Singapore Expats Forum

Advice on EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Netasia

Advice on EP

Postby Netasia » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 6:53 pm

Hi all, after reading all the post, i understand it's challenging to obtain the EP here in singapore. I have a friend who is currently going thru the same issue and I would like to seek advise here.

My friend is a chinese national who graduated in a Japanese Uni (reconised in MOM list), got her masters in Singapore, found a job but unable to start work because her EP was rejected twice, the reason given was "insufficient working experience".

She had 3 years of working experience in Japan (but is part-time) and 1 year (full-time) back in China.

Her current Japanese company wanted to employ her because she is able to communicate well in japanese & she's familiar with the culture as she had stay in Japan for 5 years. The company main office is in japan and had setup a branch in singapore recently with only 3 staff, the company owns several manufacturing plans in china and my friend's main role will be co-ordinating the projects between japan, china & singapore. The agreed salary is $2.5k/mth.

Please advise what can he or the company do to get the EP approve? thanks.
Not sure what other background information do I need to post.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Advice on EP

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 8:32 pm

Netasia wrote:Hi all, after reading all the post, i understand it's challenging to obtain the EP here in singapore. I have a friend who is currently going thru the same issue and I would like to seek advise here.

My friend is a chinese national who graduated in a Japanese Uni (reconised in MOM list), got her masters in Singapore, found a job but unable to start work because her EP was rejected twice, the reason given was "insufficient working experience".

She had 3 years of working experience in Japan (but is part-time) and 1 year (full-time) back in China.

Was her working experience directly related to the job she is applying for here in Singapore? With only 1 year experience she would be pretty hard pressed to be able to convince MOM that she is "more" capable than a local/PR with the same degree and minimal experience.

Her current Japanese company wanted to employ her because she is able to communicate well in japanese & she's familiar with the culture as she had stay in Japan for 5 years. The company main office is in japan and had setup a branch in singapore recently with only 3 staff, the company owns several manufacturing plans in china and my friend's main role will be co-ordinating the projects between japan, china & singapore. The agreed salary is $2.5k/mth.

What needs to be done at this point is to appeal the rejection and get an audience with an MOM officer. She needs to do this and she needs to bring along the company's head of the Singapore office to put forward the scenario that she is being hired for and why she is imminently qualified for the position (PRC, Japanese language and intimately acquainted with Japan due to her 5 years in the country along with her home country and Singapore as well, having done here Masters degree here. All the facts need to be addressed in a letter from the company on company letterhead as well for her file at MOM. I think she has a good chance but it's going to take a full on approach with all the ammunition she can muster. Quite a few who go this route are successful in overturning rejections.

Please advise what can he or the company do to get the EP approve? thanks.
Not sure what other background information do I need to post.

Good Luck.

sms

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 8:54 pm

I think it is because they are only paying her 2.5K. If she has the education and the skills to coordinate projects in Japan, she ought to be worth more. Good project managers cost a lot more than 2.5K per month. Something doesn't add up.

Netasia

Postby Netasia » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:43 pm

thanks for the prompt reply. unfortunately her 1 year experience is not directly related to her current job scope except for the translation part.

the japanese company is willing train her up, that's why the 2.5k starting salary, i think.

thanks for the advice, will post our experience here if the final appeal turns positive.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 5:22 am

Netasia wrote:thanks for the prompt reply. unfortunately her 1 year experience is not directly related to her current job scope except for the translation part.

the japanese company is willing train her up, that's why the 2.5k starting salary, i think.

thanks for the advice, will post our experience here if the final appeal turns positive.

If the job experience is not related, and she needs to be trained, then the only thing she has going is Japanese language skills, and the appeal must demonstrate why the company requires a Japanese speaker.