Singapore Expats Forum

A smoker neighbour

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:

AE Logistics - Singapore Movers
Post Reply
zhaowl88
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 5:45 pm

A smoker neighbour

Post by zhaowl88 » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 5:50 pm

I would like to seek everyone opinions & comments about inconsiderate smoker neighbour:

On 8 dec 2007, we received our second baby girl. She has pair of big eyes, she
look cute and adorable. Our family was full of delight to welcome her arrived to
this world.

Unfortunately, our nightmare was begin one week before her full month. She was
diagnose with severe heart problem by doctor when we notice she could not able
to suck milk and cry loud. Her face change color and look very bad.

She was undergo first operation on her first full month. 9 month and 5 days, we
undergo the tougher times that we never met. In and out of Kkh hospital daily.
Total having 3 times of hearts surgery.

This really let us think back that what cause our baby has heart problem? Both
of us, do not have past history of heart problem before nor our elder
genaration. What is the cause?

After we check the information which obtain from internet that may be
enviromental factors such as pollution play a huge role in this disease/defect.
We live at High floor of HDB Flat. There will no be any serious air pollution.

After our analysis the issue, we notice that our downstair neighbour is a
serious smoker. He almost smoke every night in his room which we can easily
smell it from our house. However, we do not really bother that the second hand
cigarette smell will hurt a lot to pregnancy woman.

During my wife's pregnancy period, she alway can smell cigarette smell every
night from our room. When I want to make complaint about it, she just don't want
to make things worse as he is our neighbour. She is kind and understanding.

After I think over and over again. I feel very angry. 3 years pass, our baby
girl finally overcome all the tough times and she on nursery now. However, she
still on following up appointment with Hospital.


I have rise up the issue to neighbour before but he just ignore my words.
In my case, if I want to issue a sue to downstair neighbour, how many percent of
success to win the case? It mabe a rare case

My wife do not want to make some much trouble, should I let the matters rest? . In this case, how can I make a complaint to this smoker neighbour? I believe that everyone also do not want to put their own health in risk and accept take in second hand cigarette smell.

Thank you.
.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Post by JayCee » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 6:03 pm

I'm confused, you say you can smell the cigarette smoke in your room from the guy downstairs, didn't you close your windows?

zhaowl88
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 5:45 pm

Post by zhaowl88 » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 6:14 pm

why must I close the window just because should keep away the smell. Then I should close my window every night. Should not breath in fresh air everynight ? you can?

User avatar
longstebe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Netherlands

Post by longstebe » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 7:02 pm

Surely the guy can smoke as much as he wants.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 549
Joined: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 1:12 am
Location: Singapore

Post by curiousgeorge » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 7:45 pm

I am sorry to hear about your child's ill health.
But this is a classic example of where "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Firstly, there is absolutely no evidence to link Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) with heart disease. Much as the powers that be would like that to be the case, any agency pontificating on the topic will tell you that it "may"or that it is "believed".

Secondly - your baby was diagnosed one week before her first full month i.e. at 3 weeks old. I presume she displayed symptoms before then, so somehow, a neighbour downstairs with his windows open, and you with your windows open on a high floor (assuming a breeze I guess) somehow caused heart disease in about 2 weeks? Honestly, it sounds more like a congenital condition.

I don't think you will find a lawyer to take that case, it is going to be impossible to prove that 2 weeks of ETS from an apartment on a different floor in a breeze is going to cause heart disease!

Why not go back to the Doctor and ask what the possible causes are in your child? I understand your pain and frustration, but you're not going to win anything.

I also understand the nuisance of smoke smells, I guess that should be addressed to your HDB management.

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 8:15 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by durain » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 8:32 pm

zhaowl88 wrote:why must I close the window just because should keep away the smell. Then I should close my window every night. Should not breath in fresh air everynight ? you can?
so you want your neighbour to close his windows?

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9400
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 9:30 pm

durain wrote:
zhaowl88 wrote:why must I close the window just because should keep away the smell. Then I should close my window every night. Should not breath in fresh air everynight ? you can?
so you want your neighbour to close his windows?
Well....yes.
Not that I agree with OP on his approach.

boliaopeople
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:20 pm

Re: A smoker neighbour

Post by boliaopeople » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:25 pm

zhaowl88 wrote:I would like to seek everyone opinions & comments about inconsiderate smoker neighbour:

On 8 dec 2007, we received our second baby girl. She has pair of big eyes, she
look cute and adorable. Our family was full of delight to welcome her arrived to
this world.

Unfortunately, our nightmare was begin one week before her full month. She was
diagnose with severe heart problem by doctor when we notice she could not able
to suck milk and cry loud. Her face change color and look very bad.

She was undergo first operation on her first full month. 9 month and 5 days, we
undergo the tougher times that we never met. In and out of Kkh hospital daily.
Total having 3 times of hearts surgery.

This really let us think back that what cause our baby has heart problem? Both
of us, do not have past history of heart problem before nor our elder
genaration. What is the cause?

After we check the information which obtain from internet that may be
enviromental factors such as pollution play a huge role in this disease/defect.
We live at High floor of HDB Flat. There will no be any serious air pollution.

After our analysis the issue, we notice that our downstair neighbour is a
serious smoker. He almost smoke every night in his room which we can easily
smell it from our house. However, we do not really bother that the second hand
cigarette smell will hurt a lot to pregnancy woman.

During my wife's pregnancy period, she alway can smell cigarette smell every
night from our room. When I want to make complaint about it, she just don't want
to make things worse as he is our neighbour. She is kind and understanding.

After I think over and over again. I feel very angry. 3 years pass, our baby
girl finally overcome all the tough times and she on nursery now. However, she
still on following up appointment with Hospital.


I have rise up the issue to neighbour before but he just ignore my words.
In my case, if I want to issue a sue to downstair neighbour, how many percent of
success to win the case? It mabe a rare case

My wife do not want to make some much trouble, should I let the matters rest? . In this case, how can I make a complaint to this smoker neighbour? I believe that everyone also do not want to put their own health in risk and accept take in second hand cigarette smell.

Thank you.
.
Hmm, kind of scary to stay near you. I might get sue for anything. I'm sorry to hear about your kid but seriously, 3 weeks and have heart problem? I think you are just being overly paranoid.

zhaowl88
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 5:45 pm

Post by zhaowl88 » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 4:27 am

Thank for all the comment. I would like to highlight that my wife already take in second hand cigarette smell before her pregnancy period. Which mean that during 9 months of pregnancy, we almost can smell the cigarette smell every night from our room. Furthermore, she cough a lot during her pregnancy period. doctor has no choice prescribe cough medicine for her.

Not the three weeks. So that has misunderstanding the my message.

zhaowl88
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 5:45 pm

Post by zhaowl88 » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 4:36 am

durain wrote:
zhaowl88 wrote:why must I close the window just because should keep away the smell. Then I should close my window every night. Should not breath in fresh air everynight ? you can?
so you want your neighbour to close his windows?
As a smoker, it should know that second hand cigarette smell will cause badly to other. Moreover, many places in Singapore already ban. You can think over to quit if not, go far from your house to smoke and not want others who do not smoke must accept your smoking habit. It a bit selfish.

Right?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 5:05 am

zhaowl88 wrote:
durain wrote:
zhaowl88 wrote:why must I close the window just because should keep away the smell. Then I should close my window every night. Should not breath in fresh air everynight ? you can?
so you want your neighbour to close his windows?
As a smoker, it should know that second hand cigarette smell will cause badly to other. Moreover, many places in Singapore already ban. You can think over to quit if not, go far from your house to smoke and not want others who do not smoke must accept your smoking habit. It a bit selfish.

Right?
So did you go and ask the neighbour to stop emitting so much smoke as it was causing you a problem, or do you just want to whine here to no effect in retrospect?

zhaowl88
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 5:45 pm

Post by zhaowl88 » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 9:43 am

JR8 wrote:
zhaowl88 wrote:
durain wrote: so you want your neighbour to close his windows?
As a smoker, it should know that second hand cigarette smell will cause badly to other. Moreover, many places in Singapore already ban. You can think over to quit if not, go far from your house to smoke and not want others who do not smoke must accept your smoking habit. It a bit selfish.

Right?
So did you go and ask the neighbour to stop emitting so much smoke as it
was causing you a problem, or do you just want to whine here to no effect in
retrospect?
Yes, of course I have rise the issue to him when met him Downstair. But he just ignore my words.

zhaowl88
Member
Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 5:45 pm

Post by zhaowl88 » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 9:52 am

zhaowl88 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
zhaowl88 wrote: As a smoker, it should know that second hand cigarette smell will cause badly to other. Moreover, many places in Singapore already ban. You can think over to quit if not, go far from your house to smoke and not want others who do not smoke must accept your smoking habit. It a bit selfish.

Right?
So did you go and ask the neighbour to stop emitting so much smoke as it

was causing you a problem, or do you just want to whine here to no effect in
retrospect?
Yes, of course I have rise the issue to him when met him Downstair. But he
just ignore my words.
furthermore, I mention that we do not think that serious and my wife do not want to make difficult to Downstair neighbour.

Answers?
Regular
Regular
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat, 06 May 2006 3:35 pm

Post by Answers? » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 9:56 am

you think it could be a case of bad seed and not passive smoke that caused the problem....

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 10:33 pm
Location: Not Singapore

Post by JayCee » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:22 am

zhaowl88 wrote:why must I close the window just because should keep away the smell.
So that your pregnant wife doesn't breath it in every day? Or were you happy for her to suffer just to make a point?

Are you planning to sue Indonesia next time there are forest fires and the smog blows over to Singapore?

Whatever happened to common sense
Last edited by JayCee on Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply


Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest