Singapore Expats Forum

PR Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Cancer

PR Application

Postby Cancer » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 3:56 pm

Hello!

I'm in the process of apply for PR and looking at the application form, there's nothing to distinguish myself from the other applicants. I'm not even a University graduate and I've only worked in Singapore for 6 months. Thing is, I've lived in Singapore for at least 3/4 of my life.

A bit of background:

Malaysian Chinese;
Completed my Primary, Secondary and Tertiary (Polytechnic) education in Singapore. I left for Malaysia at 12 years old (studies) and returned to Singapore at 14 to continue Secondary.

I've been living in Singapore for at least 15 years.

Graduated with a Diploma last June from local Polytechnic;
Employment with good local company since July (EP approved);

Here's the catch:
I currently stay in Johor Bahru and drive to Singapore daily. My passport does not have to be stamped as I have an EP.

What are my chances??? Considering that I stopped living in Singapore.

I read that the government has severely reduced the quota. I'm really worried. Not getting approval will mess up my plans.

Please advise!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 7:47 pm

As you are Chinese, you obviously have a leg up. And considering that Malaysian Chinese and Singaporean Chinese are the same for all intents & purposes, the only thing that might hold you back is the lack of a degree. But, with the Chinese having the lowest fertility rate of all the races here, I'm pretty sure you would be a shoe-in. :-|

Cancer

Postby Cancer » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 10:51 pm

Thanks. Those were reassuring words.

I do intend to further my studies at a local University by 2013. Permanent Residency will definitely come in handy. Part-time jobs also seems more accessible, as a PR.

I was concerned about how NOT residing in SG could have a negative impact on my application. There's this section at the end of the first page that requires 'Current Address in SG'.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 11:19 pm

Well, I really didn't feel that needed addressing. You know you will have to move back into Singapore at least until you get your PR.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 7:21 pm

Cancer wrote:Thanks. Those were reassuring words.

I do intend to further my studies at a local University by 2013. Permanent Residency will definitely come in handy. Part-time jobs also seems more accessible, as a PR.

I was concerned about how NOT residing in SG could have a negative impact on my application. There's this section at the end of the first page that requires 'Current Address in SG'.

was concerned about how NOT residing in SG could have a negative impact on my application.
You should be concerned about your address, as you are not residential if you are commuting from JB. So move back before applying.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 11 Jan 2011 11:37 pm

ksl wrote:
Cancer wrote:Thanks. Those were reassuring words.

was concerned about how NOT residing in SG could have a negative impact on my application.
You should be concerned about your address, as you are not residential if you are commuting from JB. So move back before applying.

you need to live in SG for 1-2 years, since in your previous addresses in the application form will show that you were not living in SG when you were working in SG and that wont do good to your PR application?

filexpat

What is the chances for approval?

Postby filexpat » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 10:17 am

HI guys.. I am filipino and have an application for PR early December 2010. I applied as family including my wife as previously on S pass holder and my son (3 years old) who is on depndant's pass currently under my EP pass (Q1). I am working here in Singapore for almost 7 years in the same company and earning $2,600.00 only. What do you think guys are the chance of being PR based on my data? Thank you for your reply in advance.

Best Regards,
filexpat

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 6:45 pm

Wait till election then apply
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

filexpat

Postby filexpat » Sat, 12 Feb 2011 7:23 pm

Thnk you for your reply... I had mentioned I applied since December 2010 and now in 2nd month of waiting.. Kindly go through with my data and assess.. How is the chances..? Thanks...

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:38 am

filexpat wrote:Thnk you for your reply... I had mentioned I applied since December 2010 and now in 2nd month of waiting.. Kindly go through with my data and assess.. How is the chances..? Thanks...

It will take a minimum 6 months now and the chances are not good at all, my true opinion is you have no chance. It's almost if all the applications are being dumped in the bin to be honest. In fact it would be very interesting to read of the successes from September 2010.

Though you can reapply after the election if your S pass is renewed, be a little patient, it's really not the right time to apply, and you may well have dropped yourself in it, with your EP renewal. You will just have to cross fingers and hope for the best.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 1:05 am

filexpat wrote:Thnk you for your reply... I had mentioned I applied since December 2010 and now in 2nd month of waiting.. Kindly go through with my data and assess.. How is the chances..? Thanks...

AS I HAVE MENTIONED before NOW ? no chance

Later after election yes , you can go for it.

Rate of approval 50-50 after election. NOW ZERO
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

filexpat

Postby filexpat » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 1:25 am

That was complete discouragement... well i guess i just need to wait and see since I already applied, I should know earlier how important is the election with them... Hope we can go through...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 7:55 am

filexpat wrote:That was complete discouragement... well i guess i just need to wait and see since I already applied, I should know earlier how important is the election with them... Hope we can go through...

As much as I want to put up your hope but the reality is NOT. Many since Sep 2009 application be it EP renewal , PR application, LPR, PEP whatever been rejected for no apparent reason nor rhyme. ICA nor MOM did explain what went wrong .
The PR application before 2009 was about 300K and approval about 90 a year then but now it trickle to about 10 K a year . The immigration policy is closely monitored on the discontentment of the local.
It hurts to hear this but I would not tell you otherwise and better to be prepared then telling you that everything is sweet and rosy.

Be prepared for rejection . If you managed to receive approval good on you because you are the very few that managed to get

filexpat

Postby filexpat » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:23 pm

Thank you for your information... Ok I just sit and relax be prepared for the worst and plan for th future.. Your last statement made me feel a bit OK as there is a few chosen lucky people.. hope I'm one of them.. Thank you...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:46 pm

Thank you for your information... Ok I just sit and relax be prepared for the worst and plan for th future.. Your last statement made me feel a bit OK as there is a few chosen lucky people.. hope I'm one of them.. Thank you...

I am assuming, then, that you currently work in the Financial Sector and are earning in excess of 250K/pa. :-|