Singapore Expats

Dover Court

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
SCinSG

Post by SCinSG » Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:10 am

Hi Leaving London,

While a number of schools are setting up new campuses outside the city centre, this probably has much more to do with the availability (and cost) of land to set up a campus than with expats living in these areas. You can see many schools moving farther from the centre -- SAS in Woodlands, Canadian International School's huge new campus in Jurong West, UWC and SAIS in the east, and more.

There are still huge numbers of expats living centrally (Holland, Bukit Timah, River Valley, Newton/Novena), so it's not like there's a mass exodus of them leaving for the East or West. When thinking about where to live, you'll need to strike a balance between proximity to where you work, where your kids go to school and an area that you will enjoy living in. If you can get all three, you're set!

Take a look on Google Maps and mark out some of the key locations of schools, work and potential places to live and you'll get a sense of what looks right.

Good luck!

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:11 pm

My daughter got a place to start after Easter at Dover Court. She isn't sure whether to accept the offer or wait for OFS. She is going at Year 8. Is the school facilities really that bad? The library realy that small?

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:54 am

We have two children who started in Years 7 & 2 respectively last September. Classes are good sized c. 20 and teachers are excellent. Yes the canteen is a bit basic but I had worse as a child in the 70's ! What we like about the school is its size. Not too big so there is a strong sense of community. We also did not want something 'too expat' despite being a British School. Kids come from all countries so great mix and opportunity for pupils to learn from other cultures. Tanglin is also very popular and probably has better facilities but is much bigger and we did not think it was the best choice for our children. They love Dover , have made lots of friends and are receiving a good quality education in my view.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Dover is great, but ...

Post by The Ref » Thu, 02 Feb 2012 10:53 pm

If your daughter is going in year 8, you need to know that most students leave at the end of year 8. You might find yourself in the same circumstance as me, paying the upfront fees to find you have to change schools anyway. The year 8 has two classes but years 9 and up really dont have many at all in the year.

Dover is really good and I would recomend it to younger kids (my 10yo is there also) and both love the school, but I wish I knew that everyone left before starting.

aman kaur bhullar

Post by aman kaur bhullar » Fri, 03 Feb 2012 6:33 pm

we are also looking at this school along others, we will be moving from London to Singapore in July too. kids are 6years old and 3.5 year old We are going down to Singapore next week, my first time there and ive agreed to move out there :???:

I am trying to get in contact with as many schools as i can, so far we are going to see SAIS, OWIS & NPS, also got in contact with Dover court and Chatsworth....

I can revert back here once im back

Good luck to you all

mrs.r

Post by mrs.r » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 3:28 am

Hi,

aman kaur bhullar I am very interested to hear what you think of the schools. How old is your child/children?

I think it's hard to know until you have been to the school to look around and only you know what is best suited to your kids.
Mrs.r

Leaving london

Post by Leaving london » Mon, 27 Feb 2012 4:06 am

Hi it's a big YES to dover ct for us. My hubbies out there at the moment and I made him do all the school visits. We were thinking chatsworth in east or eton in east but after he saw Dover ct he said there was absolutely no comparison and our kids just had to go there. We have just put them down to start in aug 2012 as we come out mid may. Not sure what I'm gonna do to entertain the kids for may, June, July & aug till they start though? Might book in a summer camp or do some home schooling. The admissions people were fab, grounds great, teachers were friendly and most of all the kids were happy.
Our kids can't wait. Do let me know if you /anyone is going to Dover ct. my kids are nearly 4 and nearly 6(reception& y2 in aug 2012)
Good luck
Leaving London x

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Sat, 03 Mar 2012 3:59 pm

Leaving london wrote:Hi it's a big YES to dover ct for us. My hubbies out there at the moment and I made him do all the school visits. We were thinking chatsworth in east or eton in east but after he saw Dover ct he said there was absolutely no comparison and our kids just had to go there. We have just put them down to start in aug 2012 as we come out mid may. Not sure what I'm gonna do to entertain the kids for may, June, July & aug till they start though? Might book in a summer camp or do some home schooling. The admissions people were fab, grounds great, teachers were friendly and most of all the kids were happy.
Our kids can't wait. Do let me know if you /anyone is going to Dover ct. my kids are nearly 4 and nearly 6(reception& y2 in aug 2012)
Good luck
Leaving London x
Our kids left at half term in UK during the summer term so had a long wait until they started in September. Just use the time to let them acclimatise without pressure of schooling etc. Plenty to do and to get used to the place.

Makingthemove
Regular
Regular

Post by Makingthemove » Wed, 07 Mar 2012 2:34 am

Aman, I'd be pleased to hear what you have to say as well, after your visit. I've also posted on here asking all the same qs. Be good to get some current feedback...

daviedue

Hi -

Post by daviedue » Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:56 am

Leaving london wrote:Hi it's a big YES to dover ct for us. My hubbies out there at the moment and I made him do all the school visits. We were thinking chatsworth in east or eton in east but after he saw Dover ct he said there was absolutely no comparison and our kids just had to go there. We have just put them down to start in aug 2012 as we come out mid may. Not sure what I'm gonna do to entertain the kids for may, June, July & aug till they start though? Might book in a summer camp or do some home schooling. The admissions people were fab, grounds great, teachers were friendly and most of all the kids were happy.
Good luck
Leaving London x
Hi - I've just applied to Dover Court for my 2 sons (aged 7 & 5) - they will start in Aug 12 ! Looking forward to our move and good to see that there will be other new students in the same situation !
SD

Leaving london

Post by Leaving london » Fri, 09 Mar 2012 7:38 am

Hi davidue

We'll see you @ Dover court in August then! My son will be going into year 2. Will your be in his class? How lovely to hear of another new boy starting (I sound surprised but obviously I know there will be more). My son is v excited obviously he's gonna miss his mates but I have promised him there will be loads of cool boys to play with. Where are you from? America? We're from London, England.

Leaving London

daviedue

Post by daviedue » Fri, 09 Mar 2012 8:50 am

Hi - Yes my youngest will be starting year 2 and also can't wait. We are from UK (Nottingham), but just spent last 2 years in USA so moving straight from here to Singapore. Glad to here that they won't be the only "new kids". I'm sure they'll have a great time. When do you move out there?
SD

Makingthemove
Regular
Regular

Post by Makingthemove » Fri, 09 Mar 2012 11:06 am

It's an almost definite yes for Dover from us too - one son, going into Y3. Are they ready for all of us? :)

Which areas are you looking to live in? We're going to do all that once there but so far I've been browsing very local condos near B Vista & Dover MRTs.

Anyway, see you all there.

Currently in (and from) London, UK

daviedue

Post by daviedue » Fri, 09 Mar 2012 7:59 pm

Hi - we still haven't had confirmation of a place at Dover Court yet. Also applied for Tanglin, but just see what happens as wait lists are huge. We have 2 boys, 5 & 7 - so want to live somewhere that they can run around and has a good pool. We'll wait until we arrive around May / June time to find somewhere to live. Looked at Holland Village, condo's near Vivo City, Sentosa and East Coast (not far from Marina Bay) - it's feels like there is more space over there and close to beach and cycle tracks. Also want to be close to MRT and easy access to walk out in evenings to restaurants/bars - No idea really !!
SD

Leaving london

Post by Leaving london » Sat, 10 Mar 2012 5:25 am

Hi making the move - yes we are looking near Dover mrt and holland village areas. We had thought east coast initially as my husband will be working raffles place but he visited and decided west was the best plus there's a great playground for the kids nearby. There are some amazing condos there. We are looking at the Marbella (shame about the name) and the serenade.

Davidue - yes we'll be there from mid may. I am going to book the kids into a summer camp for a few weeks but perhaps we can introduce the boys before they start so they will have at least one friendly face as soon as they start? I will try to pm you. I'm actually of to Miami for a few weeks holiday.

The Dover court school bus sounds good think it's a pretty early start though!

Leaving London