Dover Court

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Leaving Gloucs

Post by Leaving Gloucs » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks again.

Arriving just after new year. I just wish the next month was over. The usual stresses and Christmas thrown into the mix! Really looking forward to it now that my main concern of schools so sorted. Everyone seems very friendly and helpful which is reassuring.

Makingthemove
Regular
Regular

Post by Makingthemove » Wed, 05 Dec 2012 8:46 pm

I have to say that the hideous business of packing up and leaving home will now always rank highly in my Stress History! The last month is probably the worst bit because you are simply tired and just want to be here. By Christmas it will be almost done and you can use the holidays to have nice festive goodbyes - and then come on out to the heat.

Yes it is uber-friendly out here. Probably as friendly as packing is stressful. Clear a space in your phone book and brace yourself for plenty of social stuff.

Not long now.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Re: School uniform for Dover Court

Post by Travailes » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:59 am

Leaving Gloucs wrote:We are moving out soon and have got places for our two girls in Dover Court. Can anyone tell me what the uniform footwear is please? I have emailed the school more than once but have not received replies and I would like to buy shoes or sandals before we leave the UK. What do they wear for PE and are open toe sandals allowed? Is there anything else they need that isn't purchased from the uniform shop? Far too much to think about! Thanks
I can confirm that the children can wear sandals up to and including Year 2 - then black shoes in Juniors from Year 3.
You probably have been told but there is usually an Induction Day for new starters the day before the school returns from holidays. Here you get to meet form and year teachers and pick up the bits that the shop in HV does not sell - swimming costume, PE (house coded) kit, hat and some other stuff from memory. I,d recommend buying shoes, white ankle socks, underwear etc in the UK from the usual cheap outlets as it can be expensive here until you find the shops off the beaten track. Similarly, water bottles, lunch boxes etc
What year are your two going into ?
Out of interest where are you 'leaving Gloucs' from ?
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

Leaving Gloucs

Post by Leaving Gloucs » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for your reply. My eldest is not going to be happy about shoes in that heat! Going into year 2 and 4 and we are leaving from GL17.
Last edited by Leaving Gloucs on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hcaln5

Post by Hcaln5 » Mon, 11 Feb 2013 1:09 pm

Hello,

I cannot recommend Dover Court. The academic level of the school is not impressive, and the headmistress is extremely rude. We have had several issues with the school, yet she simply rejects to discuss and resolve these.

All the best with your choice of school.

Leaving Gloucs

Post by Leaving Gloucs » Mon, 11 Feb 2013 3:56 pm

How long have you been there? Worried now.

Hackerwill

Post by Hackerwill » Fri, 15 Feb 2013 10:23 am

I don't agree with Hcalm5. While the communication is appalling and the Head Teacher is quite eccentric, the school itself is excellent, at least in the junior years. I know teachers in UWC and Tanglin senior school who have said that children who came from Dover had often had a better level of education than from other schools or from within Tanglin or UWC.

Our kids are very happy and their teachers have been great. It is also a very happy little school, again for juniors

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 1:22 pm

Hackerwill wrote:I don't agree with Hcalm5. While the communication is appalling and the Head Teacher is quite eccentric, the school itself is excellent, at least in the junior years. I know teachers in UWC and Tanglin senior school who have said that children who came from Dover had often had a better level of education than from other schools or from within Tanglin or UWC.

Our kids are very happy and their teachers have been great. It is also a very happy little school, again for juniors
I'd echo that and add up to about Year 8 in Seniors, the school has been excellent for our two. Headmistress is a little eccentric but then most are ! We have always dealt with Form Teachers direct and have sorted issues and shared feedback.

I would say communication is more stone-age than appalling. There is no emailing so kids come home with shed loads of school messages which gets a bit tedious but I have to say it always reminds me to update the diary.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

pupsiecola

Post by pupsiecola » Sat, 23 Mar 2013 8:39 pm

Hi all,

I've just read all the posts on this thread and wondered if you could update me on how you're finding DC now you've been there a while...

We moved from the UK last Summer. My boys (10 and nearly 8) have been at an International School but we're looking at changing. One in particular has been very unhappy and almost has a personality transplant during the school week. :(

I would very much appreciate knowing if DC lived up to your expectations.

Thanks.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:28 pm

pupsiecola wrote:Hi all,

I've just read all the posts on this thread and wondered if you could update me on how you're finding DC now you've been there a while...

We moved from the UK last Summer. My boys (10 and nearly 8) have been at an International School but we're looking at changing. One in particular has been very unhappy and almost has a personality transplant during the school week. :(

I would very much appreciate knowing if DC lived up to your expectations.

Thanks.
Moved two kids here two years ago from the UK state system when we moved here. Has been a revelation in respect of the improvements in all subjects and learning as well as their increased maturity and independence. This may be the legacy of smaller
classes, children who want to be educated etc but we have no complaints.

Dan8

Similar situation

Post by Dan8 » Wed, 29 May 2013 5:32 pm

Hi,

I have just found out we are moving to SIngapore in August from London. Just started my research so this site is really helpful.

I am looking for a school for my 4 year old and all the posts seem to favour Dover Court. We are coming out in a month to look at schools and places to live. Did you have a short list of primary schools? I guess where we live will dictate where our little girl goes to school. Not sure whether central or east would be better.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Danielle

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Similar situation

Post by Travailes » Thu, 30 May 2013 1:48 pm

Dan8 wrote:Hi,

I have just found out we are moving to SIngapore in August from London. Just started my research so this site is really helpful.

I am looking for a school for my 4 year old and all the posts seem to favour Dover Court. We are coming out in a month to look at schools and places to live. Did you have a short list of primary schools? I guess where we live will dictate where our little girl goes to school. Not sure whether central or east would be better.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Danielle
Dover is a great choice for a 4 year old from my experience. Follows the UK curriculum which was important to us. Tanglin Trust School is the other option for that but with very long waiting lists at that age group (but check). You can buy a guaranteed place for 85k GBP if you are that way inclined or your company has a debenture !!!

Other schools off the top of my head are but following the IB scheme are

OFS - Overseas Family School
UWC - United World College
CIS - Canadian International School
SI - Stamford International (US)
Avondale Grammar
Nexus International School

We have UK friends with kids at all these schools.

manashwin

Re: Dover Court

Post by manashwin » Wed, 29 Apr 2015 6:16 pm

Hi Everyone.
Just moved to Singapore and looking at Dovercourt for my children aged 13 and 7. Will be very keen to get some more recent feedback on the experiences of the school.