Singapore Expats Forum

Car Damaged by Falling Branches

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Car Damaged by Falling Branches

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 6:34 pm

Okay, so i was driving down Dunearn Road in the middle lane earlier this week and this branch fell on the bonnet of my car. It must have been a reasonably dead branch because it virtually exploded on impact.

Some bits went bouncing across the bonnet, some against the windscreen and some off the roof over the back of the car.

I've now got quite a nice collection of scratches and dents on the bonnet and one dent on the edge of the roof......you know the kind of dent that you get on car doors when they're dinged? That kind.

I wrote to the LTA to see what recourse I can have in getting compensation for the repair but I doubt i'll hear anything. Any ideas if this is just something i'll have to bear myself? I mean the tree itself might not be 100% healthy if there are dead branches dropping off so it could be the maintenance isn't being done properly.

Otherwise I'm just going to take a chainsaw and cut the mother down.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 1:08 am

A hugh tree branch fell on my car in Sept 09 too, along Eng Neo road,

Anyways, if the LTA had done maintenance along the stretch of road where the branch fell (tree location), LTA will not be liable, but if it is 6 months or longer, you will be paid.

Anyways, the day was Saturday, when it fell, and guess what, my car number won the third prise in the 4D draw on Sunday, so buy the digits of your car number for the next 3 draws.

Good luck and who knows, you might be able to buy a better car.... :D

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 9:27 am

ev-disinfection wrote:Good luck and who knows, you might be able to buy a better car.... :D


Thanks. Did you get anything from LTA? How did you manage to prove a tree did the damage? For me it's not like i stopped, picked up the pieces from the middle of the road or took any photos.

By the time it happens it is already too late. Well I don't know yet if LTA would even get back to me on this yet.



p.s. I don't need a 'better' I just need to get the dents out of the one i have. :wink:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 9:40 am

Well, as it was heavy raining that morning, i stopped and brush off the leaves and branches off my car, and moved off, (was going to do a job that morning)
I could not remember which tree it was, and did not claim for it, as excess was SGD 600.00, and learnt about the 6 month maintenance thing from a friend a couple of weeks after.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 7:45 pm

LTA typically responses in 2-3 weeks.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:47 am

To keep you up to date: I just got a reply from LTA stating the issue comes under the umbrella of the National Parks Boards, which I half suspected, and that the LTA already informed them and that I should then get a reply from them directly.

So.....wait and see on that one.

I've not washed the car or done anything with it yet just in case i can get somebody to have a look at it for inspection.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 4:35 pm

National Parks were reasonably quick:


WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Mr. Scooby,

We refer to your email dated 6 January 2011 as forwarded by LTA and are sorry to learn of the damage to your vehicle.

2 In order for us to look into the matter, we have to identify the tree
alleged to have caused the damage to your vehicle. It is presently unclear from your description which tree you are referring to. In this regard, we will require you to identify the tree that allegedly caused damage to your vehicle by way of a detailed site sketch of the location identifying the tree in question with reference to nearby lampposts, buildings, footpaths or other distinguishing landmarks and/or photographs of the location and tree in question.

3. If you would like to make a claim, you will need to substantiate your
claim with all the relevant supporting documents such as repair invoices, receipts and photographs of the damage for our consideration.

Thank you.



Opinion..... Am I wasting time and possibly money without guarantee of a return to fix the damage? I would have to submit a claim to NPB so they could then forward to their insurance company who may or may not approve the claim. I can't identify the EXACT tree and i would be guessing to get it within a selection of half a dozen.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 12 Jan 2011 4:41 pm

ev-disinfection wrote:A hugh tree branch fell on my car in Sept 09 too, along Eng Neo road,

Anyways, if the LTA had done maintenance along the stretch of road where the branch fell (tree location), LTA will not be liable, but if it is 6 months or longer, you will be paid.

Anyways, the day was Saturday, when it fell, and guess what, my car number won the third prise in the 4D draw on Sunday, so buy the digits of your car number for the next 3 draws.

Good luck and who knows, you might be able to buy a better car.... :D


Like me, i could not identify which tree it was, probably good to go back to the site and choose one, that most likely be the tree.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue, 23 Nov 2010
Location: Siglap village
Contact:

Postby InTheBlue » Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:15 pm

I had a large branch fall on my car overnight in my condo car park. Left a very large dent in the bonnet.

Condo refused to pay up when asked for compensation as I had parked it in a temporary spot rather than my personal bay.

On a good note I got the bonnet fixed and resprayed for $200.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:22 am

Condos I don't think ever would pay for damage. They always stick up Disclaimers stating that parking is done at the owners risk. I think this is supposed to cover tham against both damage and theft.

For my case, the claim is now with the Parks Department so will see.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

simplycars
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 24 Feb 2011

Postby simplycars » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 6:17 am

Hi guys

Juz to share my personal experience with you. 2 years back, I had a similar incident. Was driving my wife car to a nearby coffee shop for lunch as my car went for regular servicing. Nevertheless, to cut the story short, it was raining and my car was parked at a ura parking lot. After lunch to my horror, a couple of branches hit my bonnet and roof of my wife car. Nightmare starts. I send the honda jazz to kah motor for repair as it is barely a year old (do not want to void the warranty period). Firstly KAH motor do not do 3rd party claim and wanted me to pay or do 1st party claim. Next I wrote to URA and they kick the ball to NPB. NPB replied and say it is act of GOD. There is nothing much they can do as it was raining heavily. I told them off (and cc to URA) that are they saying that on raining days we cant park under the trees in the parking lot? They didnt answer the question directly but replied that I should claim under my own insurance. I refused. Got a lawyer classmate of mine to mail them and URA pushed the ball to NPB stating that they are not liable as they only "lease" car park lots to me and it is govt rules to plant trees and asked me to follow up with NPB. NPB replied again, its act of GOD. My lawyer then "threatened" to sue them. With the photos given earlier and the wanting to sue them, NPB asked us to write to their contractors. The contractors replied that they have no contractual rights with me as they are the contractors for NPB and not us and therefore could not entertained me. My lawyer wrote to them and cc to URA and NPB stating it was their negligent that they didnt pune the trees which caused the accident and resulting my car was damaged by the trees. Then they replied its act of GOD. Nothing much they can do but to claim from own insurance or pay yourself. I was furious. My lawyer wrote back that they did not pune the trees regularly and thus it was their fault and seek compensation. In the meantime, wife car was struck in KAH motors for weeks. Finally after a month plus (almost 2 months), they agreed to pay after I proved I was right (they didnt pune the trees) and it was not act of GOD and I have paid my parking for the lot. I need to get the quotes first and send to them first. Got the quotes and finally they agreed to pay. Total 2 1/2 months I finally do my wife car repair. Its a hassle, but no choice. Unless you r prepared to pay on your own or claim your own insurance, you got to write n write and threatened to sue and even threatened to put on papers and only till then, they are then prepared to pay. Question raised here, are you prepared to wait or if not u got to pay on your own le...











ScoobyDoes wrote:National Parks were reasonably quick:


WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Mr. Scooby,

We refer to your email dated 6 January 2011 as forwarded by LTA and are sorry to learn of the damage to your vehicle.

2 In order for us to look into the matter, we have to identify the tree
alleged to have caused the damage to your vehicle. It is presently unclear from your description which tree you are referring to. In this regard, we will require you to identify the tree that allegedly caused damage to your vehicle by way of a detailed site sketch of the location identifying the tree in question with reference to nearby lampposts, buildings, footpaths or other distinguishing landmarks and/or photographs of the location and tree in question.

3. If you would like to make a claim, you will need to substantiate your
claim with all the relevant supporting documents such as repair invoices, receipts and photographs of the damage for our consideration.

Thank you.



Opinion..... Am I wasting time and possibly money without guarantee of a return to fix the damage? I would have to submit a claim to NPB so they could then forward to their insurance company who may or may not approve the claim. I can't identify the EXACT tree and i would be guessing to get it within a selection of half a dozen.

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 162
Joined: Tue, 23 Nov 2010
Location: Siglap village
Contact:

Postby InTheBlue » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 4:48 pm

Which tree? Are they joking? How will that make a difference? What are they going to do? Chop it down as a punishment? :D

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 02 Mar 2011 5:58 pm

InTheBlue wrote:Which tree? Are they joking? How will that make a difference? What are they going to do? Chop it down as a punishment? :D


[img][img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn28/GenieTinPot/Image004-3.jpg[/img][/img]

Wouldn't put it past them. They took down all the magnificent trees that ringed our condo (see pic). All - everything, big and small - you see there went, and similar right around the whole substantial block.

Their justification? 'Because they're old'.

:x :x :x

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:19 am

Looks like Dover Park View.... :D

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 12:30 am

Nope.... Oleander at Toa Payoh


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests