Singapore Expats Forum

Network and new friends, where can I buy cheap books?

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
thebritishraj

Network and new friends, where can I buy cheap books?

Postby thebritishraj » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 9:50 pm

Hiya

I've just moved to Singapore 2 weeks ago from UK, looking to make new friends and network. Would like to catch up for drinks/coffee after work. I'm 29M of Indian origin with a quirky sense of humour. So ppl pls dont take offence.

Oh and anyone know of a cheap online bookstore or have tried getting stuff delivered via amazon here? Whats the postage and time to delivery like?
Any suggestions on that is much appreciated. (relevent suggestions)

Cheers
iNdian, iMale, iLondres
iNoVerb, i feet in can?

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Network and new friends, where can I buy cheap books?

Postby carlsum1986 » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 5:29 pm

thebritishraj wrote:Hiya

I've just moved to Singapore 2 weeks ago from UK, looking to make new friends and network. Would like to catch up for drinks/coffee after work. I'm 29M of Indian origin with a quirky sense of humour. So ppl pls dont take offence.

Oh and anyone know of a cheap online bookstore or have tried getting stuff delivered via amazon here? Whats the postage and time to delivery like?
Any suggestions on that is much appreciated. (relevent suggestions)

Cheers

with a bit of patience i think you could get a few good deals on ebay....

thebritishraj

Postby thebritishraj » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 7:46 pm

Thanks will look out for it

Emilou

Postby Emilou » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 10:24 am

Hi thebritishraj

Im a huge book fan - i treated myself to one of the new kindles from amazon before moving out here (although you can get it shipped and would take about a week i think).

If you get the one with wifi and 3G you can download books instantly from the amazon website - its really excellent.

The cost of the device was about GBP150 i seem to recall - which is a bit pricey but the ebooks do cost less than the paper version (usually about 70% of the cost) plus also you dont have to pay or wait for you book to be sent to you.. Also you dont then end up with a suitcase full of books every time you move!!

Im loving it!!

Good luck and happy reading

Emilou

Muslima70
Regular
Regular

Postby Muslima70 » Mon, 10 Jan 2011 7:25 pm

hi britishraj

if you love Reading then be it internet or the local books stores, you have lots of choices...

if on the other hand you are a voracious reader who does not want the books to pile in your residence & take up space, you could try signing up for the National library membership. i think that premium membership is like $56 for 3 years, andu get to borrow 8 books and some media items too...

and premium Plus membership is like 16 books...but a bit more expensive.

open to both local and foreigners to be NLB member...

i used to enjoy being apremium member but had stop cos im just too busy to read as much..
the advantage is that NLB does have decent selection of books both fic & non-fiction & their branches are almost everywhere... so u you can borrow at one branch and return at any branch...If u wanna reserve something only $1.55 and the first renewal for each book is always free...

Still it is a personal choice if you prefer to buy your books or just borrow 'em.

I recommend you check out the NLB catalouge & their branch location b4 deciding

http://www.nlb.gov.sg/page/Corporate_portal_page_home

Happy reading :)
Salam(peace be with you)

QueenMinnie
Regular
Regular

Postby QueenMinnie » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 10:48 am

i've found a little bookshop in One Raffles Place on about the 3rd or 4th floor. you can buy them outright or pay less to trade it back. i bought 2 fantasy novels for about SG$13.50 each, which is pretty good, since i priced one of those books back in Australia for AU$25 and the other at AU$15! they had a pretty good selection, but it just depends what genre you're into

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Postby prkravi » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 11:04 am

Not sure if you meant used books when you said Cheap Books, In Bras Basah Complex, I've seen couple of Book stores selling used books, and I must admit, I was impressed with their collection. You will need a little bit of Negotiation skills though on the prices.