Singapore Expats

Moving and Working in SG (General Inquiries)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
kokokrunch

Post by kokokrunch » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 1:59 pm

ecureilx wrote:
kokokrunch wrote: My employer applied me an E-Pass which was denied maybe because I was an undergraduate,
SMS - you sort of hit the nail in the head :D

As for the poster - well, do I presume that you are from RP ?? Well, in RP, not completing a degree - you guys consider it as a Under Graduate, where-as the rest of the world calls it "NO DEGREE' - upon completing your course, and passing, you get a bachelor of something - which is UNDERGRADUATE, and not completing doesn't make you an under graduate .. and if your logic sticks, then those completing a degree become Post graduate or what ??? :D :D no- don't be offended ..

For MOM - which follows international standard, you technically have no qualification - hence ... to overcome that, either you go for a higher - higher pay, or .... do something to fix your qualification ..

Cheers !!!!

PS: if you are not from RP, then I am sorry - but still my clarification stands re: your graduation ..
So no way out unless being paid with S$7000++ not even S-Pass

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 2:01 pm

kokokrunch wrote: You're saying its very much impossible to get an e-pass without a bachelors degree? Even on the salary bracket of approximately SG$4000-$5000 and enough experience.
Well, it is upto MOM to approve to reject, and a higher pay only justifies that the company needs you .. hence the need to look at it favorably ..
I don't have problems with being able to available an S-Pass though, as of now I don't know what my employer is trying to appeal, may I also know if MoM will recommend an S-Pass instead of E-Pass without being asked by my employer?
When you apply for E-Pass, there is an option that says "willing to consider S Pass if E pass is not accepted" but then again, your employer will not be happy - S Pass means they are subject to stringent rules for employing foreigners, compared to E Pass, and the employer has to pay a levy for E-Pass.

If your employer values you - they will know what to do ...

Cheers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 2:05 pm

kokokrunch wrote: So no way out unless being paid with S$7000++ not even S-Pass
Seriously, not in an offensive way, can I know your origin ? You are comparing S-Pass with E-Pass.

As SMS highlighted, with a higher pay - you will get into the E-Pass, P1 category ..

And did you say somewhere that the employer has declared $ 7,000 ++ ??? and remember this - the ++ don't count - only the basic pay counts - so if you get a basic pay of 1,000 and commission of 1 million - too bad: for MOM, the 1,000 is what is taken into consideration ..

Cheers and have a nice day

kokokrunch

Post by kokokrunch » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks all for the response, looks like the card is with MoM and my employer. Thanks again.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 2:08 pm

Just to Compare the difference between S Pass and E Pass: so while you may not have a problem, the employer's common concern if you are on S Pass are - lower priority in PR application (apparently - nobody knows for sure), difficulty getting dependant pass - especially when everybody knows that guys / girls start working here, and within a year, want to get married and if the spouse can't be here, they tend to resign their job and move out, difficulty applying for grants, plus levy, plus stringent quota, plus plus plus ..

cheers ...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 2:09 pm

kokokrunch wrote:Thanks all for the response, looks like the card is with MoM and my employer. Thanks again.
Since you piqued my interest - which country are you from - if you are ok to disclose ???

kokokrunch

Post by kokokrunch » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 2:19 pm

ecureilx wrote:
kokokrunch wrote: So no way out unless being paid with S$7000++ not even S-Pass
Seriously, not in an offensive way, can I know your origin ? You are comparing S-Pass with E-Pass.

As SMS highlighted, with a higher pay - you will get into the E-Pass, P1 category ..

And did you say somewhere that the employer has declared $ 7,000 ++ ??? and remember this - the ++ don't count - only the basic pay counts - so if you get a basic pay of 1,000 and commission of 1 million - too bad: for MOM, the 1,000 is what is taken into consideration ..

Cheers and have a nice day
RP

So with a bracket of S$4000-5000 and with the "NO DEGREE" most likely I wont be getting an E-Pass nor S-Pass, not unless my employer will raise it to S$7000. For the "++" it entails 7000 UP, not commission =D

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 2:35 pm

kokokrunch wrote: RP

So with a bracket of S$4000-5000 and with the "NO DEGREE" most likely I wont be getting an E-Pass nor S-Pass, not unless my employer will raise it to S$7000. For the "++" it entails 7000 UP, not commission =D
Don't give up ..

Well, you can do a short course back home, that quantifies your experience, and with a decent salary scale - you can get a pass - and while SMS marks is at 7000 - I would say 5000 is not much off the mark though - as long as it is an E Pass Application - I believe your employer went with a lower pay, about below or around 2,500 or so, hence the rejection .. I am not sure, but that's my 2 cents opinion ..

As for S Pass, with that kind of salary, if an employers asks for S Pass, MOM will wonder what is wrong with the employer - for a start ..

Cheers

kokokrunch

Post by kokokrunch » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 2:40 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Don't give up ..

Well, you can do a short course back home, that quantifies your experience, and with a decent salary scale - you can get a pass - and while SMS marks is at 7000 - I would say 5000 is not much off the mark though - as long as it is an E Pass Application - I believe your employer went with a lower pay, about below or around 2,500 or so, hence the rejection .. I am not sure, but that's my 2 cents opinion ..

As for S Pass, with that kind of salary, if an employers asks for S Pass, MOM will wonder what is wrong with the employer - for a start ..

Cheers
Thanks for the spirit =D I'm on the 3000-5000 mark. Let's just see how MoM will treat the appeal.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 3:24 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Don't give up ..

Cheers
Under the current EP market, I hope you haven't pumped 'em up for a letdown. While we don't know if the employer had marked the "consider an S pass" tick box, I've never heard of a Q ~ P2 pass being granted unless the applicant has at least the degree. For that matter, we've been seeing distance learning/joint degrees getting bounced recently. (Most recently a Sunway (M'sia)/British uni) As far as a P1 pass is concerned, the basic salary is at least $7K. We had one on here recently that was bounced at 6.5K.

Let's just hope the employer appeals and goes down to MOM loaded for bear and gets lucky. kokokrunch, if you do get lucky, let us know about it here.

In fact, I've had a couple renewals that went south on me for qualifications and the have been with me for over a year (S pass degree holders). These were because the degrees were not technical degrees and they were working as technicians here. So even having a full degree isn't a guarantee either any more.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 14 Jan 2011 3:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Under the current EP market, I hope you haven't pumped 'em up for a letdown. While we don't know if the employer had marked the "consider an S pass" tick box, I've never heard of a Q ~ P2 pass being granted unless the applicant has at least the degree. For that matter, we've been seeing distance learning/joint degrees getting bounced recently. (Most recently a Sunway (M'sia)/British uni) As far as a P1 pass is concerned, the basic salary is at least $7K. We had one on here recently that was bounced at 6.5K.
Well, when I came to Singapore, I was just about waiting for my PG Diploma results, and I had just a Diploma, and that was the days of plain-vanilla EP :) No S, Q or P .. And subsequently, when I was shifting jobs, I had obtained some papers locally, for some more diploma course .. I am not claiming proudly, but until now - I am minus a Degree - then again, the country of origin does play a part - I PRESUME :) Plus, my diploma is a British Diploma ..
Let's just hope the employer appeals and goes down to MOM loaded for bear and gets lucky. kokokrunch, if you do get lucky, let us know about it here.

In fact, I've had a couple renewals that went south on me for qualifications and the have been with me for over a year (S pass degree holders). These were because the degrees were not technical degrees and they were working as technicians here. So even having a full degree isn't a guarantee either any more.
Yes, as i said for somebody - the problems could also be at the employers side .. not just the employees end ..