Singapore Expats

Growing Up Gifted @ United Square--People's Experiences?

Discuss the many options of preschools and which suits your children.
expatbostonians

Growing Up Gifted @ United Square--People's Experiences?

Post by expatbostonians » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 7:08 pm

I'm considering sending my daughter to Growing Up Gifted @ United Square for their 2 hours, 2x a week program.

I'm curious to hear what other parents think about them--the good, the bad and the ugly. I liked their emphasis on phonics and the Mandarin instruction. the 2 days x 2 hours seems like an age-appropriate introduction to school, and with the Mandarin, it does offer things to her that I can't give her (my second language is French, and over the years I've lost quite a bit of fluency).

If you don't like them, what's your recommendation? Please no Montessori/Waldorf options...I don't subscribe to their philosophy of education.

mumfromOz

Post by mumfromOz » Tue, 01 Mar 2011 10:00 pm

Hi there,

Ecerything about GUG is just average. I had my youngest there for a while but too many teacher changes and same old-same old activities left my daughter bored and unstimulated. The management we ere nice, everyone was nice, it was just a bit ho-hum.

You can try a few places....

Liitle village, wee care....I have mine at the thinking box which is a good fit for me and what I want for my kids. None of these places are Montessori or waldorf or reggio Emilia.

Anyway, hope this helps!

aiessence

Post by aiessence » Sun, 17 Apr 2011 6:34 pm

Hi, my younger child started GUG 1.5 years ago as a toddler and loves the program. We plan to continue and enroll him in GUG's kindergarten. We've checked around and still find GUG's curriculum and activities unbeatable, especially their kindergarten side which my elder child had graduated from their K2 program a year ago. There's a lot of creativity and fun. She's learned to read and write well and amazes us with her general knoweldge which we credit the school for. Overall we find GUG's standard and quality excellent and have highly recommended to friends and relatives. To each their own, so perhaps it'll help to go for a trial class or talk to the school to see if it suits what you're looking for.

ladydimante

Post by ladydimante » Tue, 04 Oct 2011 11:56 am

They used to be good - until the last few years when they started running as a business instead of a passionate pre-school. I find their curriculum a mish-mash of various things without focus and the teachers only so-so. There are better alternatives out there.

Andrea986

Re: Growing Up Gifted @ United Square--People's Experiences?

Post by Andrea986 » Fri, 26 Feb 2021 7:58 am

Was researching for schools for my child when I came across a review on an online expat forum called, forum.singaporeexpats.com by a parent named ‘aiessence’. That ‘parent’ raved about how good the school Growing Up Gifted (GUG) is, and how there is “a lot of creativity and fun”, and the “activities are unbeatable”, it “helped” her child a lot and her “general knowledge amazes” her. This “parent” finds the “GUG standard and quality excellent”, and “highly recommends” the school; telling people “to go for a trial class”.

I did just that, but the experience was very negative. The program was mediocre, and staff were impatient with the young children.

{Sanitized by moderator}

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Growing Up Gifted @ United Square--People's Experiences?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Feb 2021 5:34 pm

Any particular reason why you have dredged up a 10 year old post to trash the poster, who was shot down by the next poster the same day (which you also screenshotted in your haste). Did you and her have a falling out? I have deleted the screenshot as doxing isn't allowed here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers