Singapore Expats

S Pass or Employment Pass with spent conviction in UK

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 10 Aug 2012 6:15 pm

Blackbirdie wrote:
Hi, I don't know will u help me by giving me advice.
I would like to ask is, about 9years back, I was put in prison due to possession of drugs for 6months+, back then I was 20 only. Would like to know, am I considered with a criminal record? Am I allow to check on my own background with the police?
I'm planning to move on to aussie or UK, am thinking will I have any issues in applying a visa? Will the police clearance certificate shows what type of crimes that we have committed? Or they will just show, 'have criminal record'?
Hope you can advise. cos so far I've checked spf webby, its like we cannot anyhow to ask for Police clearance certificate.
Who are you looking for ?The eagle beagle lawyer or ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 10 Aug 2012 6:57 pm

Blackbirdie wrote: Hi, I don't know will u help me by giving me advice.
I would like to ask is, about 9years back, I was put in prison due to possession of drugs for 6months+, back then I was 20 only. Would like to know, am I considered with a criminal record? Am I allow to check on my own background with the police?
I'm planning to move on to aussie or UK, am thinking will I have any issues in applying a visa? Will the police clearance certificate shows what type of crimes that we have committed? Or they will just show, 'have criminal record'?
Hope you can advise. cos so far I've checked spf webby, its like we cannot anyhow to ask for Police clearance certificate.
You're Singaporean [?] and are looking to move to the UK or Australia.

You don't say where your conviction was, so it's hard to know how open your records are, SG I imagine.

There is a concept in the UK of a 'spent conviction'. It means minor stuff is erased from your record X years after it occurred. I think the idea is that you've faced justice, taken the punishment, and past mistakes should not be a burden to someone for the rest of their lives.

So I think it reasonable to expect say the UK authorities to consider foreign applicants' records through a similar prism. Just say something like possession of weed from X years ago, with justice done, I can't see they're going to be too bothered about that kind of thing (since weed is virtually decriminalised in the UK).

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Post by bloodhound123 » Fri, 26 Jul 2013 12:23 am

Actually a 'spent conviction' in SG does not mean that the record has been expunged, but just that it has been marked as 'spent' and hence the police would not disclose this to anyone (except for a few authorized). However they clearly say that if the question is "Have you ever been convicted of a crime....?" then the guy has to answer YES.
Apprently the police and the home team is trying to persuade employers to rephrase the question to "Do you have any criminal records?" so that the gu can lawfully answer NO.

noonoomahoo

Post by noonoomahoo » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 3:37 am

I realize this is late and will be of no use to you (hopefully you're in Singapore now and enjoying life) but for other people that find this on a search engine and have the same question:

The Singapore government cannot access British citizens criminal records. If this information is required during an Employment Pass vetting or a company vetting then you would be asked to provide a CRB check yourself or authorize them to do so.

To answer your question, a normal CRB check (now called DBS) would not show spent convictions.

An enhanced CRB / DBS check would. Enhanced CRB checks are normally required for working with children, working in healthcare and for adoption, for obvious reasons. I am not aware if the enhanced report is required for banking however.

Unfortunately trolls have nothing better to do than worry people unnecessarily without giving actual answers to actual questions. If you don't know, don't answer, it is an option!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 5:17 pm

noonoomahoo wrote:I realize this is late and will be of no use to you (hopefully you're in Singapore now and enjoying life) but for other people that find this on a search engine and have the same question:

The Singapore government cannot access British citizens criminal records. If this information is required during an Employment Pass vetting or a company vetting then you would be asked to provide a CRB check yourself or authorize them to do so.

To answer your question, a normal CRB check (now called DBS) would not show spent convictions.

An enhanced CRB / DBS check would. Enhanced CRB checks are normally required for working with children, working in healthcare and for adoption, for obvious reasons. I am not aware if the enhanced report is required for banking however.

Unfortunately trolls have nothing better to do than worry people unnecessarily without giving actual answers to actual questions. If you don't know, don't answer, it is an option!
Well that's an interesting first post on this board. On the one hand, providing some potentially useful information (do you have a source for that btw?), but then the troll comment. You might want to be a little more considerate, bearing in mind the contributions of some of the long-standing posters above. In particular, one of them who has a lot of knowledge and experience in immigration matters and who has generously given of his time to help out many people over the years.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 5:27 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
noonoomahoo wrote:Unfortunately trolls have nothing better to do than worry people unnecessarily without giving actual answers to actual questions. If you don't know, don't answer, it is an option!
Well that's an interesting first post on this board. On the one hand, providing some potentially useful information (do you have a source for that btw?), but then the troll comment. You might want to be a little more considerate, bearing in mind the contributions of some of the long-standing posters above. In particular, one of them who has a lot of knowledge and experience in immigration matters and who has generously given of his time to help out many people over the years.
Frankly, after reading his post earlier, before you replied, I though he was referring to himself. You asked the same question I asked myself when I read it. Additionally I am also curious about his source, if any. He obviously isn't well versed in the way of this forum.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 Feb 2014 5:54 pm

Isn't he our old friend? Do you still remember.. "you do not mess with.." what was his name? Ozi?

forzabianconeri1897

Post by forzabianconeri1897 » Wed, 02 Jul 2014 5:29 pm

Hi guys!

I had a similar problem and this forum helped me to be honest and still receive a visa, so I want to tell my story and help future generations.

I am a Polish citizen and in December 2013 I was convicted for riding a bicycle under influence of alcohol in October 2013. The punishment was a 700 PLN fine (approximately 290 SGD, 175 EUR) and a two-year ban on riding bicycles. The ban is still active, yet still I confessed everything during my visa application.

I was applying for student pass as I am going to spend one semester at National University of Singapore as an exchange student.

The result of my application was positive and it took ICA only 2 days to make the decision.

My advice - confess everything (even if according to Polish law my incident is treated as a misdemeanour - a lesser offense and I do not have any criminal record as a resut of it) and describe accurately your situation. I think that there could be even some kind of appreciation of honesty at ICA.

Thank you for the advice and do not do stupid things in your life that keep you nervous when applying for visa! :)

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Wed, 02 Jul 2014 5:53 pm

Very interesting post. Shame we could not have a poll. Who says yes/no.

Noting the facts as represented, I would answer No.

//
Ah forms/questions....... once again the person/organisation asking the question does not realise the implications of the question or often the absurdity.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 4:16 am

[quote="futcoinsboy"]As you do not want to get on the wrong side of the SG authorities if you ever wish to visit or stay in the country.

P!ss off, scumbag spammer.
Be careful what you wish for

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 7:24 am

Mi Amigo wrote:
futcoinsboy wrote:As you do not want to get on the wrong side of the SG authorities if you ever wish to visit or stay in the country.

P!ss off, scumbag spammer.
Whacked!