Singapore Expats Forum

Chinese Visa

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Ratpick_2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun, 12 Dec 2010

Chinese Visa

Postby Ratpick_2000 » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:42 am

Do we EP holders have any preferential agreement with the Chinese authorities when it comes to getting a visa for China?

I know that Singapore citizens have almost unfettered access to China, so just wondering..

Cheers

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:58 am

All visas for expatriates will be based only on the agreements between your country of origin and china. While you have an EP, visa are granted solely on nationality.

Ratpick_2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun, 12 Dec 2010

Postby Ratpick_2000 » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 2:11 pm

Oh well, worth a try :)

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Chinese Visa

Postby ksl » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 5:33 pm

Ratpick_2000 wrote:Do we EP holders have any preferential agreement with the Chinese authorities when it comes to getting a visa for China?

I know that Singapore citizens have almost unfettered access to China, so just wondering..

Cheers
I know that Singapore citizens have almost unfettered access to China, so just wondering..

I'm very curious what makes you think that! I have lived in China and have a few very close friends in China, though I cannot for the life of me figure out what you are trying to say when you refer to preferential treatment. :???: Unless you are referring to areas where Westerners are not allowed!

It's not that Singaporeans get preferential treatment, it's more like that Caucasian races are banned due too the illegal activities that go on in China, in relation to Human Rights and Copying. That is to say some of the Crime museums and bookshops maybe banned to Caucasians as the crime museum normally display the executed bodies and all the Western English books are not on display if they are Copies in the bookshops. If you don't look Chinese you don't get in. Though I have myself had a tour of these areas with someone from inside the cadre hierarchy.

Ratpick_2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun, 12 Dec 2010

Postby Ratpick_2000 » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 5:53 pm

I'm not syaing anything complicated :???:

Preferential agreement exists for Singapore residents - i.e. they can arrive in China without a visa or a visit to the local embassy in advance.

I was wondering whether an EP holder could do the same.

Hope this is clearer! :?

User avatar
ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu, 13 Apr 2006
Location: East Coast

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:39 pm

Ratpick_2000 wrote:I'm not syaing anything complicated :???:

Preferential agreement exists for Singapore residents - i.e. they can arrive in China without a visa or a visit to the local embassy in advance.

I was wondering whether an EP holder could do the same.

Hope this is clearer! :?


Are you talking about residents or citizens? I'm a PR and went through exactly same visa procedure I would have done in back home, so living in Singapore made absolutely no difference (well I can do it here in Singapore).

Anyway on a practical note, what else do you need then a travel agent that does the queueing for you? I highly recommend paying that ~30S$ for the trouble instead of wasting hours and a few trips to the consulate/embassy/visacenter.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 3:41 pm

ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Ratpick_2000 wrote:I'm not syaing anything complicated :???:

Preferential agreement exists for Singapore residents - i.e. they can arrive in China without a visa or a visit to the local embassy in advance.

I was wondering whether an EP holder could do the same.

Hope this is clearer! :?


Are you talking about residents or citizens? I'm a PR and went through exactly same visa procedure I would have done in back home, so living in Singapore made absolutely no difference (well I can do it here in Singapore).

Anyway on a practical note, what else do you need then a travel agent that does the queueing for you? I highly recommend paying that ~30S$ for the trouble instead of wasting hours and a few trips to the consulate/embassy/visacenter.


Chinese visa applications have been outsourced to company near raffles place, it took me 15 mins to submit my application, and another 15 mins to collect my passport 3 days later, so personally I wouldn't waste the $30 unless you're incapable of getting to the location.

Regarding the other thing, I think the OP meant to say Singaporean citizens rather than residents, as indeed Singaporeans do not need a visa to visit China

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Jan 2011 5:13 pm

So much rattling on for no reason. :???:

I gave the only answer there is in the first reply. :-|

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:50 pm

Does the visa-on-arrival at major Chinese airports still exist?
I used it a couple of years ago, it was a breeze and costed less than the pre-applied one. Only problem: The airlines didn't know about it and needed to be convinced to let me board the plane without visa.
(Edit: I am EU citizen.)

technocracy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue, 14 Dec 2010

Postby technocracy » Sat, 08 Jan 2011 6:52 pm

JayCee wrote:
ProvenPracticalFlexible wrote:
Ratpick_2000 wrote:I'm not syaing anything complicated :???:

Preferential agreement exists for Singapore residents - i.e. they can arrive in China without a visa or a visit to the local embassy in advance.

I was wondering whether an EP holder could do the same.

Hope this is clearer! :?


Are you talking about residents or citizens? I'm a PR and went through exactly same visa procedure I would have done in back home, so living in Singapore made absolutely no difference (well I can do it here in Singapore).

Anyway on a practical note, what else do you need then a travel agent that does the queueing for you? I highly recommend paying that ~30S$ for the trouble instead of wasting hours and a few trips to the consulate/embassy/visacenter.


Chinese visa applications have been outsourced to company near raffles place, it took me 15 mins to submit my application, and another 15 mins to collect my passport 3 days later, so personally I wouldn't waste the $30 unless you're incapable of getting to the location.

Regarding the other thing, I think the OP meant to say Singaporean citizens rather than residents, as indeed Singaporeans do not need a visa to visit China


Yep that's the one - Singaporeans do not need a visa to visit China.

Since my job involves spending quite a bit of time there I've been through the grill in getting the work visa - currently I hold a 6 month multiple entry Business visa which will become a 12 month one when it expires next month.

To get the 6 months visa for a UK passport holder (as I am) you have to enter China on 3 separate business visas prior. For each of the business visas you will also need the correct local government invitation letter from where your Chinese office is located. An invitation letter from your own company Chinese office doesn't get you a business visa.

Certain countries citizens will never get a multiple entry visa - one Bangladeshi guy in the office has to get single entry visa for every trip and has had multiple entry visa applications refused.

The Chinese Business visa is kind of like a frequent flyer program!

0 - 3 Single Entry Visas - Standard Member
6 Month Visa - Silver Member
12 Month Visa - Gold Member

;)

Ratpick_2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun, 12 Dec 2010

Postby Ratpick_2000 » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 2:56 pm

I managed to get a double entry visa (valid for 6 months). It was a tourist visa though - no questions about doing business however.

I understand for a multi-entry visa you need a business version which must be accompanied by a government invitation. Not sure how you go about getting one of those..

Thanks for the responses above - much appreciated


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest