Singapore Expats

Finding a helper

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
intime0
Regular
Regular

Finding a helper

Post by intime0 » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 3:30 pm

I called and visited with a maid agency and really liked the owner. However, it's been 2 weeks now and nothing. Should I start looking for another agency? and what do i say when they finally do call me?

We've sent them all the info they need to get us going.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 3:54 pm

Walk away if this is what they are like when they are trying to make a sale can you imagine what they will be like should a problem crop up.

When/if they call back say you went to another agent because of the crap service.. Simple.

yael_rh

Post by yael_rh » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 8:09 pm

Don't hold your breath..
The only reason for them being nice is they want your money...
We just found out ourselves.

intime0
Regular
Regular

Post by intime0 » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 9:13 am

any recommendations for a good service?

i wouldnt mind going it alone but i'm unsure of all the steps and frankly, dont have the time (or car or energy) to make it around to various places to file things.

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 10:00 am

We use 121 or BCS employment services, no problem just tell them who you want and a few weeks later one arrives.

seatosin

Post by seatosin » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 9:00 am

I ended up using 121 but before we found our helper through them, I literally had to go from one agency to another and do half of the legwork myself. As in, I went through the biodata stacks and selected the girls myself and they scheduled the interviews.

All the agencies (except for maybe 121) were horrible at returning my emails and phone calls.

Good luck!

intime0
Regular
Regular

Post by intime0 » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 12:29 pm

That's what I'm finding. I had interviews on sunday and selected a girl. (Oddly, our first choice turned us down.)

Now I've asked in about 5 different emails what we need to do now and no one will tell me. they reply, but dont tell me anything.

anyone know what the next step is?

We've submitted all documents and taken the course.

seatosin

Post by seatosin » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 1:13 pm

Which agency are you with? In our situation, once the helper we selected accepted our offer, she got the transfer letter signed by her current employer and sent that back to 121. (Not sure if you're helper is transferring from another employer?)

Then, we went to 121's office and filled out all the necessary paperwork, signed contracts, wrote them a check, etc. This is in addition to procuring the following: 1) certificate of the online completion of the FDW Employers' Orientation Programme 2) all family members' passports 3) all family members' identification cards 4) letter from my husband's company stating his title and monthly salary.

A few days later, we were notified by 121 that MoM approved the application, and now we are waiting for the work permit which should be here a few days after she officially starts with us.

Which documents did you submit? I'd call the agency and get the details. Email isn't as direct I find.

intime0
Regular
Regular

Post by intime0 » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 7:43 am

Maids R Us

I've submitted all the paperwork except a completion certificate. know how to get that?

I talked to my lady yesterday and she said she had until the 15th with her employer. Which is odd because at the interview she told me she only had a week to live there.

So basically we are waiting for MOM to approve our app and then give her a work permit? she is a transfer maid.

seatosin

Post by seatosin » Fri, 07 Jan 2011 10:35 am

When you completed the online FDW course for employers, you should've been able to print out the certificate of completion immediately after. This would've included your name, your NRIC number, the date you completed the course.

There should be a way to get this though through Singapore Polytechnic/PACE, the online course provider. Funny the agency didn't ask for this along with the other paperwork...I'm no expert (still new to the whole maid-hiring process myself), but I think MoM needs this proof of completion before they can process and approve your application for a FDW.

Your helper's work permit may expire on the 15th but her employer may release her earlier than that.

Again, I'd call the agency to find out what's going on...