Singapore Expats Forum

struggles to get pr for husband

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sgwife

Postby sgwife » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:20 pm

hey JR8,
Thanks for ur post.

well.... sms n ksl...
sigh.....i really wonder what im left to do... i feel so helpless...my hubby uis losing his morale day by day. i wish companies are lil more lenient. at thismoments, even if no pr is ok.. atleast a decent job... for his confidence sake n to start a family.

at times i feel like migrating.. and i get very angry n dunt feel like giving birth here at all. under the mentality of why shud i give birth here n contribute here when im not suported by my own nation.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:25 pm

I think you could make some more headway on the employment front.

You say you have called companies but that they will only hire PR's. Ok, well then you are calling the wrong kind of companies I think, perhaps ones who have little or no track record in hiring Foreign Talent on Employment Passes and don't want the hassle, or to cross that cultural hurdle? Are you approaching Multi-National Companies (i.e. large foreign ones), or just local SGn ones?

Given his experience/education, I think you should be using a employment agent (a good one, not some back-street rip-you-off bucket shop). A good agent would (not charge you and) know how to pitch his experience/resume, versus his salary expectations, such that he is presented as an attractive proposition.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:29 pm

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:It would seem that ROM has revamped their website and no longer contains the information about getting married will not guarantee PR, but now that flog it all off on both MOM and ICA with links to the main urls only. It used to be in the marriage application as an addendum which one had to sign in acknowledgment before a marriage license would be granted.

This is exactly what I experienced with our ROM application in July 09. At the time I wondered what on earth it was for as I had no interest in being a PR. Now it makes more sense.

I don't know whether it is still required, but I can see no reason why they would have dropped the requirement.
I don't believe its dropped, just less transparent, immigration have the right to refuse anyone, without reason and the only way to justice and transparency would be legal action against them in other Countries with good human rights records it may be accepted and over turned, but not likely in Singapore.

You can imagine the profiling here is for talent recruitment and if the family background checks show no signs of academic achievement, then Singapore would be drowning itself in local anti social behaviour and very low income achievers. So I would bet all the parameters for PR recruitment are in place with a few exceptions granted on merit! :wink:

sgwife

Postby sgwife » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:31 pm

@JR8

well i have been trying so many of the mnc n companies n also the job portals all in singapore. but nothing seems to help. plus they also state mandarin prefered. sigh...

i dont know which agent to trust now. n my hubby get paranoid of these agents after being cheated twice.

any reccomendations? we really need help?

anyone knows a copany tt is willing to hire IT professionals who are not having any work passes?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:35 pm

I worked offshore on a two & one rotation (two months offshore and one month on time off. Every time I entered Singapore I was given a 30 days SVP and I usually left one or 2 days before it expired. So, while I was technically one in Singapore around 3-4 months a years, other were doing it for 6 months (they worked even time). At no time did I ever have an LTVP or an extension. I did, on occasion, due to rig moves or some such, have to make "visa runs" across the causeway. there were literally thousands of us here doing this back in the '80's & '90's. Of course, today, you cannot get a local drivers license unless you have some sort of residency here, but back then they just swapped my US license for a local license (no tests of any kind) except they wouldn't give me the Prime Mover endorsement as they said I needed a work permit in order to drive one here and I was only on a tourist visa - had I been on a work pass they would have given me that as well. So today I only have a class C & D license. Lot of stuff has changed...... I actually had one wife, two kids & three cars on bog standard 30 tourist visas.

singaporeflyer wrote:
sgwife wrote:hey SMS,

yes i am civil servant.... dunnow if i can ask for pay increment just like that....im sure they will ask me for reasons...

wow.. 11 years u were on tourist visa?? ur wife a singaoprean? what did u do for 11 years til u got ur pr? own family business? how did u survide on just wife's income for family n house???? help me!pls!

i feel so sad that my hubby , a man full of potential n work experience yet this country aint recognizing it. such an obstacle!!!

He might have been on an EP working in SG. Cant be on a SVP for 11 years

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:43 pm

sgwife wrote:anyone knows a copany tt is willing to hire IT professionals who are not having any work passes?

Most of the multinational banks or financial consultancies - JP Morgan, Credit suisse, Barclays etc... have you tried any of them? What exactly is his experience in IT and what skills does he have (programming, project management etc...)?

Also, what job portals are you looking at because the ones I look at quite often don't state that you need to be a PR unless they're local companies, MNCs are often very open the getting EPs because for some of them the majority of their employees will be foreign

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:49 pm

sgwife wrote:@JR8

well i have been trying so many of the mnc n companies n also the job portals all in singapore. but nothing seems to help. plus they also state mandarin prefered. sigh...

i dont know which agent to trust now. n my hubby get paranoid of these agents after being cheated twice.

any reccomendations? we really need help?

anyone knows a copany tt is willing to hire IT professionals who are not having any work passes?
Check your private message box.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 6:31 pm

JayCee wrote:
sgwife wrote:anyone knows a copany tt is willing to hire IT professionals who are not having any work passes?

Most of the multinational banks or financial consultancies - JP Morgan, Credit suisse, Barclays etc... have you tried any of them? What exactly is his experience in IT and what skills does he have (programming, project management etc...)?

Also, what job portals are you looking at because the ones I look at quite often don't state that you need to be a PR unless they're local companies, MNCs are often very open the getting EPs because for some of them the majority of their employees will be foreign

Precisely! If they say only 'Mandarin speakers required', obviously they are the wrong kind of match. A bit like trying to apply for PR when your sponsor earns less than $2.5k ](*,)

Try 'western' MNC's, or Pakistani ones. For agents I was thinking about ones like... http://www.michaelpage.com.sg/ (just as a random example)

prince_23

Postby prince_23 » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:28 am

Hello SGwife, I Came to singapore in 2007 married to singaporian for almost four years got two kids and recently bought a house, still Pr is pending im also from pakistan.

prince_23

Postby prince_23 » Thu, 06 Jan 2011 10:47 am

when we married my wife also was a civil servant we really struggled because when applied pr got rejected and appeal rejected then we just decided to move on in life i got a trough some relative but not my feild work but got no choice and i had to go for it and im still doing same job by this we have two daughters and recently got a house but still they say that wife salary is low and duration of stay is not long.

We gone through alot.just because of This SGPR.

Planning to Move SOmewhereesle also have plans to sell house also..

probably your hubby can talk to me...........

macvato

Postby macvato » Sat, 04 Jun 2011 1:11 am

First time poster - please forgive a newbie's errors :)

This thread is scaring me quite a bit, I must admit. I am a female Singaporean citizen, currently investigating prospects of moving back to Singapore for work purposes. Been married to US citizen for 9 years and we have a son.

I had thought that getting both of them a PR would be relatively easy. I mean the bureaucracy part might take time, but don't they always? Now I am worried they might be stranded there with who knows what kind of pass (LTVP? DP? Student's pass for the kid?). While I have a BA and 2 master degrees, my husband never completed college...

I am seriously going have to re-think going back :cry:

I miss my home....

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 04 Jun 2011 6:56 am

Yes, your husband is going to have a rough time. You might want to look at the EntrePass scheme or PEP if your husband is currently earning more that SDG 8K/month.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 1:57 am

What happened to SGwife sort of disappeared ?

IronMac
Regular
Regular

Postby IronMac » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 8:12 am

Ok, my info is only good as of June - 2011. Any other info more than a few months in the past or future is irrelevant.

Good news:

1. You're a Singaporean citizen. Hope you are Chinese.
2. Well educated.
3. You have a son.

Bad news:

1. Your husband is unemployed.
2. Your husband has no degrees.

What Will Help:

1. That you have a job lined up.
2. That your husband has a job lined up.
3. That your husband is Chinese.
4. You have lots of family in SG.
5. Your husband's parents are dead.

I think that covers all the bases. Good luck.

macvato wrote:First time poster - please forgive a newbie's errors :)

This thread is scaring me quite a bit, I must admit. I am a female Singaporean citizen, currently investigating prospects of moving back to Singapore for work purposes. Been married to US citizen for 9 years and we have a son.

I had thought that getting both of them a PR would be relatively easy. I mean the bureaucracy part might take time, but don't they always? Now I am worried they might be stranded there with who knows what kind of pass (LTVP? DP? Student's pass for the kid?). While I have a BA and 2 master degrees, my husband never completed college...

I am seriously going have to re-think going back :cry:

I miss my home....

lucyng

Postby lucyng » Sun, 05 Jun 2011 8:16 am

maybe you can sent me a mail lucyng789@yahoo.com.sg, I see how I can help U