Singapore Expats Forum

struggles to get pr for husband

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
sgwife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 30 Dec 2010
Location: singapore

struggles to get pr for husband

Postby sgwife » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 11:27 am

im a singaporean, married to a foreigner. for the past 2 years, i have been applying pr for my hubby.searching jobs. getting pushed from ica to m.o.m to companies.

there are certain things im really not sure how things are being done.

im a civil servant, married to a foreigner who has good academic and professional background. He is an IT professional, worked with many reputational companies all over the world.

i dont understand, why is it so diffucult for me to progress here, in my own homeland, starting my new life.

3 times my PR application is rejected, appeals thru MPs and agent/istana gone wasted, money wasted.

i was not given any reasons as to why my application is rejected. until my constant persuation to ICA , which takes weeks to reply me. i was told that i could apply again when my income is stabilized.

i find that this reason is not well thought. first thing, for the past 2 yrs, my salary has been increasing. and i have been able to support my husband and myself all along. so what the actual hindrance then?

jobs and companies insist he need to have a PR. so we go to ICA. ICA says he needs to find a job n check with m.o.m. M.om. points to job portal websites, which I HAVE BEEN TRYING SINCE OCT 2008.

i wish to start my own family, but my husband isnt employed neither are we eligible to buy our own house. my life is at a stake. i feel so deprived in my own country.

each time i go to ICA i see many PRC holding on to PR cards. in which way is my husband less eligible than them, who are less educated, hardly could speak any proper english or communicate n etc. no offence but i cant help not pointing this out.

it hurts, when i am helpless to do anything for my husband n myself in my own country. my hubby came here to settle with me due to my family conditions, but i didnt expect my country to be an obstacle to our living's progress.

sometimes i wonder if singaporeans migrate due to such reasons as mine.. whereby they cant secure a proper living with their foreigner spouse.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1532
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Re: struggles to get pr for husband

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:13 pm

sgwife wrote:im a singaporean, married to a foreigner. for the past 2 years, i have been applying pr for my hubby.searching jobs. getting pushed from ica to m.o.m to companies.

there are certain things im really not sure how things are being done.

im a civil servant, married to a foreigner who has good academic and professional background. He is an IT professional, worked with many reputational companies all over the world.

i dont understand, why is it so diffucult for me to progress here, in my own homeland, starting my new life.

3 times my PR application is rejected, appeals thru MPs and agent/istana gone wasted, money wasted.

i was not given any reasons as to why my application is rejected. until my constant persuation to ICA , which takes weeks to reply me. i was told that i could apply again when my income is stabilized.

i find that this reason is not well thought. first thing, for the past 2 yrs, my salary has been increasing. and i have been able to support my husband and myself all along. so what the actual hindrance then?

jobs and companies insist he need to have a PR. so we go to ICA. ICA says he needs to find a job n check with m.o.m. M.om. points to job portal websites, which I HAVE BEEN TRYING SINCE OCT 2008.

i wish to start my own family, but my husband isnt employed neither are we eligible to buy our own house. my life is at a stake. i feel so deprived in my own country.

each time i go to ICA i see many PRC holding on to PR cards. in which way is my husband less eligible than them, who are less educated, hardly could speak any proper english or communicate n etc. no offence but i cant help not pointing this out.

it hurts, when i am helpless to do anything for my husband n myself in my own country. my hubby came here to settle with me due to my family conditions, but i didnt expect my country to be an obstacle to our living's progress.

sometimes i wonder if singaporeans migrate due to such reasons as mine.. whereby they cant secure a proper living with their foreigner spouse.


Just my 2 cents. No offence intended. If he is qualified and an IT professional he should be able to find a job here. How long has he worked in the IT industry earlier?

Once he gets a job and stays on the same for a while and then when you sponsor the PR for him it should be easy for him to get it through the spouse sponsorship way.

User avatar
sgwife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 30 Dec 2010
Location: singapore

Postby sgwife » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:32 pm

@ singaporeflyer,
thank you for your response to my post. :)

we have been trying for a job since then, 2008. during recession too.

he goes for interviews but they reject as they prefer people with passes or pr.

he has 14 yrs wrk experience in IT. and yet its so difficult. :(

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1532
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:47 pm

sgwife wrote:@ singaporeflyer,
thank you for your response to my post. :)

we have been trying for a job since then, 2008. during recession too.

he goes for interviews but they reject as they prefer people with passes or pr.

he has 14 yrs wrk experience in IT. and yet its so difficult. :(


Hi,
To be frank, there are people who find job without an earlier pass or without an PR.

The reason might be he is very much experienced and there are no suitable roles to fit him in the job.

User avatar
sgwife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 30 Dec 2010
Location: singapore

Postby sgwife » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 12:54 pm

hey,

yeah iv heard ppl getting jobs easily despite being a foreigner. perhaps my hubby's qualification/job experience quite high. but he has been very accepting even if salary not high as supposed to be.

we have tried all job portals, even went to job agent and got cheated. i even make calls to companies, but they insist they only hire PRs n most portals advertise foreigners not welcomed.

2 yrs has been so difficult to secure a job n proper family living. emotional distress. its harder when a man is not employed. if only sth can be done...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35174
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 1:05 pm

In order to get PR for your Husband you will need to be able to substantiate a monthly income of a minimum of $2500/month before you will be considered financially capable of supporting the family (by ICA standards).

As far as the job situation is concerned, as mentioned, he could be too experienced and therefore prices himself out of the picture or many could want him, but his asking price is too low and they know that if they hire him, he'll just jump ship at the first better opportunity. (Kinda like damned if you do and damned if you don't). You also did not mention his nationality nor ethnicity as currently, both could play a part as well. You have also not mentioned whether or not you have children nor how long you have been married (I gather at least 2 years based on you applying for PR around 2 years ago.

Until either you husband finds a job and an EP in his own right or your income exceeds 2.5K/mo you will not get PR for him. Also, if you married him here in Singapore, he had to sign a statement to the effect that he acknowledges that by getting married here, it will not be a guarantee of gaining PR in the future. Yeah, you country is rough on foreigners (actually it's not the gahmen, but your fellow citizens raising a big stink that is causing the problems).

sms

User avatar
sgwife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 30 Dec 2010
Location: singapore

Postby sgwife » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 2:56 pm

hie SMS,
Thank you for your post :)

monthly income of a minimum of $2500/month(by ICA standards)?
sigh.. im abt 200+ bucks away..sheesh!!

nationality / ethnicity as said by my agent is not a criteria.. ok now im confused. by the way he is from pakistan and his education was done in UK.

children??- well, its kinda scary to have children in a country which holds no future for my husband :( ... how would it be motivating for me to contribute to this nation even thou im a singaporean myself, working for the gahmen sumore! double sad! cant have house, already living with parents. if i were to have child even more messier. i need a start. which is pr. which will allow my hubby to have a job, eligible to buy a flat and many more to be off the mess..

yup, have been married for 2 years

sign a statement to the effect that he acknowledges that by getting married here, it will not be a guarantee of gaining PR in the future??- we didnt come across this.... hmmmm. tell me more abt this!

you country is rough on foreigners (actually it's not the gahmen, but your fellow citizens raising a big stink that is causing the problems) - sigh... cos of some.. few get the bad too.

but whats dissapointing is that i have no benefit of being a singaporean n tt too wrking for the gahmen. when i see other nationalities pr being able to get pr for their foreign spouse n children, it hurts alot. i see many philipines, chinese and caucasion esaily
with pr.. esp at my wrk place ... i see many of them... very often :)

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 4:18 pm

There is a way to get your husband working! Which Country are you from? There is also an age limit for PR application. It's really not the time to be applying for PR. I do know PR's that have had their Spouse PR rejected after more than 6 years and earning more than 7K. It's just bad timing just now, though hang in there until after the elections.

Under $2500 and you have no chance, maybe you can ask your company to increase your income, so you can get your hubby PR :lol: It wouldn't be the first time this is done, I'm sure.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35174
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 4:30 pm

Maybe not that easy as she is a civil servant, not working in the private sector.

It would seem that ROM has revamped their website and no longer contains the information about getting married will not guarantee PR, but now that flog it all off on both MOM and ICA with links to the main urls only. It used to be in the marriage application as an addendum which one had to sign in acknowledgment before a marriage license would be granted.

I know where you are coming from as I had one wife (singaporean), 2 kids (singaporeans/americans) and 3 cars all on a tourist visa (11 years). I was finally given PR after being rejected (1x), appeals rejected (2x) and reapplying again two years later and finally become successful. I guess having the boy made a difference. He's now 21 and will be entering NS in May. It was a gamble, but I had to take it.

User avatar
sgwife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 30 Dec 2010
Location: singapore

Postby sgwife » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 4:37 pm

hello ksl,
Thank you for your post.

There is a way to get your husband working! - oh well tell me that ways pls! ive tried all i can.. til i became disheartened. :(

Which Country are you from? - im from singapore. hubby from pakistan. his education from UK.

There is also an age limit for PR application. - oh.. he is 34 nxt yr.

It's really not the time to be applying for PR. - sigh..when is gd then?

It's just bad timing just now, though hang in there until after the elections.- oh when is this time?

Under $2500 and you have no chance, maybe you can ask your company to increase your income, so you can get your hubby PR It wouldn't be the first time this is done, I'm sure. - so it ok for me to ask increment simply?
and wat u mean by 'it wouldnt be first time this is done' :s

User avatar
sgwife
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 30 Dec 2010
Location: singapore

Postby sgwife » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 4:47 pm

hey SMS,

yes i am civil servant.... dunnow if i can ask for pay increment just like that....im sure they will ask me for reasons...

wow.. 11 years u were on tourist visa?? ur wife a singaoprean? what did u do for 11 years til u got ur pr? own family business? how did u survide on just wife's income for family n house???? help me!pls!

i feel so sad that my hubby , a man full of potential n work experience yet this country aint recognizing it. such an obstacle!!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35174
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:07 pm

Wasn't quite as bad as your situation as I was employed the whole time. I worked in the offshore Oil exploration industry, so I didn't actually work in Singapore. Our company office was here, but I worked in Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Australia & the Philippines. Because I didn't work here, is the reason why they wouldn't give me PR. Finally, I managed to secure my first position in Singapore in a field I wasn't even remotely interested in, but it provided me the Job & the EP so I could apply for PR in my right (My wife didn't earn enough money either). When I applied I used both the PTS and the family ties and still got bounced over the coals 3x before becoming successful.

As a lot of the grief currently is against those from the sub-continent, you may have a problem in the short term getting your husband PR due to the backlash against people coming from that part of the world who tend to take up PR like they are collecting stamps with no intention of actually settling down (I know there are those who are but that's the perception). You need to wait until the elections are over with and things will start to settle down. If you want to reapply you can but just be prepared for more aggravation and disappointment until after the elections are called.

User avatar
singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1532
Joined: Mon, 17 Aug 2009

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:09 pm

sgwife wrote:hey SMS,

yes i am civil servant.... dunnow if i can ask for pay increment just like that....im sure they will ask me for reasons...

wow.. 11 years u were on tourist visa?? ur wife a singaoprean? what did u do for 11 years til u got ur pr? own family business? how did u survide on just wife's income for family n house???? help me!pls!

i feel so sad that my hubby , a man full of potential n work experience yet this country aint recognizing it. such an obstacle!!!


He might have been on an EP working in SG. Cant be on a SVP for 11 years

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:12 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It would seem that ROM has revamped their website and no longer contains the information about getting married will not guarantee PR, but now that flog it all off on both MOM and ICA with links to the main urls only. It used to be in the marriage application as an addendum which one had to sign in acknowledgment before a marriage license would be granted.



This is exactly what I experienced with our ROM application in July 09. At the time I wondered what on earth it was for as I had no interest in being a PR. Now it makes more sense.

I don't know whether it is still required, but I can see no reason why they would have dropped the requirement.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 5:15 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
sgwife wrote:hey SMS,

yes i am civil servant.... dunnow if i can ask for pay increment just like that....im sure they will ask me for reasons...

wow.. 11 years u were on tourist visa?? ur wife a singaoprean? what did u do for 11 years til u got ur pr? own family business? how did u survide on just wife's income for family n house???? help me!pls!

i feel so sad that my hubby , a man full of potential n work experience yet this country aint recognizing it. such an obstacle!!!


He might have been on an EP working in SG. Cant be on a SVP for 11 years
No but you can be on LTVSP for 11 years :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pgpnus and 0 guests