Singapore Expats

Exploring good school for indian kids moving from US

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
arnav

Exploring good school for indian kids moving from US

Post by arnav » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 8:27 am

All,

We are planning to move to Singapore from US. We are currently visting Singapore and currently exploring schools/jobs/apartments.

We are indian with kids born/grown up in the US. so I am trying to find the right fit for them in Singapore. By "right fit" I mean, where they can go to a school which focuses on education/discipline and fosters an open environment for learning. And at the same time be able to have a mix of Indian/local asian kids. Maybe it's not easy to explain what I mean. I visited GIIS and my first impression was it caters to Indian kids moving from India. Plus it made me feel like I would be moving them away from the local kids/environment. Living in the US, they went to public local schools where they mixed with the local kids. And then we have a huge Indian friends and associated with Indian dance schools etc - so we had plenty of Indian friends.

So now if I were to move to Singapore - I would like to provide them the good education and at the same time be able to identify with Indians with similar views. So I guess that makes me wonder if I should be looking into local public schools. So I would like to get some advise about local public school with a good mix of Indian kids and other asian kids.

Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 9:15 am

Aside from GIIS or the other Indian Int'l schools (which I agree, cater mostly to those in a predominately India oriented - planning to return to India - type of situation), local schooling may by your only option. However, depending on the age of the children this may also be a bad move unless your children are/have been high achievers as they may find themselves in a situation where their peers of a similar age may be academically ahead of them. This is especially so if your children are products of the US public school system. Again, it depends on the ages of your children.

The racial mix in the public/government schools here is, for all intents and purposes, a racial mix roughly proportionate to the racial make-up of Singapore in general. This is due to the HDB housing policies (80+% of the population live in HDB flats) which governs how many of which race are allowed in each and every HDB block. (Government sponsored racism)

Therefore, the rough mix is equal to around 84% Chinese, 14% Malay and 7.5% Indian. (This, of course can vary a couple of points in either direction depending on the closeness of the home to the schools, etc., etc.) Some schools are "perceived" to be "good" schools vrs "neighbourhood" schools but all use the exact same government curriculum. In recent years, it not uncommon to see neighbourhood schools producing the top students in a given cohort so don't let the terms mislead you. This is especially so, if your children are susceptible to peer pressure and are starting out with an academic disadvantage in sciences and maths (of which Singapore tends to excel).

You might want to get a few more posts (5 total) so your PM function activates and then send boffenl a PM. She has her daughter enrolled (although she isn't Indian - but Caucasian) and her daughter is excelling at her local school in Clementi. Both of my children went through the local school system as well (they are half & half - Indian/Caucasian) but that's been a while ago as they are now 21 & 26.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:37 pm

If you want to continue with an American curriculum, then I'd look into SAS. There is a huge amount of kids at Singapore American School who are of Indian extraction. My children have many friends from the sub-continent, my son's girlfriend is Indian, my daughter's best friends are Indian, and I have many, many Indian friends. I would say percentage-wise it's about 20% of the overall student population, the third largest 'minority' after Korean and Japanese. Indian parents are very well connected, both on the school board and in volunteer positions. There are even outlets in the cafeterias dedicated to just Indian food. Something to think about ~ Good luck with your search.

arnav

Thanks

Post by arnav » Tue, 10 Apr 2012 9:43 am

Hi,

Thanks for the response. It's great information.

We are moving there in July and keeping local public school options open. But would like to see them in school by August. so looking at :
OFS
Chatsworth
and now read about "nexus".

Never heard if "Nexus" before, but from the website, looks interesting.

will have to decide soon.

Ibrahim_y

Re: Exploring good school for indian kids moving from US

Post by Ibrahim_y » Tue, 12 Sep 2017 3:54 pm

Hi,
My Daughter is studying in Grade 3 in india, but will be shifting to singapore shortly. I would highly appreciate if anyone can suggest a good school here for indian kids and with a budget less than 500$ per month fees.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 12 Sep 2017 4:49 pm

Ibrahim_y wrote:Hi,
My Daughter is studying in Grade 3 in india, but will be shifting to singapore shortly. I would highly appreciate if anyone can suggest a good school here for indian kids and with a budget less than 500$ per month fees.
You gotta be kidding, right? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 12 Sep 2017 6:19 pm

Good Indian school or Good local school?

Budget 1,500 and above

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 7:35 am

I had to delete my reply. Singapore needs these people not.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 9:01 am

In terms of your preferred school fees, local schools will fit the bill but it is extremely difficult to get into these schools because of lack of spaces of foreigners.
GIIS (global indian International School) has school fees of about SGD 1500 per month. DPS is another indian school but I do not know their fees.

You will need to adjust your expectations regarding school fees or become open to home schooling. Of course, if you are extremely lucky and your child is exceptional you can try the local school route through AEIS admission. Chances of getting in through this route is very low (<10% based on anecdotal evidence).
https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/inter ... s-exercise

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 9:46 am

Assuming you could even get a placement in a local school (last tier of balloting after citizen then PRs. IF there are any places left) the minimum costs per month would be $612 not counting bus fees of $100++/month payable for 12 payments (11 months of school) - just the way it works here.

https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/inter ... chool-fees

Once they hit secondary school the fees jump to $970/mo ++.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 10:47 am

bro75 wrote: In terms of your preferred school fees, local schools will fit the bill but it is extremely difficult to get into these schools because of lack of spaces of foreigners.
GIIS (global indian International School) has school fees of about SGD 1500 per month. DPS is another indian school but I do not know their fees.

You will need to adjust your expectations regarding school fees or become open to home schooling. Of course, if you are extremely lucky and your child is exceptional you can try the local school route through AEIS admission. Chances of getting in through this route is very low (<10% based on anecdotal evidence).
https://www.moe.gov.sg/admissions/inter ... s-exercise
Like 15 years ago, there werent' any "Indian" schools at all.

Now there are quite a few, catering to the up market Indian Expats.

GIIS
DPS
NPS
Yuvbarathi ...

Which charge upwards of 1,000 $ a month.

Which means, there are enough who can afford to pay !!

So, back to OP, where did you get this 500 $ Budget ? Make it 1,500 !!!

You can have your kid in a great CBSE Syllabus school. Fit for an Indian Kid

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 1:19 pm

Local schools are very difficult to get for foreigners, so forget this option. Also I heard Yuvabharati the cheapest Indian school has problems with their lease renewal so their continuation from next year is suspect.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 13 Sep 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 13 Sep 2017 1:34 pm

Wd40 wrote:Local schools are very difficult to get for foreigners, so forget this option.

Your recommended Intl School is ? :D No offense, honest question.

Seems Nexus and Dimensions are also attracting Indian kids !

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 11 Nov 2017 4:06 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Local schools are very difficult to get for foreigners, so forget this option.

Your recommended Intl School is ? :D No offense, honest question.

Seems Nexus and Dimensions are also attracting Indian kids !
Do you know more about Dimensions? Dimensions apparently was a tuition centre but turning itself into a school looking at the demand.

Nexus is too expensive, there are better and cheaper options.