Singapore Expats Forum

Exploring good school for indian kids moving from US

Discuss various schooling options for your children here.
arnav

Exploring good school for indian kids moving from US

Postby arnav » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 8:27 am

All,

We are planning to move to Singapore from US. We are currently visting Singapore and currently exploring schools/jobs/apartments.

We are indian with kids born/grown up in the US. so I am trying to find the right fit for them in Singapore. By "right fit" I mean, where they can go to a school which focuses on education/discipline and fosters an open environment for learning. And at the same time be able to have a mix of Indian/local asian kids. Maybe it's not easy to explain what I mean. I visited GIIS and my first impression was it caters to Indian kids moving from India. Plus it made me feel like I would be moving them away from the local kids/environment. Living in the US, they went to public local schools where they mixed with the local kids. And then we have a huge Indian friends and associated with Indian dance schools etc - so we had plenty of Indian friends.

So now if I were to move to Singapore - I would like to provide them the good education and at the same time be able to identify with Indians with similar views. So I guess that makes me wonder if I should be looking into local public schools. So I would like to get some advise about local public school with a good mix of Indian kids and other asian kids.

Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 9:15 am

Aside from GIIS or the other Indian Int'l schools (which I agree, cater mostly to those in a predominately India oriented - planning to return to India - type of situation), local schooling may by your only option. However, depending on the age of the children this may also be a bad move unless your children are/have been high achievers as they may find themselves in a situation where their peers of a similar age may be academically ahead of them. This is especially so if your children are products of the US public school system. Again, it depends on the ages of your children.

The racial mix in the public/government schools here is, for all intents and purposes, a racial mix roughly proportionate to the racial make-up of Singapore in general. This is due to the HDB housing policies (80+% of the population live in HDB flats) which governs how many of which race are allowed in each and every HDB block. (Government sponsored racism)

Therefore, the rough mix is equal to around 84% Chinese, 14% Malay and 7.5% Indian. (This, of course can vary a couple of points in either direction depending on the closeness of the home to the schools, etc., etc.) Some schools are "perceived" to be "good" schools vrs "neighbourhood" schools but all use the exact same government curriculum. In recent years, it not uncommon to see neighbourhood schools producing the top students in a given cohort so don't let the terms mislead you. This is especially so, if your children are susceptible to peer pressure and are starting out with an academic disadvantage in sciences and maths (of which Singapore tends to excel).

You might want to get a few more posts (5 total) so your PM function activates and then send boffenl a PM. She has her daughter enrolled (although she isn't Indian - but Caucasian) and her daughter is excelling at her local school in Clementi. Both of my children went through the local school system as well (they are half & half - Indian/Caucasian) but that's been a while ago as they are now 21 & 26.

sms

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:37 pm

If you want to continue with an American curriculum, then I'd look into SAS. There is a huge amount of kids at Singapore American School who are of Indian extraction. My children have many friends from the sub-continent, my son's girlfriend is Indian, my daughter's best friends are Indian, and I have many, many Indian friends. I would say percentage-wise it's about 20% of the overall student population, the third largest 'minority' after Korean and Japanese. Indian parents are very well connected, both on the school board and in volunteer positions. There are even outlets in the cafeterias dedicated to just Indian food. Something to think about ~ Good luck with your search.

arnav

Thanks

Postby arnav » Tue, 10 Apr 2012 9:43 am

Hi,

Thanks for the response. It's great information.

We are moving there in July and keeping local public school options open. But would like to see them in school by August. so looking at :
OFS
Chatsworth
and now read about "nexus".

Never heard if "Nexus" before, but from the website, looks interesting.

will have to decide soon.