Singapore Expats

How much to lease a car?

Discuss about car leasing and rental in Singapore.
pacificrim

How much to lease a car?

Post by pacificrim » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 11:38 am

I am moving to Singapore in January and no matter where I have lived in the world, I've always enjoyed the freedom of a vehicle. I understand buying a vehicle is outrageously expensive. Is it more economical to lease? For a basic small car (nothing fancy), how much can I expect to pay monthly?
Also, I have a Canadian driver's license only. Will that be acceptable for a newcomer?

Your tips are greatly appreciated!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: How much to lease a car?

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:34 pm

pacificrim wrote:I am moving to Singapore in January and no matter where I have lived in the world, I've always enjoyed the freedom of a vehicle. I understand buying a vehicle is outrageously expensive. Is it more economical to lease? For a basic small car (nothing fancy), how much can I expect to pay monthly?
Also, I have a Canadian driver's license only. Will that be acceptable for a newcomer?

Your tips are greatly appreciated!
You can take the Basic Theory Test (BTT) here in Singapore and convert your foreign license to a Singapore License.

I think there is a minimum time after which you can do the conversion, like your Foreign license must have been issued before a year or so before you apply for the foreign license conversion.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:44 pm

Long term car leasing is an option, but it will set you back probably a MIMIMUM of $1000/mo (and that's for a shoebox on a rollerskate). More like $1200/mo UP to the sky's the limit. Figure somewhere around $1500/mo. Add in parking fees the whole time you have it (unless you are in a condo with free parking. Everywhere else on the island is paid for parking. Downtown parking in building parking lots are very expensive so unless you are working out of the CBD (central business district) or your company is providing free parking, you will need to add a considerable amount for parking alone, along with the ERP (electronic road pricing) which you need to keep a cash card in a device on the dashboard and money will be deducted as you pass under various gantries all over the island on major roads and as you enter the CBD. Figure around $2-2.5K/month for the privilege of driving a car here.

You can drive on your Canadian License for 12 months here, by then you will need to have converted to a Local Singapore License.

Following are a couple of links from my links page below....

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ersion.htm

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... ng/en.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 1:03 pm

add in insurance as well.

pacificrim

Thank you!

Post by pacificrim » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 1:08 pm

That is very useful information everyone. Thank you kindly.
Certainly not economical to lease or own a car is it? I may consider getting settled in first to see how much I really need a car. Perhaps renting a car on weekends will be the way to go ;)
Thanks again,

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 1:55 pm

I've owned 3 cars here. I sold the last one in 1991 several months after the COE permit system started. I've used public transport every since. (Oh yeah, I'm a Yank who has always owned a car since I was 16 and that was a long, long time ago.

Also, if you like to take a nip now & again, driving under the influence is pretty much a no-no here with pretty stiff penalties, if you like to do happy hours after work, it's best to leave the transport at home.

http://www.spf.gov.sg/mic/2010/100328_fencing.htm
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

pacificrim

Post by pacificrim » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 2:08 pm

Thanks Yank,
Very helpful indeed!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 3:40 pm

pacificrim wrote:Thanks Yank,
Very helpful indeed!
I was 16 and that was a long, long time ago
Vintage Classic :lol: :P Though in A1 condition lucky bugger!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Dec 2010 4:17 pm

Yeah, but there's a lot of mileage on the clock. But with regular maintenance! :P

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 2:23 pm

Riding a bike is actually much cheaper and whole lot more fun. While people will tell you it isn't safe, if you are a good ride and ride with proper gear it would definitely minimise the risk.

Cheers!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 2:58 pm

hey revhappy, you wanna change your post a wee bit? Some might be tickled at advising someone that they need to be a good ride! Of course, I'm in full agreement when in comes to the ladies themselves, but to ride a bike? :cool:

Though, thinking about it, if you are a lady and a good ride, you don't need to ride a bike, as someone will always be driving you around anyway! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 3:00 pm

revhappy wrote:Riding a bike is actually much cheaper and whole lot more fun. While people will tell you it isn't safe, if you are a good ride and ride with proper gear it would definitely minimise the risk.

Cheers!
Hey revhappy, you wanna change your post a wee bit? Some might be tickled at advising someone that they need to be a good ride! Of course, I'm in full agreement when in comes to the ladies themselves, but to ride a bike? :cool:

Though, if you think about it, if you are a good ride, you won't need to ride a bike anyway, someone will always driving you around! :wink:

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 3:06 pm

:D. Wow, one letter 'r' missed and the sentence becomes so funny! Still cant stop laughing.:)

JaanJ
Regular
Regular

Post by JaanJ » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 3:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Some might be tickled at advising someone that they need to be a good ride.

Already tickling funnyyyy.......makes me laugh on this gloomy day :D