Singapore Expats Forum

MOVE OR NOT? PLEASE HELP!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

maverick singh

MOVE OR NOT? PLEASE HELP!

Postby maverick singh » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 5:31 pm

Hi People

I am 32, an Indian from Delhi, who currently works with an financial services company in London and have been offered a position at a rival company in Singapore on expat terms :

Salary SG$ 16,000 pm + Housing SG$ 4200 pm + Transport SG$2800pm ( but no company car)+ medical+ club membership

I currently make £72K+medical+company car+ESOPs

Do both compare in purchasing power terms? I hear the cost of living in Singapore can get quite high and getting a car is way too expensive.Is there a point in leasing a car?

I dont really mind using public transport given that it seems rather efficient. Also would I be able to live in town on this allowance in a somewhat plush condo?Any reccos? Done some research on the net and the condos seem quite slick.

Finally, the social scence? Talked to a couple of ppl and got diameterically opposing views!!! I like to go out, party on the weekends as most normal humans :-)

Sure would appreciate some views from ppl who have been there for a bit and can part with insider info ;-)

Cheers!

JustMoved

Go for it!

Postby JustMoved » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 6:20 pm

Hi, I just moved over to Singapore from the UK and I can share a few thoughts with you:
* Salary seems great. I took a $14k/month job in Singapore, rather than a GBP65,000/year job in London. Tax in Singapore is very low (I now pay average 10%...). If you earn 72k per year gross in London, you'll be much better off
* Cost of living is much, much lower than London (except alcohol, which is a bit expensive, though still cheaper than London). Accomodation can be expensive, but you get it paid, so why worry?
* $4,200 will get you a nice condo close to the centre. Maybe not the best in Singapore, but definitely much better than anything you could afford in London
* for the money you get paid for transport, you can get a taxi for everything you do and still have money left... You can easily afford a car for rent/buy with that money
* Social life: I haven't been partying much yet, but the team assistant comes to the office almost every morning with a hang-over from partying... ;-)
People say that Singapore is best enjoyed as a couple (as in my case), but I think singles can party quite well here.

All in all: deal sounds excellent. Go for it, you won't regret it!

Good luck.

maverick singh

Re: Go for it!

Postby maverick singh » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 6:41 pm

[quote="JustMoved"]Hi, I just moved over to Singapore from the UK and I can share a few thoughts with you:
* Salary seems great. I took a $14k/month job in Singapore, rather than a GBP65,000/year job in London. Tax in Singapore is very low (I now pay average 10%...). If you earn 72k per year gross in London, you'll be much better off
* Cost of living is much, much lower than London (except alcohol, which is a bit expensive, though still cheaper than London). Accomodation can be expensive, but you get it paid, so why worry?
* $4,200 will get you a nice condo close to the centre. Maybe not the best in Singapore, but definitely much better than anything you could afford in London

Hi there

Thanks for your reply :-)

It seems a relief that someone on the same career level made the move and seems more than happy. You have no idea how encouraging that is!

I gross approx 94K in london with stock options and the car. I'm still negotiating with this new company on for a raised housing component (Im asking for SG 5.5K) + a couple of more freebies given that I will not be on ESOPs in Sing.

But yeah couldnt agree more with you on lower taxes, its very tempting!

And I have been told this before, that the singles scene isn't quiet happening in Sg, however given everything else falling into place, I'm quite willing to take my chances on that aspect!

How hard is it to hire a maid? I get a lot of conflicting info on this too, some say its a great idea and others dont have very many complimentary thing to say about the service.

Lastly...is there some sort of social platform where one can meet other ppl from UK/India

Thanks once again for your balanced and positive feedback. Sure do hope to touchbase if I take up on this offer. You seem to be rather happy there, no reason why I won't be?!

Cheers once again

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:15 am

First time I've heard somebody complain about the singles scene in Sg, this place is like a candy shop for young single men. 8) Being Indian does limit your options a little in heavily-Chinese Singapore, but only a little.

Your salary is ridiculously huge by Singaporean standards and you can easily hire a Mercedes with chaffeur to driver you around if you feel like it. Maids are easy to find and cost around S$500/mo including levy, although naturally finding a good and/or experienced one will be harder and, by law, you can't have a live-in maid if you're a single guy.

maverick singh

Im moving!

Postby maverick singh » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 2:02 am

jpatokal wrote:First time I've heard somebody complain about the singles scene in Sg, this place is like a candy shop for young single men. 8) Being Indian does limit your options a little in heavily-Chinese Singapore, but only a little.

Your salary is ridiculously huge by Singaporean standards and you can easily hire a Mercedes with chaffeur to driver you around if you feel like it. Maids are easy to find and cost around S$500/mo including levy, although naturally finding a good and/or experienced one will be harder and, by law, you can't have a live-in maid if you're a single guy.

Hi Patokal

Looks like I will be moving there in mid january as the company has agreed to my suggestions on upscaling the perks marginally.

Thanks fr the input, in fact Id be taking a 10-15% drop in my compensation package to work in Sg but I guess the lower taxes even that out. And I am definitely looking forward to spending the next couple of years working there.

Sg is considered candy shop for ( not so! ) young like me as most western expats are fascinated by oriental women, being Indian myself, the Asian exotica attraction is relatively very limited from my perspective so I intend to continue dating interesting women, Chinese or otherwise is immaterial :-)

I really appreciate that bit of info on the car, so while I dont want a chaffeur ( being a keen driver myself) a car would definitely be a huge advantage...any input who I should contact in Sg to workout a reasonable monthly lease?

I am planning to take a reconnaissance trip sometimes in dec to possibly find a suitable condo, fix up a car lease and the maid. Would 1 week in Sg suffice or am i being overly optimistic?

Thanks a ton

Global Citizen

Postby Global Citizen » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 7:36 am

maverick singh wrote:Lastly...is there some sort of social platform where one can meet other ppl from UK/India

Hello Maverick,

Firstly congratulations on your new job and a warm welcome to you. Although I'm not in SG presently, and am aware some things have changed since I last went "home", one thing you won't have to worry abt is not being able to meet other Indians or ppl from the UK. Lots of Indian and British expats in SG and although the local Indian populace is primarily South Indian, there's a fair sprinkling of Hindu Punjabis, Sikhs, Sindhis, Gujeratis and Bengalis in the mix. But hey an Indian is an Indian is an Indian.....!

There used to be an Indian Club in Stevens Rd; you may want to check out the location though in the tel directory in case it has moved that you could join to meet other Indians and find out more abt social activities as well as tons of other expat clubs. Diwali is known as Deepavali in SG (South Indian term) and is celebrated and observed as a public holiday. I hope this bit helps and you'll enjoy your stay.

P.S. My husband and I are planning to visit in Feb and if things work out, maybe we can meet. All the best.

maverick singh

Postby maverick singh » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 11:40 pm

Global Citizen wrote:
maverick singh wrote:Lastly...is there some sort of social platform where one can meet other ppl from UK/India

Hello Maverick,

Firstly congratulations on your new job and a warm welcome to you. Although I'm not in SG presently, and am aware some things have changed since I last went "home", one thing you won't have to worry abt is not being able to meet other Indians or ppl from the UK. Lots of Indian and British expats in SG and although the local Indian populace is primarily South Indian, there's a fair sprinkling of Hindu Punjabis, Sikhs, Sindhis, Gujeratis and Bengalis in the mix. But hey an Indian is an Indian is an Indian.....!

Hiya GC,

Thanks for the welcome, despite my slight apprehensions I am quite looking forward to being there. Way I look at it, I was as apprehensive when I initially moved to the US to study ( from india) and then before working in london and I've never regreted any of those decisions, in fact I have just met wonderful people and made some lasting friendships along the way.

Cheers for that bit on the Indian club....but yeah Im the one who would be found hanging out with most expat ( and local!) clubs as I tend to have mates from across the spectrum..

And yeah its definitely a great idea to meet up when you get there in Feb...Id already be settled in by then and would love to invite you both over a meal...I'm passionate about cooking, so if you both have a thing for Indian food...I'm your man!

And yeah a Happy Diwaali to you :-)

ps my email is uk_london_guy@yahoo.co.uk

Global Citizen

Postby Global Citizen » Thu, 11 Nov 2004 7:28 am

Ah Maverick, you've touched on a subject close to our hearts and soul when you mention food. :D I'll explain more when I get around to sending you an email.

Thanks for the invitation. I truly hope we'll be able to work something out when we're there.

maverick singh

Postby maverick singh » Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:19 pm

Global Citizen wrote:Ah Maverick, you've touched on a subject close to our hearts and soul when you mention food. :D I'll explain more when I get around to sending you an email.

Thanks for the invitation. I truly hope we'll be able to work something out when we're there.

hiya GC!

ooooooops ive just noticed my email has a typo...it should be uk_lon_don_guy@yahoo.co.uk NOT uk_london_guy

And yes Im a foodie to the core!

Look forward to hearing from you

Cheers

New SG res...

Re: Moving to Sing - the caribbean

Postby New SG res... » Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:12 am

"If you want to check out a few new condos I found . pretty good, the new one 'Caribbean' looks pretty cool. For expat social clubs there is the www.britishclub.org.sg and also america club, membership is a bit expensive but some companies will include this in their expat packages or there seems to be numerous golf/country clubs. "

My husband and I have just moved to Singapore and into the Caribbean. It is fabulous! He works in the city, bus takes ten minutes and comes every 5-10 minutes. Harbourfront MRT is 5 minutes walk, Harbourfront shopping mall & Seah min hawker centre are both withing 5 minutes walk. The cable car also stops next door (to Mt Faber and Sentosa Island). Facilities are fabulous & condition/ layout is great. All apartments have some water view (either inside the complex or to harbour or both), and all apartments have only one common wall.
I can highly recommend it!

Re- clubs... I suggest getting membership of a couple of clubs in UK with Reciprocal membership here if the company package doesn't suit.