Singapore Expats Forum

MP's letter of reference

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
karanrao1837

MP's letter of reference

Postby karanrao1837 » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 2:32 pm

Hi
Some time back I read a comment that a reference letter from the local MP would help the cause while applying for PR. Is it better to have this reference letter along with the initial application or apply first and if the PR is rejected then request an MP to reccomend your Appeal.

Just a hypothetical question guys! Thanks

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: MP's letter of reference

Postby ksl » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 2:40 pm

karanrao1837 wrote:Hi
Some time back I read a comment that a reference letter from the local MP would help the cause while applying for PR. Is it better to have this reference letter along with the initial application or apply first and if the PR is rejected then request an MP to reccomend your Appeal.

Only for the appeal, unless they are friends of yours :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 2:42 pm

Only use the MP letter if rejected. ICA tends to look askance at those who use MP's & lawyers to make their initial applications for PR as the forms are so simple that any dunce can do it. After all, those applying for it are "supposed" to be foreign "talent". If they cannot fill out a simple PR application then they don't deserve it. An MP or lawyer cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. :-|

karanrao1837

MP's letter of reference

Postby karanrao1837 » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 2:51 pm

Ouch! A silk purse from a sow's ear - Classical quotes but that was rather direct SMS! Be that as it may there seems to be consensus on this topic that it were best done in case of an Appeal only. Thanks guys! [/quote]

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 3:40 pm

Was not necessarily directed at you. Only to those who think their applications aren't up to snuff and need the help up front. :wink:

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 4:55 pm

ksl wrote:

Actually in some ways it is true if you have been involved in that community centre whereby if you have known the MP/Minister for sometime and you have done fantastic job in volunteering, you can request a letter of recommendation from the MP or PAP chairing committee. Content can include a good character etc... yet again you need to give before you can take.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 11:18 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
ksl wrote:

Actually in some ways it is true if you have been involved in that community centre whereby if you have known the MP/Minister for sometime and you have done fantastic job in volunteering, you can request a letter of recommendation from the MP or PAP chairing committee. Content can include a good character etc... yet again you need to give before you can take.
Yes I agree very much, being ex military and who you know on the ladder within a community goes a very long way for character references

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 11:43 pm

I believe the OP was referring to the meet the MP night at the local constituency and having an interview and getting the MP to write a letter as is normally the case. You present your case and the MP, not knowing who you are and what you are, generally will write a letter of recommendation even though they normally don't have a clue how the MOM works.

It's as big difference than what MS is talking about. I could get one from my local MP who is also a Minister as well because I've been a member of the residence committee for quite some time now. That type of recommendation takes on a more personal note as the MP actually knows you.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Fri, 17 Dec 2010 11:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I believe the OP was referring to the meet the MP night at the local constituency and having an interview and getting the MP to write a letter as is normally the case. You present your case and the MP, not knowing who you are and what you are, generally will write a letter of recommendation even though they normally don't have a clue how the MOM works.

It's as big difference than what MS is talking about. I could get one from my local MP who is also a Minister as well because I've been a member of the residence committee for quite some time now. That type of recommendation takes on a more personal note as the MP actually knows you.
Hence the smiley
Only for the appeal, unless they are friends of yours within the community network :lol: