Singapore Expats Forum

Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

echoyuqi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri, 16 Jan 2015

Re: Re:

Postby echoyuqi » Thu, 16 Apr 2015 10:31 am

Thank you


Strong Eagle wrote:
echoyuqi wrote:
nutnut wrote:Put your home address, if you are working from place to place then you have no exact location.
That's what my wife did in a similar situation to you.


I am a tutor, and work from place to place. And MOM still asked me for 'Tenancy Agreement of the place where applicant is going to work at'.

Anyone had this issue before?

thanks


Businesses need to have a fixed address for the service of papers, tax documents, etc. Use your home address.

stephstaples
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 22 May 2015

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby stephstaples » Fri, 22 May 2015 9:30 pm

Thanks so much for the above info! You have made what has so far been a "frustrating" and "running around getting the wrong info" situation, into a clear path for me to follow. Hopefully I'll be working for myself soon!(fingers crossed!)

Busakid
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 30 Jun 2015

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby Busakid » Tue, 30 Jun 2015 11:11 am

Given this is now 5yrs down the track and things seemed to have changed - I wonder if this is still possible?
(and did you eventually get the LOC?)

Maxman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 28 Jul 2015

DP to Sole Propiertorship to LOC

Postby Maxman » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 8:35 am

Hi,

I have searched the forum thread but still not sure how to get an LOC. It says you can do it online, but nowhere I can find the appropriate link.

As background:
* I have a DP
* I have arranged everything for SingPass (and it works)
* I have successfully set up a business (sole proprietorship)
* Now all I need is an LOC / permit to work - and I struggle to complete that step
* Also, often 'the 6 documents' are mentioned in the thread, but nowhere I can find an actual list of those 6 documents.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Max.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10468
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: DP to Sole Propiertorship to LOC

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 29 Jul 2015 8:50 pm

Maxman wrote:Hi,

I have searched the forum thread but still not sure how to get an LOC. It says you can do it online, but nowhere I can find the appropriate link.

As background:
* I have a DP
* I have arranged everything for SingPass (and it works)
* I have successfully set up a business (sole proprietorship)
* Now all I need is an LOC / permit to work - and I struggle to complete that step
* Also, often 'the 6 documents' are mentioned in the thread, but nowhere I can find an actual list of those 6 documents.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Max.


The LOC link is here: http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... of-consent

However, I no longer see any way to submit a LOC application manually. There are options for submitting additional documents, perhaps that will work.

bluebubble
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2015

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby bluebubble » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 5:33 pm

Hallo,
New user here. Created account just to post this message - long time stalker though!
Firstly, I wanted to thank all of those who came before me to figure out some of this information, it has been a great help to me and it's the place I got most of my information. It is a landmine out there with nothing clearly stated - even on official sites. Yes, just as those who came before, I was advised as a DP trying to open Sole Proprietorship and apply for LOC, that foreigners aren't getting approved anymore, I should apply for EntrePass, it's not possible to freelance on sole proprietorship in Singapore, etc etc. I'm sure you've heard it all if you are here. Well, as of 2 weeks ago, my LOC application was approved! So I thought I'd share my now updated findings as a thank you and a 'pass it forward' to the next lot trying to do the same! Here is my to do list. Very similar to the previous ones (thank you again!) but a little updated:

1. Get a SingPass https://www.singpass.gov.sg/singpass/re ... structions This is your government record number basically.
2. Register your business as a Sole Proprietorship with ACRA via BizFile - $65 total. https://www.psi.gov.sg/NASApp/tmf/TMFSe ... E-LOGIN-1B
3. Apply to MOM for LOC with the following supporting documents:
http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... of-consent
a) ACRA Business Profile
b) Business Plan including: Detailed description of job duties, Venue where you will perform the job duties, Purpose of Business, Market for Business
c) Reasons why EntrePass is not applicable (e.g. no capital investments, no physical place of business, no employees)
d) Undertaking letter (If my DP is cancelled, I will stop working)
e) Self-employment letter (I'm the business owner and will hire myself as the only employee)
f) Any regular support info like degrees, recommendations, CV, Passport, DP id etc.
g) Also include a cover letter stating briefly who you are, what you want to do, and why you'll be relevant in Singapore
^I only put a few sentences on a page for each of these.

Applications for LOC as of 1 June 2015 are now online only. You cannot apply online yourself and HAVE to get an Employment Agency to submit the application on your behalf. This costs $150-$250 approximately. After my application was successful (2 weeks ago), my EA advised me successful applications are probably around 10% for foreigners these days. Who knows if that's true or not?!

Also, I applied to MOM without a company stamp, but when they want the follow up signatures returned after the accepted application, it asks again for a company stamp, at which point I caved and got one done on the spot for $25. (Just in case). I also created a simple company logo in Word and put it on all of the pages of my LOC application. I wanted to make it look legit.

Other useful and helpful sites/forums I found include:
viewtopic.php?t=106997
https://www.acra.gov.sg/components/wire ... =1087#1090
https://www.acra.gov.sg/components/wire ... entid=1761
http://www.thomasabeesh.com/327/registe ... ietorship/
https://www.acra.gov.sg/How_To_Guides/S ... ietorship/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1400860 ... 8/?fref=ts

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the CPF board. Does anyone know anything about this? I set this up when I was trying to apply to MOM (it didn't work) but not sure if I need to make CPF contributions or not?!

Anyway, I hope this helps future applicants! And thank you all again for the invaluable research that has gone into this forum over the years! :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 5:45 pm

You do not need a CPF account unless you are a PR or a Citizen. Once you have an NRIC number it's easy. However, you will need a CPF account as an employer IF you are going to hire either of the above types of staff (PR or Citizen) As a self-employed person on a LoC though, no need.

bluebubble
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2015

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby bluebubble » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 5:48 pm

Thank you so much, that's awesome!! :)

Ale2015
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2015

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby Ale2015 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 6:13 pm

I am newbie here as well. This information is very useful, thank you for sharing!

I am planning to re-start my small business doing my art and crafts again as I used to do in my prior host country. I used to donate all profits to charity, and I want to do the same here.

First I heard if you will get a profit less than 10,000 SGD per year and you sell only among friends, do not advertise, then you did not need a work permit of any kind. Is that true? I did not find anything on MOM site.

Now I am hesitant to do it after reading this information since I do not want to do anything illegal and jeopardize our legal stay here. :o

Please advise.
Thank you!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 6:22 pm

No it's not true. If you are selling to persons in Singapore you need to register a company, file income taxes, apply for a LoC or other type of suitable pass. A proper pass you do need. What people do, is their business, but what we espouse here is what is required.

Ale2015
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu, 30 Jul 2015

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby Ale2015 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 6:35 pm

Thank you very much for your advise, that's what I will do. Do I need an appointment to go to MOM?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 7:59 pm

First thing you need to do is register your business. My suggestion? Read this thread in it's entirety and then do a few searches of this forum with some carefully chosen words and read those threads. Then, if you have more questions, we will be glad to try to help. But those who have come before you and have subsequently been successful have posted step by step information on what to do and how to go about it.

naanwar
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed, 03 Jul 2013

Re: DP to Sole Propiertorship to LOC

Postby naanwar » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 4:04 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Maxman wrote:Hi,

I have searched the forum thread but still not sure how to get an LOC. It says you can do it online, but nowhere I can find the appropriate link.

As background:
* I have a DP
* I have arranged everything for SingPass (and it works)
* I have successfully set up a business (sole proprietorship)
* Now all I need is an LOC / permit to work - and I struggle to complete that step
* Also, often 'the 6 documents' are mentioned in the thread, but nowhere I can find an actual list of those 6 documents.

Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Max.


The LOC link is here: http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... of-consent

However, I no longer see any way to submit a LOC application manually. There are options for submitting additional documents, perhaps that will work.

naanwar
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed, 03 Jul 2013

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby naanwar » Mon, 03 Aug 2015 7:41 pm

Hi -

I am stuck on this step.

"3. Apply to MOM for LOC with the following supporting documents:
http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... of-consent"

In the EP Online section, there is a
Issue
---Pass section

In the bottom there is a
Issue Request.
When I press retrieve, I get an error.

Very confusing.
Any help will be very helpful.

Thanks.


bluebubble wrote:Hallo,
New user here. Created account just to post this message - long time stalker though!
Firstly, I wanted to thank all of those who came before me to figure out some of this information, it has been a great help to me and it's the place I got most of my information. It is a landmine out there with nothing clearly stated - even on official sites. Yes, just as those who came before, I was advised as a DP trying to open Sole Proprietorship and apply for LOC, that foreigners aren't getting approved anymore, I should apply for EntrePass, it's not possible to freelance on sole proprietorship in Singapore, etc etc. I'm sure you've heard it all if you are here. Well, as of 2 weeks ago, my LOC application was approved! So I thought I'd share my now updated findings as a thank you and a 'pass it forward' to the next lot trying to do the same! Here is my to do list. Very similar to the previous ones (thank you again!) but a little updated:

1. Get a SingPass https://www.singpass.gov.sg/singpass/re ... structions This is your government record number basically.
2. Register your business as a Sole Proprietorship with ACRA via BizFile - $65 total. https://www.psi.gov.sg/NASApp/tmf/TMFSe ... E-LOGIN-1B
3. Apply to MOM for LOC with the following supporting documents:
http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... of-consent
a) ACRA Business Profile
b) Business Plan including: Detailed description of job duties, Venue where you will perform the job duties, Purpose of Business, Market for Business
c) Reasons why EntrePass is not applicable (e.g. no capital investments, no physical place of business, no employees)
d) Undertaking letter (If my DP is cancelled, I will stop working)
e) Self-employment letter (I'm the business owner and will hire myself as the only employee)
f) Any regular support info like degrees, recommendations, CV, Passport, DP id etc.
g) Also include a cover letter stating briefly who you are, what you want to do, and why you'll be relevant in Singapore
^I only put a few sentences on a page for each of these.

Applications for LOC as of 1 June 2015 are now online only. You cannot apply online yourself and HAVE to get an Employment Agency to submit the application on your behalf. This costs $150-$250 approximately. After my application was successful (2 weeks ago), my EA advised me successful applications are probably around 10% for foreigners these days. Who knows if that's true or not?!

Also, I applied to MOM without a company stamp, but when they want the follow up signatures returned after the accepted application, it asks again for a company stamp, at which point I caved and got one done on the spot for $25. (Just in case). I also created a simple company logo in Word and put it on all of the pages of my LOC application. I wanted to make it look legit.

Other useful and helpful sites/forums I found include:
viewtopic.php?t=106997
https://www.acra.gov.sg/components/wire ... =1087#1090
https://www.acra.gov.sg/components/wire ... entid=1761
http://www.thomasabeesh.com/327/registe ... ietorship/
https://www.acra.gov.sg/How_To_Guides/S ... ietorship/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1400860 ... 8/?fref=ts

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the CPF board. Does anyone know anything about this? I set this up when I was trying to apply to MOM (it didn't work) but not sure if I need to make CPF contributions or not?!

Anyway, I hope this helps future applicants! And thank you all again for the invaluable research that has gone into this forum over the years! :D

adolf1
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 04 Sep 2015

Re: Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Postby adolf1 » Tue, 08 Sep 2015 4:26 pm

Wondering what would be the successful way for putting together job responsibilities. Have an US MBA, Recently authored a book, trying to start something in education from home. Listing myself as an educational consultant. Have 15 plus years in setting up and managing education businesses


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests