Singapore Expats

Open a Sole Proprietorship on a DP and getting the LoC

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sgbob

Do you have any updates Deekay?

Post by sgbob » Thu, 14 Jul 2011 1:20 pm

Deekay wrote:Hi All,

I just wanted to update everyone on this process. So today I went to MOM to hand in all my documents as described in this post and apparently there is no longer a blue room. Well there is a blue room but it is no longer used for the purpose that it used to be used for.

So I asked, when did this change occur and they replied of March this year. I said why? And they said because we no longer offer over the counter services for lodgement of employment related documents eg LOC.

So now all we are allowed to do at the MOM office for this process is to lodge the documents at the mail room (this is a small door just at the front entrance of the MOM office on the left hand side). The documents are received just as if you were mailing them only you have to take a copy of page 1 of the LOC that you lodge and they stamp that copy for your reference and proof that they have been lodged.

Now the 5 week wait starts until I find out if I have been approved!

Until then ............
Hi Deekay,

Did you hear back from MoM? I had gone to MoM sometime in June and was told by the staff in the "Orange" room that they do not approve these kind of applications anymore. Just want to know if there has been approvals recently.

Thanks,
sgbob

singaguy09

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES FOR LOC

Post by singaguy09 » Fri, 05 Aug 2011 3:56 am

Have been following the posts and mailing in the LOC tomorrow.

Wondering what would be the successful way for putting together job responsibilities. Have an US MBA, Recently authored a book, trying to start something in education from home. Listing myself as an educational consultant. Have 15 plus years in setting up and managing education businesses

Have been rejected twice for PR. Don't wish to take a chance here.

The forum here has been great. Thanks for that.

singaguy09

Re: APPROVED SOLE-PROPRIETORSHIP!!

Post by singaguy09 » Mon, 08 Aug 2011 8:50 am

Hi,

I am a newbie to the forum but have been reading the advice offered. About to apply for the LOC. Wondering if the contact person's info at the MOM is still available.

Also wondering if below sounds like good enough duties for JD'S:

1. Liaising with Singapore colleges to help them recruit International students for enrolling in their academic programs
2. Liaising with international students to help them find suitable academic programs and colleges in Singapore.
3. Creating online solution for helping Singapore colleges connect with International students
4. Liaising with parents to find supplementary education programs for their children
5. Liaising with supplementary education providers to find them qualified parents for their programs
6. Marketing recently written book “USA Survival Guide”

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 9:49 am

Any news of recent updates?

I am going through the same process. Have the registration qith ACRA and am filling up LOC form.

Stumped with 3 items:

UEN of the company.
1B: Financial & Other information: It's all 0 since its a fresh company.

+1 to wackyjaqy for his fairly detailed set of instructions.

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Wed, 12 Oct 2011 4:06 pm

beenthere wrote:Any news of recent updates?

I am going through the same process. Have the registration qith ACRA and am filling up LOC form.

Stumped with 3 items:

UEN of the company.
1B: Financial & Other information: It's all 0 since its a fresh company.

+1 to wackyjaqy for his fairly detailed set of instructions.
Found my answer to UEN

http://www.uen.gov.sg/

Same as you ACRA reg #

artfromtheheart

Anybody succeded recently getting LOC for SP (on DP) ?

Post by artfromtheheart » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 9:32 am

Hi all,

I recently contacted MOM re sole proprietorship (before I happened to find this thread). The answer by email twise and by phone once is that they will absolutely not accept a sole proprietorship for people on dependant passes. The ONLY way is to get an entrepass, start up a private limited company and pay up $50.000 in a bank account.
I replied that in all Entrepriseone's webpages it is stated that you can do it on a DP. His reply was, yes well that might be correct but you need to comply with MOM rules as well which doesn't allow it......

Starting a privat ltd company is a bit over the top for my little project - selling a few of my own paintings here and there ;)
After reading this thread I have decided just to go ahead with the sole proprietorship and send all document advised in this thread to MOM and then keep my fingers crossed.
But is there anyone who recently went through with this and succeded ? Does anyone have a contact name in MOM for a person who knows about these issues ?

Any other advices are most welcome aswell...... :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 10:43 am

Be careful. You don't want to get deported.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

artfromtheheart

Post by artfromtheheart » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 11:34 am

I'm not really sure I understand your comment......maybe I'm ignorant and don't understand the Singaporean ways yet ;)

I really want to do everything correct and by the book.

If others have succeded with applying at MOM with a SP/LOC/DP it might be because MOM do make exeptions occationally :)

I wouldn't think there is anything illegal in trying and if rejected/denied either forget about it all or actually deciding to go ahead applying for the entrapass ??!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 3:38 pm

No, that was just a warning about operating illegally (e.g., okay with one Ministry but in violation with another). MOM and ACRA are great for changing the goal posts as soon as somebody pulls a fast one and then brags about in on some internet forum for all to see. :-|

This forum is well read by certain Ministries. We are even listed as a source of information on a number of subjects on the MOM site!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

artfromtheheart

Post by artfromtheheart » Thu, 03 Nov 2011 4:15 pm

well, I have no intention of doing anything illegal - that is why I'm trying to figure out how it all works before I start anything up and I am currently in contact with both MOM, ACRA and EntrepriseOne to make sure I comply with everybody!

But so far the answer I get is "You need to apply for the Entrepass".

That is why I wanted to see if others have recently, with success, gotten the LOC from MOM ;)

bhavelyn

Post by bhavelyn » Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:42 am

I Have read through this thread (and also the previous ones from where this thread came). Thanks to everyone who has contributed in giving directions and details.
I will be following this process soon and am hoping to get the LoC. My spouse is on EP, and I intend to do business of making web-applications or web-templates.
I have one question though, (sorry if this has been answered, I couldn't find it) - When registering the business with ACRA, what should be address for business? also, same for MOM - "where the duties will be performed?" - As my work only requires a laptop and internet I can do it from anywhere. To give the home address, I will have to get more approvals first..
OR is it good to use something like a virtual office (to get the registered business address), and use the same for ACRA.

Thanks Everyone once again .. :-)

bhavelyn

Post by bhavelyn » Fri, 23 Dec 2011 12:57 am

One more thing to add to above, I do not have a SingPass, so to register with ACRA do I need to personally go and visit them? thanks.

bhavelyn

Post by bhavelyn » Fri, 23 Dec 2011 1:12 am

bhavelyn wrote:One more thing to add to above, I do not have a SingPass, so to register with ACRA do I need to personally go and visit them? thanks.
Ok, I found out that as a dependent pass holder I can get the SingPass, so this is sorted out, the question about the address still remains though.

thanks.

artfromtheheart

Post by artfromtheheart » Fri, 23 Dec 2011 9:03 am

Hi
I don't know if this information is helpful for you or not, but here it is :)
I contacted URA (Urban Redevelopment Authority) to see if I could get my home address accepted as my business address.
Here is their reply:
"If you are only using your residential address to register a business to facilitate collection of mails, permission from URA is not required.

You may approach ACRA on the business registration @ http://www.acra.gov.sg/"
and on the phone I was told as long as no customers would be coming and going the home address was ok.

On another note - I later spoke to ACRA and they "strongly advised against" making the SP before getting all the approvals from MOM. I still have to go to MOM so I don't know the outcome of that yet.

Please post here if you succeed and good luck :)

bhavelyn

Update

Post by bhavelyn » Fri, 27 Jan 2012 7:37 pm

Hi All,

Update on this.

I did as it is described in the thread, signed my own DP application. Included all the documents as described, and today, 4 weeks after submission, I have received letter from MOM stating that my LOC to work as a manager in my own SP is approved

Thanks to everyone who has posted useful information on this thread (and also on the other thread which links to here).

regards.