Singapore Expats Forum

Offered a job paying SGD $3500 - market rate?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

US Ex-Pat

Offered a job paying SGD $3500 - market rate?

Postby US Ex-Pat » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 3:35 pm

Hello...I am a US citizen being offered an analyst job in Singapore for SGD$3500/month. I have 4 years experience at a top tier MNC from the US and would be relocating from Boston. I would appreciate any insight on what this kind of salary is comparable to in USD, preferably in the Boston & NY economies. What kind of lifestyle would I be able to afford with this salary, and is it on the lower end for an ex-pat? No housing would be included, but healthcare, food and travel allowances are (do employees need to contribute company medical?). Also, how many vacation days are normally allotted in Singapore? To give a better idea of the type of lifestyle I'd be living, I'm single and in my mid-twenties and would prefer a one-bedroom apartment that is clean and spacious enough, and not necessarily luxurious or in a Class A area. I will not need a car, and do enjoy going out to clubs and pubs (and the occasional travel and shopping spree). Would appreciate perspectives from ex-pats and locals alike on the salary, neighborhoods I should be targeting, breakdown of spending, etc. Thanks much for your help in advance!

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:27 am

Sounds fairly poor. What is your salary in the US, surely more than that? Never, ever take a paycut if moving to a foreign country.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Wed, 10 Nov 2004 1:58 pm

jpatokal wrote:Never, ever take a paycut if moving to a foreign country.

These are words of wisdom that will save you a lot of grief - Nicely put :wink:

Postby Guest » Wed, 24 Nov 2004 1:27 pm

Have u checked out this page: http://www.singaporeexpats.com/guides-f ... gapore.htm?

It'll probably give u an idea of the costs of living in singapore.

About vacation leave, usually it ranges between 14 and 21 days for locals. I would think that they should at least pay for your housing for the salary they're offering you.

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Tue, 14 Dec 2004 6:42 am

US Expat,

Please check out the Hudson Spore website as they have a report on average salaries expected for a given position. For an analyst with your background, i would not expect anything less than $4500. Of course, you'll need to negotiate. Your chances are better if youre working for an MNC in Spore. At the very least you get 20 days of leave a year, and usually medical benefits.

Adrian

hr person

Postby hr person » Tue, 14 Dec 2004 4:36 pm

Hi,

I was a HR executive for a top IT firm in Singapore and with hiring experience of over 4 years. The salaray of SGD3,500 they offered to you seems that the company pays the average salary to you that where i usually offered to locals and foreinger such as those from INDIA and China and many more. In fact, we paid foreign IT professional even higher than 4k per month.

For a 3.5k salary per month, i doubth its a good choice for you since you will be living in a tiny space compared to what you enjoy in the US.

adrianleee

Postby adrianleee » Wed, 15 Dec 2004 9:46 am

Hr Person,

In your opinion, how much S$ can a management accountant with 6 years professional working experience in Australian public company expect in Singapore.

Thanks