Calling all catholics and christians

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
jeovana
Regular
Regular

Calling all catholics and christians

Postby jeovana » Thu, 09 Dec 2010 11:07 pm

Greetings!

Just yesterday, my friend was suggesting that it would be good to organise a catholic-christian meet-up. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to have a gathering for some fellowship and to build bonds...will help us grow spiritually ;) Well if you are interested do let me know...

God bless
Live life to the fullest!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Dec 2010 6:45 am

That's funny. I was brought up to think that Catholics WERE Christians. If they are not, what are they? (aside from the odd priest that likes children that is - we know what they are)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 10 Dec 2010 7:33 am

I think. OP meant the non-catholic evangelicals. They don't really have any other label except 'Christian.'

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby merichan » Fri, 10 Dec 2010 8:49 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's funny. I was brought up to think that Catholics WERE Christians. If they are not, what are they? (aside from the odd priest that likes children that is - we know what they are)

Yep catholic are christians

But opposite isn't true... actually half of the christians are not "roman catholic" according to wiki

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Dec 2010 9:58 am

merichan wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's funny. I was brought up to think that Catholics WERE Christians. If they are not, what are they? (aside from the odd priest that likes children that is - we know what they are)

Yep catholic are christians

But opposite isn't true... actually half of the christians are not "roman catholic" according to wiki

Why should they be? Christianity is the believe in the Holy Trinity. Catholics are only a branch of Christianity as are 7th Day Adventists, Methodists, Mormans, and all other denominations with their own sectarian beliefs or followings

It's the same in Islam. There are many sects with their own followings but all follow Allah & the Prophet Mohammed. Ahmadiyya, Shi'a, Sufism & Sunni being the four major sects of which Sunni are the equivalent of Catholics in Christianity, e.g., the largest single sectarian group.

metalmouth

Postby metalmouth » Sun, 12 Dec 2010 1:49 pm

which church do you go to ?
You all stare but you never see there's something inside me

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 12 Dec 2010 2:33 pm

The Church of the What's Happening Now!

I like your signature.."I wasn't born with two eyes just to see one thing". I supposed that's why I gave up organized religion 50 years ago. :wink:

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby scarbowl » Mon, 13 Dec 2010 5:29 pm

Actually, there is a giant divide between Catholics and Protestants (the named usually used for "Christians" in the original posting.)

There are some Protestants who consider Catholics a non-Christian sect as they believe in the infallibility of the Pope which is an impossibility in Protestant theology.

Protestants are prohibited from taking communion in a Catholic Church or with other Catholics as they are seen (or actually) disagree on the Catholic Church's view of the Eucharist.

Protestants believe that salvation is strictly a matter of believe while Catholic dogma includes the condition of "meritorious works."

The concept of purgatory is also anathema to most Protestants.

In short, the fundamentalists of both faiths believe the other to be false. Perhaps not mainstream but the Catholic Church tends more to fundamentalism (due to the predominate conservatism of the Pope) than Protestantism which is much more diverse in the range of views and beliefs.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 13 Dec 2010 5:39 pm

scarbowl wrote:Actually, there is a giant divide between Catholics and Protestants (the named usually used for "Christians" in the original posting.)

There are some Protestants who consider Catholics a non-Christian sect as they believe in the infallibility of the Pope which is an impossibility in Protestant theology.

Protestants are prohibited from taking communion in a Catholic Church or with other Catholics as they are seen (or actually) disagree on the Catholic Church's view of the Eucharist.

Protestants believe that salvation is strictly a matter of believe while Catholic dogma includes the condition of "meritorious works."

The concept of purgatory is also anathema to most Protestants.

In short, the fundamentalists of both faiths believe the other to be false. Perhaps not mainstream but the Catholic Church tends more to fundamentalism (due to the predominate conservatism of the Pope) than Protestantism which is much more diverse in the range of views and beliefs.

Agreed. Basically one can see the line clearly drawn between Catholics and Protestants. However the original Protestants (or Puritans) during the time of Reformation had unified approach to the doctrine and theology that time (John Calvin, Zwingli etc). After Reformation only when the more different doctrines branch out from Protestants (but still classified under Protestants under the same umbrella), namely Armenianism, Pelagianism, Adventist etc. Charismatic is the most recent one, one can tell from the contempory approach...

Beuhlette

Postby Beuhlette » Tue, 04 Jan 2011 9:39 pm

Anyway, I really think that's a great idea!!!