Singapore Expats

Easy weight loss - need advice

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
miss.hollygreen

Post by miss.hollygreen » Thu, 30 May 2013 12:26 pm

i have been trying to lose weight ever since i moved here.. exercise, diet, tried it all but it's soo hard. Still at 55kg for a 1.52m :( :(

local food is just too fattening. even these local girls can't escape the fats you see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z0c3fpnYJ8

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 30 May 2013 12:31 pm

That is why I eat local food only occasionally. I cook for myself.

rosetulip

Post by rosetulip » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 1:39 am

i agree that changing your diet alone can do wonders. for those who love to eat, eat those food high in protein to keep you full longer.

i love to mix hard-boiled eggs together with oatmeal and braised peanuts (i dunno how healthy braised peanuts is but its high in protein level). enough to keep me full for many many hours. :)

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 9:26 am

Dude, what does that even taste like?

Eat less, move more. There should be more veg on your plate than carbs and you have to include all snacks and drinks into your calories. No point living on lettuce if you drink two pints of Milo a day. I'm not a fan of faddy diets, pills, shakes or what have you. Eat normal food that you enjoy but with more informed choices and a smaller plate.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:13 am

Hannieroo wrote:There should be more veg on your plate than carbs...
Excuse me, vegetabes ARE carbs. :)
I admire the idea of eating more vegetables for health. Does this phrase contain any information at all?
Do you not expect to get fat on 1 kilo of potatoes a day? Or you expect to get fat if you eat 1 kilo of cabbage, carrots or tomatoes a day?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:35 am

Sergei, don't get them mixed up. While all vegs have 'some' carbs, only those that grow beneath the soil are almost pure starch. Grains, being the other exception. Most green leafy vegs are not really carb ladened.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:49 pm

Everything has a calorie that has to be factored in but stating that going slow on the rice and upping the broccoli is hardly controversial or new. If you eat a full plate of pasta with bread and a small salad you will not lose weight as fast as a small pasta, no bread and huge salad. Common sense.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:27 pm

I am trying right now the high protein low carbohydrates diet (aka Dukan and such) and comparing to what I tried earlier (diversified low cal. diet) I have to admit it has some good points:
- I eat often close to as much as I want to (and I want sometimes a lot)
- if for some reason I do not follow the diet (birthdays, visits etc) it has much lesser impact on my weight than in the case of low cal. diet.

The disadvantages are: your kidneys should be in good shape as almost pure protein food puts extra load on them; it is a bit monotonous, but if one is a meat lover then it is more doable. Unfortunately no fruits are allowed and this is what I miss a lot.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 11:48 pm

This is one of the reasons why I prefer Cohen's weight loss diet as it's NOT high protein therefore lesser kidney trauma and fruits are allowed as well and the weight literally drops off after a week of detoxing from carbs, salt & sugar.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 12 Jun 2013 12:40 am

It would be bad for me to say "next time" I will try it but regardless, it's probably a good candidate to consider. Was it expensive? I mean all the tests and the plan?

Damn, it was so much easier to lose weight and control it later being single and in Europe.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Jun 2013 6:52 am

x9200 wrote:It would be bad for me to say "next time" I will try it but regardless, it's probably a good candidate to consider. Was it expensive? I mean all the tests and the plan?

Damn, it was so much easier to lose weight and control it later being single and in Europe.
Let's go into detail on the 21st if you are interested. I'll send you a couple of hyperlinks for a blow by blow of people doing it everyday for your reading pleasure.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:25 pm

Dukan is a bit hardcore. South Beach stage two is very doable and the recipes are easily modified for family eating. The snacks are the most important bit, as you get older your body gets panicky so eating good snacks stops that holding on of fat.

I stick with the quarter rule. One quarter of my entire meal is carbs, one quarter protein and two quarters veg, but avoiding root veg. Taste primarily. On the whole it allows for lapses.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 13 Jun 2013 8:36 pm

After what I used to do in few past years (600kal or less) Dukan is almost like a feast with hardly any true discomfort so far.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:51 am

Gosh. Did that make you feel unwell? I'd be fainting.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 15 Jun 2013 8:58 am

Only with some extra physical work like carrying heavy objects or running up some stairs.