Singapore Expats

Easy weight loss - need advice

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
CatherineL

Easy weight loss - need advice

Post by CatherineL » Sun, 05 Dec 2010 8:08 am

I have been on a starvation diet and a constant workout to burn my extra fats, the results aren't obvious and the worst thing is I got hungry quite often.

Anyone here has better idea on how to lose weight more easily?

paperbags

Post by paperbags » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 6:52 pm

Hello!

I've been researching on a few chinese medicines which aids in weight loss. Apparently, only my family members are giving it a go and it seems to be working pretty well.

Weight loss as defined is loss in total body mass (loss of fluid, body fats and etc), and it can be done rather easily with the help of herbs. However, I must still remind you that keeping to a strict diet and exercise do play a critical role in weight loss. Certain diuretics can help you lose weight very easily as it removes the excess fluid build up in your body.

I hope this helped!

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Grumpy77 » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 8:17 pm

Hi Catherine,

3 years ago I dropped from 108 to 92 kg in 6 months. I was never hungry but it was something that required daily management. I did it almost inadvertently when helping my mom recover from a heart attack + bypass surgery. Oh yeah, she is ok and also lost a pile of weight and has kept it off.

Since coming back to Sg, I slowly worked my way back up to 104 due to too many business lunches and family meals out in restaurants. My love of beer does not help...

3 wks ago I started back actively working it and I'm down 4kg already. I've over 50 so not using the smoke and mirrors of a young mans metabolism, and this does not involve 'starvation'. It does however require diet modification - there is a very big difference.

Excercise is also important but assuming there are no underlying health issues, losing weight is a function of diet and metabolism. Being healthy through excercise will increase your metabolism, and will provide all kinds of other positive benefit but it isn't absolutely required to lose weight - you must first and foremost eat properly.

Drop me a PM if you want to meet up for a coffee in town and I'll explain how it has worked for me and show some method, recipes and cookbooks and then it is really up to you to do the work. It's not hard, but it does require committment.

But really, starving yourself is absolutely NOT the way to do it. Your body is not happy with this method and will just pack on everthing it can for 'storage' between the less frequent meals. Much better to eat good food regularly, really watch the fat content - and see the weight come off with just a little effort.

Work smarter, it doesn't have to be so hard!

FitEx

fitness tips

Post by FitEx » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 3:10 pm

When you are exercising , your body need sufficient calories (carbo for energy , protein for build & repair your muscle) to replenish your energy, thus you may feel tired easily and do not perform well in exercise if you are exercising when you havent a diet.

After awhile of your starvation diet , your body mechanism will automatically slow down your metabolic rate. Hence in the long run , when you are back to the normal diet , your body will easily put on weight that you have lost .

In order for you to boost up your metabolism , you can do so by doing some strength training as gaining muscle will help you to boost up your metabolic rate. ( Even for women , gaining muscle does not mean you will look like a bodybuilder but instead more tone up)

Just my 2 cents of opinion, hope it will help u :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 23 Jan 2011 3:23 pm

tic....toc....tic....toc....
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ReadWill

Post by ReadWill » Fri, 28 Jan 2011 12:02 pm

you must consider your body like a car, only fill up the gas when you need to. so early in the morning feel free to eat carbs and fats, they will fuel you threw out your long day. but you can not starve yourself, or your body will continue to store all your calories, you must be active each day, drink lots of water, and sleep normal hours. eat smart, think positive, and keep moving.

dont make excuses. stay active with your friends, or get active and make new friends. WATER
woot

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Jan 2011 2:11 pm

ReadWill wrote:you must consider your body like a car, only fill up the gas when you need to. so early in the morning feel free to eat carbs and fats, they will fuel you threw out your long day. but you can not starve yourself, or your body will continue to store all your calories, you must be active each day, drink lots of water, and sleep normal hours. eat smart, think positive, and keep moving.

dont make excuses. stay active with your friends, or get active and make new friends. WATER
Eat plenty of carbs for breakfast before having any protein. :o That way you are sure to get an insulin spike and by 9 am will start craving sugars. I will agree with your later statements though. Eat Smart.

If you have to eat carbs for breakfast, make sure you eat them last. Same thing with drinking fruit juices for breakfast, NOT first thing but last after eating proteins. Make sure you eat a healthy source of proteins initially as this will slowing cause insulin to rise rather than causing a insulin spike. East Smart.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ReadWill

Post by ReadWill » Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:08 am

rice is not a complex carb, however a whole grain is.
woot

InTheBlue
Chatter
Chatter

Post by InTheBlue » Tue, 01 Feb 2011 12:43 pm

It HAS to be eggs in the morning.

Dump simplex carbs (you'll soon forget your craving for sugar) and don't eat carbs at night before you go to bed.

Exercise - if you run far enough for long enough, you will become lean without exception.

Do not starve yourself or the body will store everything you put into it in the form of fat.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Feb 2011 4:24 pm

InTheBlue wrote:It HAS to be eggs in the morning.

Dump simplex carbs (you'll soon forget your craving for sugar) and don't eat carbs at night before you go to bed.

Exercise - if you run far enough for long enough, you will become lean without exception.

Do not starve yourself or the body will store everything you put into it in the form of fat.
Spot on.

Liamini

Post by Liamini » Thu, 03 Feb 2011 10:47 pm

just be more active and find a sport that you kinda like (swimming, jogging, tennis)....while you start your sport, start to also make small little changes in your diet so that you will stick to it...then take away the unhealthy foods little by little...soon you will be fine just eating all healthy food.

adumponti

Post by adumponti » Thu, 03 Mar 2011 5:26 pm

Starvation didn't help to lose u r weight its a misconception. Proper routine workout and a balance diet can help you out. But 1st of all take advice from a nutrition expert or it will be better you join a gym.

wondercat

Post by wondercat » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 9:12 pm

Hi guys. Anyone can share with me his/her diet and exercise plan to lose 5kilos in 1-2mths time? Thankyou so much!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:40 pm

wondercat wrote:Hi guys. Anyone can share with me his/her diet and exercise plan to lose 5kilos in 1-2mths time? Thankyou so much!
Cut all your quantities of rice, potatoes, noodles & bread in half, or less if possible. Quit using sugar and salt (including soy sauces) and cut back on dairy products, e.g., cream, condensed milk, etc.

And, walk at least 10,000 steps a day - aerobic steps, e.g., a minimum of 120 steps a minute (preferable 150-180) for at least 20 minutes at a time.

That will both reduce your insulin spikes, and also tone up your muscles (burning some fat in the process) reduce your cravings. (Also, don't eat rice, noodles or bread for breakfast). Try a vegetable omelet or yogurt. For snacks eat a piece of fruit instead of UFO's all the time. (UFOs? Unidentified Fried Objects). Stay away from sweetened milked tea and coffee and stay away from soft drinks unless they are diet soft drinks. Did you know that drinking one coke is the equivalent of eating 8 teaspoons of raw sugar?!? :o

wondercat

Post by wondercat » Wed, 09 Mar 2011 11:50 pm

Is it?! That's terrible! I did not eat rice but noodles and breads. So far I had already lost 10kgs. And it seems like I had already reached the limit! Oh man!