Singapore Expats

Easy weight loss - need advice

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 5:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:tic...toc...tic...toc...

I'm just waiting.....

:lol:

Although it seems that some people will do morning exercise, some others are okay with exercise after office hour. But does it really impact your program?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 8:21 pm

If you are directing your question at me, yes it can. If you have been doing a regular exercise program then it's okay to continue but only at a maintenance or less intensity.

Any more and you could trigger hunger cravings. When that happens, we all know what happens. The diet only has one taking in the neighbourhood of 1200 calories/day as I have given it. When the body needs 1800 (female) to 2300(male)/day at rest. You cannot push the envelope too far without causing adverse affects like ketosis, cravings or insufficient stamina to go the distance. This could cause accidents. This program is not for those with only 6-10kg to lose, but for those with say 15kg up to the skies are the limit. I know two people who lost 88kg over a 12 month period on this diet but tweaked specifically for them based on their gender, age, starting weight and the results of two blood tests. Weights of foods are modified so that one is only getting ~800 calories/day but you don't feel hunger or cravings if it is done correctly. You have to eat 3 meals per day and can also have up to 3 snacks a day as well as long as the snacks are of approved food sources. Due to my age, my program was tweaked to prevent me from losing too fast. I lost 1.1kg/wk over a 22 week period. Others, in their 30s & 40 lose upwards of 1.5~1.8kg week with no adverse affects. In fact, as can be seen from my earlier thread, the medical gains from my weight loss were incredible.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ipporek

Post by ipporek » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 11:50 pm

Wow. Lost 88kg??? That's like the weight of... more than me!

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 6:32 pm

I mean, some articles mention that it's better to do exercise in the morning since the body will burn fat faster. According to those articles, during 8-hour sleep, our body burns a lot of calories. And in the morning, if we exercise, the metabolism will elevate for hours. I read it from here and here.

I have to make a new strategy since I suspect it will rain for the whole week in Singapore :???:

veralam06

Post by veralam06 » Thu, 19 Jul 2012 4:06 pm

I am curently 74kg at 1.65m height.
I know the reason how I out on weight and I also know the correct way to lose weight. Whats stopping me is that I am an emotional eater, I eat when I am stressed!!! I hate myself for being this way.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 19 Jul 2012 4:20 pm

veralam06 wrote:I am curently 74kg at 1.65m height.
I know the reason how I out on weight and I also know the correct way to lose weight. Whats stopping me is that I am an emotional eater, I eat when I am stressed!!! I hate myself for being this way.
I know it is not easy being a compulsive eater. But it is all about habituation. You should force yourself to rely on other methods to deal with stress to wean yourself out of comfort food.

Whatever new method you want to introduce as stress reliever in place of food, it must be:

1. More attractive and addictive than food
2. More easily within your reach than food
3. You don't feel guilty indulging in it

If you tend to eat to relieve stress in office, you should remove ALL of those comfort food and replace with fruits and nuts (nuts must be unflavoured and healthy - they can be pretty tasty). Or have something cute and cathartic like stress ball (I can see my colleague always having hers in her hand as she talks on her phone and reading emails).

At home, you have more freedom to be creative with your options of stress reliever to replace food. Like Nintendo Wii, sex, pets etc.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:23 pm

veralam06 wrote:I am curently 74kg at 1.65m height.
Well, I love to eat, especially noodles and UFO(s). But I don't like my high blood pressure condition. Not all pain is gain, but some things must be changed.

Consider that as a new challenge :mrgreen:

Shoops_1

Post by Shoops_1 » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 1:55 pm

I have been doing some research before I start my nutrition degree and here are some interesting facts.

1) fructose which is used in sooooo many foods is metabolised in the liver as fat!!! However pure glucose is metabolized all over the body and only 1% is metabolised in the liver and stored as fat.
2) saturated fats and good cholesterol are an essential part of our body's as every cell in our body is made of 50% sat fat and cholesterol. The brain and nervous system is the highest concentration of cholesterol in the body. So would u really want to reduce the nutrients that supply those areas???
3) Pig farmers feed their pigs low fat milk to fatten them up because full cream milk keeps them too lean

The best thing to do is stop eating sugar. Make sure u check the ingredients list on all packaged food and only purchase if sugar is not included on the packet. Sugar is in everything these days and mainly the carbohydrate products we purchase. We are being told to reduce our sat fat and cholesterol intake and increase our carb (complex) in take and the populations all over are still getting bigger.

MOD NOTE: post cleansed.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 2:19 pm

I think fruits are good for our body, except for certain fruits (like, for example, too much durian will, probably, make you go to hospital). I forget who said that we have to eat several types of fruits/vegetables for each day, but I think we still need to count the calories.

I wonder if Atkins diet is good at this :lol:

Shoops_1

Post by Shoops_1 » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 2:40 pm

Fruits are good for you if they are eaten whole. Not juiced. Fruit juice is pure sugar intake. Fructose's impact on the body is reduced when eaten with fibre eg the fruit as nature intended.

All the nutrients that are in veggies are essential to us however our bodies can not absorb these minerals without the presence of fat soluble vitamin A & D

The Atkins diet was an extreme I think. However had a very solid foundation.

However there are so many differing ideas out there about what we should and shouldn't do. Can be very confusing to know what to do. Everyone has their own idea of what is best and each of our bodies respond to things differently.

What I do believe is that extreme calorie restriction and excessive exercise is not the right way. It only puts the body under unnecessary stress.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 6:12 pm

my friend is actually helping me now to lose weight. the key is changing the eating habits and eating healthy instead of doing a diet. I have also started on no salt and no sugar food. I also have not been eating rice. Usually my food is a palm sized portion of fish or chicken and vegetables. I eat every three hours to increase my metabolism and I eat egg whites for breakfast. The weight loss is a bit slower but atleast i have now corrected my eating habits. :) im happy i lost 2 kgs already! yay.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 7:32 pm

Shoops_1 wrote:What I do believe is that extreme calorie restriction and excessive exercise is not the right way. It only puts the body under unnecessary stress.
Not all people can endure that. I know some people who can survive with extreme calorie restriction and not-too-excessive-but-kinda-good exercise. They lost a lot of weight and they never said that they had that "stress" :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 9:23 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
Shoops_1 wrote:What I do believe is that extreme calorie restriction and excessive exercise is not the right way. It only puts the body under unnecessary stress.
Not all people can endure that. I know some people who can survive with extreme calorie restriction and not-too-excessive-but-kinda-good exercise. They lost a lot of weight and they never said that they had that "stress" :D
They wouldn't know that they were under stress. It's not a conscious thing, but the body can rebel. It's just like reaching "starvation mode" that I mentioned. That is putting the body into stress as it is frantically saving EVERYTHING you put into your gob as fat even though it's not even enough to propel the body at equilibrium.

Eating fruit or fruit or bread or other carbs for breakfast causes insulin spikes. Insulin spikes are stresses on the body as well. Anything that is detrimental to the wellbeing of the body is stress causing.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 2:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They wouldn't know that they were under stress. It's not a conscious thing, but the body can rebel. It's just like reaching "starvation mode" that I mentioned. That is putting the body into stress as it is frantically saving EVERYTHING you put into your gob as fat even though it's not even enough to propel the body at equilibrium.

Eating fruit or fruit or bread or other carbs for breakfast causes insulin spikes. Insulin spikes are stresses on the body as well. Anything that is detrimental to the wellbeing of the body is stress causing.
Oh, that kind of stress. Well, they are pretty strict on their own diet plan, which is a good thing. If I'm not mistaken, they eat boiled egg and soya milk without sugar for breakfast. I think it's pretty good to avoid insulin spikes.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 3:15 pm

My breakfast of choice is a single egg (70+gram AAA egg) vegetable omelet (onion, capsicum, tomato & mushroom), 1" thick ring of a large papaya (after eating my omelet) and a cup of black English Breakfast Tea (without cream/milk or sugar/sweetener). Because it's a carb free breakfast, I don't get the 9:30~10:00am munchies and normally can work through till lunchtime with nary a hunger pang. (I eat breakfast at 06:00 in the morning).

No salt on the omelet but I do use some other spices like ground black pepper and paprika and a few more.