Singapore Expats Forum

EP rejected.appeal to be filled got a newoffer from other co

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
chiztalk

EP rejected.appeal to be filled got a newoffer from other co

Postby chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 1:57 pm

Hi All,

I just got rejected from an EP application. Salary is 3300 and for an Asset and Inventory Controller for a new company in Singapore.

Acutally the company is just new in Singapore because they had just recently bought an existing company in Singapore.

I am not sure of the reason why my EP was rejected since the salary is around 3300sgd, and I had more than 4 years of experience in the same field. All of which are from MNC company. The company is in oil and gas industry and I'm quite sure that they have no problems with regards to the paid up capital since the company is very big. In terms of my educational background, I belong to the registered universities for EP and my bachelor's degree is very relevant with my work.

I was just rejected yesterday. The application was filed around 2pm and I got rejected even before 3pm. Was this possible?

Anyhow, my company will be doing an appeal but maybe not in a couple of days as they still have to discuss this issue with the headquarters since this is also the first time they encountered such. I am not sure why I had been rejected but my friends are telling me that it could be because that my company is new in Singapore. Actually, I am the first person to be hired with their new name since they had been just been acquired last October 2010.

Another question that I have is that, recently, I had also been offered with another company although the salary is lower than the first one. The second company offered me around 2800sgd.

I was wondering if there would be any problems with regards to my EP application with my new company since I had just been rejected with the new company a couple of days? The new company is very big, an MNC and an established company as well in Singapore.

And also, worse case scenario, but hopefully not, if I will be again rejected for the second time with the new company application, can the first company still appeal for my EP?

Thanks!

Please help me. My friends really don't know what to do because they haven't encountered such. I had read alot of blogs and forums but I couldn't fine one which is related to my concern.
Last edited by chiztalk on Thu, 02 Dec 2010 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chiztalk

Postby chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 2:08 pm

please help me. as i need to make a decision within the next 2 days if i should be getting the offer made by the second company.

i am clueless. i am only on social visit pass and this will expire on december 19.

thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 2:09 pm

The problem might not be yours. The problem might be that the MOM thinks that there are sufficient people with your level of education & experience already here as citizens & PRs. If that is the case, you are wasting your time. However, there are a number of people who have been rejected outright like this, but on appeal they have successfully overturned the rejection. (provided the HR or GM goes to the appeal with their ammunition all lined up and written out) It might be a ploy to make employers show just how much they really WANT the foreign employee. e.g., the foreigner actually has something special besides the overhyped garbage they usually write in their CV.

chiztalk

Postby chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 2:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The problem might not be yours. The problem might be that the MOM thinks that there are sufficient people with your level of education & experience already here as citizens & PRs. If that is the case, you are wasting your time. However, there are a number of people who have been rejected outright like this, but on appeal they have successfully overturned the rejection. (provided the HR or GM goes to the appeal with their ammunition all lined up and written out) It might be a ploy to make employers show just how much they really WANT the foreign employee. e.g., the foreigner actually has something special besides the overhyped garbage they usually write in their CV.

Thank you for your reply.
So you are suggesting that I disregard the second offer from the other company and wait for the result of the appeal which will be filled next week?

I have another company who's giving me an offer. What are my chances of getting approved with this other company if I had been rejected just yesterday? The other company will be applying for my EP early next week as well.

The other concern I have is that I am still 23. At this point, is age also a factor?

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 2:25 pm

chiztalk wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:The problem might not be yours. The problem might be that the MOM thinks that there are sufficient people with your level of education & experience already here as citizens & PRs. If that is the case, you are wasting your time. However, there are a number of people who have been rejected outright like this, but on appeal they have successfully overturned the rejection. (provided the HR or GM goes to the appeal with their ammunition all lined up and written out) It might be a ploy to make employers show just how much they really WANT the foreign employee. e.g., the foreigner actually has something special besides the overhyped garbage they usually write in their CV.

So you are suggesting that I disregard the second offer from the other company and wait for the result of the appeal which will be filled next week?

I have another company who's giving me an offer. What are my chances of getting approved with this other company if I had been rejected just yesterday? The other company will be applying for my EP early next week as well.

The other concern I have is that I am still 23. At this point, is age also a factor?

May be there are many people with degree similar to yours in Singapore?

chiztalk

Postby chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 2:31 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
chiztalk wrote:

Actually, I had a couple of friends with the same degree as mine who were able to secure a job and their passes approved.

Anyhow, the question that i really have is this -

since I had been offered a new job from a different company, I would like to know that if I accepted their offer and they apply me the pass, if just in case but hopefully not, the pass from the other company had been rejected, would the first company who applied me for a pass can still appeal for their application?

Or should i just reject the other company and wait for the appeal results?

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 2:35 pm

chiztalk wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:
chiztalk wrote:

Actually, I had a couple of friends with the same degree as mine who were able to secure a job and their passes approved.

Anyhow, the question that i really have is this -

since I had been offered a new job from a different company, I would like to know that if I accepted their offer and they apply me the pass, if just in case but hopefully not, the pass from the other company had been rejected, would the first company who applied me for a pass can still appeal for their application?

Or should i just reject the other company and wait for the appeal results?

Logically the appeal for the first rejection and also the new application cannot go on in parallel.

Reason is when the first employer is appealing for the EP it means that you are interested to join him and that is why he is appealing.

chiztalk

Postby chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 2:40 pm

the first company is really very slow. it took them 3wks to apply me for a pass. because they need to have all sorts of EP online access. and it took them around 3days to fill up all the forms. so in my opinion, i think that the appeal would not be made not until the later part of next week. whereas, the second company could be filing the new application pass on Monday or Tuesday. Results will be up then maybe same day or Wednesday, right?

if i got rejected with the second application pass, would the first company still appeal for their previous application even if i had another pass which had been rejected?

or what do you suggest that i do? because really i am very much torn and confused as to what step i'll be having next. i am not sure if i would need to send new sets of applications.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 3:06 pm

chiztalk wrote:the first company is really very slow. it took them 3wks to apply me for a pass. because they need to have all sorts of EP online access. and it took them around 3days to fill up all the forms. so in my opinion, i think that the appeal would not be made not until the later part of next week. whereas, the second company could be filing the new application pass on Monday or Tuesday. Results will be up then maybe same day or Wednesday, right?

if i got rejected with the second application pass, would the first company still appeal for their previous application even if i had another pass which had been rejected?

or what do you suggest that i do? because really i am very much torn and confused as to what step i'll be having next. i am not sure if i would need to send new sets of applications.

From what I've read you can't have 2 applications running concurrently, so if you make an appeal that will mean your first application is still open therefore the second company can't raise their request until the first one is dealt with.

As you're technically the first person to be employed by the first company then they might have been rejected because there needs to be a certain number of Singaporeans working for the company before they are allowed a foreigner, I've read other posts that allude to this in this forum.

Company one sound very disorganised and slow, the question to ask yourself is whether this is the sort of company you want to work for? If they're managing to screw an EP application then what else would they screw up if you did manage to get approved and work for them, would they pay you on time? Personally I would tell them not to appeal and let company 2 raise a new EP application and hope that as they're a MNC that they will be better organised and have a better track record with MOM

chiztalk

Postby chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 3:13 pm

JayCee wrote:
chiztalk wrote:the first company is really very slow. it took them 3wks to apply me for a pass. because they need to have all sorts of EP online access. and it took them around 3days to fill up all the forms. so in my opinion, i think that the appeal would not be made not until the later part of next week. whereas, the second company could be filing the new application pass on Monday or Tuesday. Results will be up then maybe same day or Wednesday, right?

From what I've read you can't have 2 applications running concurrently, so if you make an appeal that will mean your first application is still open therefore the second company can't raise their request until the first one is dealt with.

As you're technically the first person to be employed by the first company then they might have been rejected because there needs to be a certain number of Singaporeans working for the company before they are allowed a foreigner, I've read other posts that allude to this in this forum.

Company one sound very disorganised and slow, the question to ask yourself is whether this is the sort of company you want to work for? If they're managing to screw an EP application then what else would they screw up if you did manage to get approved and work for them, would they pay you on time? Personally I would tell them not to appeal and let company 2 raise a new EP application and hope that as they're a MNC that they will be better organised and have a better track record with MOM

thanks JC. actually company 1 is only slow because this would be their first time having business in Singapore but with their other offices, they are quite ok. and also, i really think that the reason why my pass had been rejected was due to some misinput in filling up the forms since this is their first time doing that.

But I think I would go with your suggestion with company 2 since I am under a headhunter with company 2 and I read a post that says 90% of the appeals got rejected.

chiztalk

Postby chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 3:17 pm

and also i don't think it would happen both at the same time. since i think company 2 would apply me first before company 1 will file me their appeal.

another question, logically, say for example, but hopefully not, if company 2 will apply me for a new pass application and i got rejected again this coming week. then company 1 can apply me again for a new pass right? since the last application was with another company? do i make sense?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 3:25 pm

chiztalk wrote:and also i don't think it would happen both at the same time. since i think company 2 would apply me first before company 1 will file me their appeal.

another question, logically, say for example, but hopefully not, if company 2 will apply me for a new pass application and i got rejected again this coming week. then company 1 can apply me again for a new pass right? since the last application was with another company? do i make sense?

Understood that company 1 would only file an appeal after company 2 have their EP application rejected, however how likely do you think company 1 are going to be to file an appeal for you when they know you've applied for another job with another company? I would try and get them to file the appeal first before company 2 come back with an offer and file their EP application if you still want to pursue the offer from company 1.

I don't understand your question, what do you mean by company 1 can apply for a new pass? I thought they were going to make an appeal, so how does a new pass come into this?

Personally I would forget about company 1, the likelihood of you getting a successful appeal is limited but with company 2 you start afresh and IMO have a better chance

chiztalk

Postby chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 3:30 pm

JayCee wrote:
chiztalk wrote:and also i don't think it would happen both at the same time. since i think company 2 would apply me first before company 1 will file me their appeal.

Understood that company 1 would only file an appeal after company 2 have their EP application rejected, however how likely do you think company 1 are going to be to file an appeal for you when they know you've applied for another job with another company?

I don't understand your question, what do you mean by company 1 can apply for a new pass? I thought they were going to make an appeal, so how does a new pass come into this?

company 1 will likely file the appeal later part of next week because they are really very slow. i haven't disclosed with company 1 that i had another offer with company 2. i am planning only to tell them when i am already decided. and the new application from company 2 will be likely filed earlier part of next week. and the result for online EP application is just 1day. So technically, the results will be up before the end of next week right? if i will be rejected but hopefully not, the last application will be with company 2 right? and if i will tell company 1 that i had been rejected with company 2, will they be able to file me another application pass? or even appeal the first application?

do i make sense?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Postby JayCee » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 3:37 pm

chiztalk wrote:
JayCee wrote:

Understood that company 1 would only file an appeal after company 2 have their EP application rejected, however how likely do you think company 1 are going to be to file an appeal for you when they know you've applied for another job with another company?

company 1 will likely file the appeal later part of next week because they are really very slow. i haven't disclosed with company 1 that i had another offer with company 2. i am planning only to tell them when i am already decided. and the new application from company 2 will be likely filed earlier part of next week. and the result for online EP application is just 1day. So technically, the results will be up before the end of next week right? if i will be rejected but hopefully not, the last application will be with company 2 right? and if i will tell company 1 that i had been rejected with company 2, will they be able to file me another application pass? or even appeal the first application?

do i make sense?

Technically I don't know whether company 1 will or they won't be able to file another application or appeal, however I question whether they will be willing to do it once they find out that you applied for a job with another company and went so far as putting in a new EP for it. A lot of companies would cut you loose once they find out you've been shopping around for something better after they went to the effort of applying for an EP for you, don't underestimate how vindictive people can be.

Now I don't know if this company would do that but it's not a risk I'd want to take myself. Saying that though, the chances of you getting that job with company 1 now are minimal anyway so it probably won't make much difference

chiztalk

Postby chiztalk » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 3:40 pm

JayCee wrote:
chiztalk wrote:
JayCee wrote:

do i make sense?

Technically I don't know whether company 1 will or they won't be able to file another application or appeal, however I question whether they will be willing to do it once they find out that you applied for a job with another company and went so far as putting in a new EP for it. A lot of companies would cut you loose once they find out you've been shopping around for something better after they went to the effort of applying for an EP for you, don't underestimate how vindictive people can be.

Now I don't know if this company would do that but it's not a risk I'd want to take myself. Saying that though, the chances of you getting that job with company 1 now are minimal anyway so it probably won't make much difference

so you are saying that i really should go for company 2? since EP appeals are 90% rejected?

Thank you soo much for your help