Singapore Expats Forum

East coast chill out bars, pubs and dining

Share your favourite eating haunts!
nburge
Regular
Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue, 30 Nov 2010

East coast chill out bars, pubs and dining

Postby nburge » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 7:24 am

I'm planning to move to the East Coast with my wife early next year. Looking strongly at Cote D'Azur as a condo at the moment. In the UK there are quite a lot of local pubs and bars that we frequent, for relatively inexpensive food and a few drinks in the evening after a hard day at work. From google searches and on here I can see Scruffy Murphy's on the beach, but it looks more like a restaurant than a pub from their website. Are there many local bars in that area to sit down, grab a cold beer and a snack for dinner?

They don't necessarily need to be fancy places, just somewhere cosy. Local haunts would be cool too.

Also - what are the prices in the east coast eating/drinking establishments like? Price of a pint of tiger in Scruffys? I like to eat out locally quite often, and it will really help me work out budgets...

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 11:57 am

Scruffy's is bar which does food but I've heard it's closing down soon as they are redeveloping that whole area. Further up the ECP by the 360 cable wakeboarding place there's a new Harry's but it's expensive.

I stay just up the road at Siglap where you have a far bigger choice of eating places and of course my local bar, The Dog and Bone which is about as close as you'll get to a local haunt.

nburge
Regular
Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue, 30 Nov 2010

Postby nburge » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 4:39 pm

Thanks, I also looked at places near there (Mandarin gdns) online, so will have to get out to Singapore and decide location when on the ground. From google maps it looks as though the siglap is about 2kms from The Cote D'Azur, right? Seems a long way to have to stroll for a cheeky pint! What are the prices like in the dog and bone?

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 4:53 pm

Definitely not walking distance to Siglap from Cote D'Azur but to be honest there aren't any bars within staggering distance. Mandarin Gardens is within walking distance to Siglap.

Prices at the Dog n Bone range from $11 for a Stella to $40 for a bottle of wine

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: East coast chill out bars, pubs and dining

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 5:07 pm

nburge wrote:I'm planning to move to the East Coast with my wife early next year. Looking strongly at Cote D'Azur as a condo at the moment. In the UK there are quite a lot of local pubs and bars that we frequent, for relatively inexpensive food and a few drinks in the evening after a hard day at work. From google searches and on here I can see Scruffy Murphy's on the beach, but it looks more like a restaurant than a pub from their website. Are there many local bars in that area to sit down, grab a cold beer and a snack for dinner?

They don't necessarily need to be fancy places, just somewhere cosy. Local haunts would be cool too.

Also - what are the prices in the east coast eating/drinking establishments like? Price of a pint of tiger in Scruffys? I like to eat out locally quite often, and it will really help me work out budgets...



Myras Beach Club.

Car Park F3 in East Coast Park.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 5:10 pm

Saint wrote:Scruffy's is bar which does food but I've heard it's closing down soon as they are redeveloping that whole area. Further up the ECP by the 360 cable wakeboarding place there's a new Harry's but it's expensive.

I stay just up the road at Siglap where you have a far bigger choice of eating places and of course my local bar, The Dog and Bone which is about as close as you'll get to a local haunt.


Do you know exactly when it will be closing down?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Re: East coast chill out bars, pubs and dining

Postby Saint » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 5:16 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Myras Beach Club.

Car Park F3 in East Coast Park.


Not exactly walking distance from Marine Parade

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Wed, 01 Dec 2010 5:34 pm

Barnsley wrote:
Do you know exactly when it will be closing down?


Not sure exactly, was chatting with the owner of the Beach Hut and he told me and he's open a new bar up by the Sea Sport Centre

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Re: East coast chill out bars, pubs and dining

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 1:17 pm

Saint wrote:
Barnsley wrote:
Myras Beach Club.

Car Park F3 in East Coast Park.


Not exactly walking distance from Marine Parade


OK , only ever gone there in a Cab , it does seem quite remote!!
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Postby BigSis » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 12:48 pm

There was an article in the newspaper about them wanting to develop the Marine Cove area (where Scruffy's is) but at the time there was a bit of uncertainty about what was going to happen and I'm not sure if they've sorted it out yet.

The national parks were buying it back off whoever owns it and wanted to develop it to improve beach access or something..........I don't know what they think the problem with beach access is at the moment - it doesn't seem to be a problem as far as I can see......but that's what it said.

There are a lot of businesses there which could potentially be affected by all this - if I was the new owner of the BFD I wouldn't be too pleased as it has only just been refurbished.

However, the article I read mentioned March or April as the time when the businesses will find out what is happening.


As for pubs on the East Coast - there aren't really that many around the Cote D'Azure (or not within walking distance). There are a few hawker centres and things where you can get a cheap beer or there are a few places on East Coast Rd. There's also Mel's Place on East Coast Rd/Still Rd corner which is quite nice to sit out at (it's one of the few bars around with a beer garden) and at Siglap there's the Dog and Bone as mentioned or my new favourite, the Sidewalk Tavern, or there's the grotty hawker centre by the Siglap Centre (my other favourite :) ) or the posher hawker near Fairprice and there are a couple of other bars worth checking out such as the Wine on Nine (or some such name) and there's the Fern Loft (which I think is still a backpacker place but with a bar downstairs) and there's a new one called Next Door or something which is expensive (well, really they're all quite expensive apart from the Hawkers, but that new one was charging about $5 more for the same imported ciders and beers as they sell up the road at the Sidewalk).

nburge
Regular
Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue, 30 Nov 2010

Postby nburge » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks a lot, I don't need anywhere too fancy so it sounds like the hawker centres might be a good shout, otherwise I'm looking at a short taxi ride to the siglap centre.

User avatar
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Postby BigSis » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 8:07 am

nburge wrote:Thanks a lot, I don't need anywhere too fancy so it sounds like the hawker centres might be a good shout, otherwise I'm looking at a short taxi ride to the siglap centre.


Probably a wise move - a bottle of Tiger beer or Carlsberg at my local hawker is $5.50 and no tax, whereas in most bars around the East Coast a pint will set you back $11-12 and then you usually have to pay GST and service charge on top of that which all adds up (Scruffy Murphys include it in the price though which I prefer)

nburge
Regular
Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue, 30 Nov 2010

Postby nburge » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 8:22 am

Thanks. When I visited friends there we went to a night market for food - is that what you mean by a hawker centre? Are they ok to just sit and have a few beers in, or is the atmosphere geared toward eating?

User avatar
BigSis
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat, 17 Apr 2010

Postby BigSis » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 2:31 pm

Yes, that sounds like you went to a hawker centre. You can sit there all night and drink if you like although popular hawker centres (like the one on the East Coast Park) get very busy especially at weekends so it's best to get there early and be prepared to share your table if there are only a couple of you and people are looking for a seat.

nburge
Regular
Regular
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue, 30 Nov 2010

Postby nburge » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 6:07 pm

Thanks.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Wine & Dine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests