Singapore Expats Forum

Mechanic Jobs in Singapore?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Racheew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 29 Nov 2010
Location: Australia

Mechanic Jobs in Singapore?

Postby Racheew » Mon, 29 Nov 2010 1:47 pm

Hi,

I am relocating from Sydney to Singapore for work in about one years time.

My husband is 28 years old, a mechanic by trade and will be coming with me. I was wondering if there were many jobs for a mechanic in Singapore? From researching, they do not appear to be paid well? Is it worthwhile? Anyone has experience in the matter?

Any suggestions what else he may look into - or at least where we can look for work for him?

It's all come as a rather sudden decision, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Rachel

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Nov 2010 2:19 pm

Does he have any degree or at least a mechanical diploma? If not, and he's a tradesman, he will have a rather difficult time. You are right in the fact that a "mechanic" is not a very well paid position here. Most 'tradesmen' aren't given the salaries that they should be able to command, but there is no Union to speak of here to support them. Is he an automotive mechanic or factory based mechanic? If automotive he should be able to secure something using a Letter of Consent, but trying to get a work pass in his own right will be rather difficult I would imagine.

Racheew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 29 Nov 2010
Location: Australia

Postby Racheew » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 6:00 am

He does,

He has completed his mechanics degree and is a foreman in his workshop - as an automotive mechanic.

But thanks for the information. It's good to know things like unions and salaries etc.

I think, as I am moving over for work, there may be a way he will be able to secure a visa or something similar, but we are looking into that at the moment.

Thanks!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 7:06 am

Racheew wrote:He does,

He has completed his mechanics degree and is a foreman in his workshop - as an automotive mechanic.

But thanks for the information. It's good to know things like unions and salaries etc.

I think, as I am moving over for work, there may be a way he will be able to secure a visa or something similar, but we are looking into that at the moment.

Thanks!


If you are getting an employment pass (EP) he will be able to get a dependents pass (DP). A DP can apply for a letter of consent (LOC) to work at any company. However, certain jobs will not be approved. What no one on this board knows is whether an auto mechanic will be approved.

Racheew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 29 Nov 2010
Location: Australia

Postby Racheew » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:02 am

Thanks for all the information, it has been really helpful.

Hopefully we can work something out for him!!

lisa25
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 20 Dec 2010
Contact:

Postby lisa25 » Mon, 20 Dec 2010 5:24 pm

thanks for sharing information with u.keep it up

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Dec 2010 5:32 pm

lisa25 wrote:thanks for sharing information with u.keep it up


WOW! lisa25, You registered today, all the way from Chandigarh, India, JUST so you could post that one line? tsk, tsk, tsk. [-X

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 6:37 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:If you are getting an employment pass (EP) he will be able to get a dependents pass (DP). A DP can apply for a letter of consent (LOC) to work at any company. However, certain jobs will not be approved. What no one on this board knows is whether an auto mechanic will be approved.


Motor mechanics pay is pretty low, unless you are suitably qualified to step into the big guys - a-la, BMW, Merc, Honda etc. etc. and before anything, I have met a few expat engineers (not technicans / mechanics :) ) working in Ka Motors, Performance motors, and Stuttgart ..

User avatar
boffenl
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 565
Joined: Wed, 20 Dec 2006
Location: Clementi all the way baby!

Postby boffenl » Tue, 28 Dec 2010 10:41 pm

My husband is thinking of opening an Expat garage. When you have PM capability, PM me your details. There might be work available for him setting up a new shop!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 6:49 am

ecureilx wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:If you are getting an employment pass (EP) he will be able to get a dependents pass (DP). A DP can apply for a letter of consent (LOC) to work at any company. However, certain jobs will not be approved. What no one on this board knows is whether an auto mechanic will be approved.


Motor mechanics pay is pretty low, unless you are suitably qualified to step into the big guys - a-la, BMW, Merc, Honda etc. etc. and before anything, I have met a few expat engineers (not technicans / mechanics :) ) working in Ka Motors, Performance motors, and Stuttgart ..


How in the hell did honda get into that list! :???: :roll:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:23 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How in the hell did honda get into that list! :???: :roll:


Because Kah Motors is much larger than representing a Japanese Car :D :D

Racheew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 29 Nov 2010
Location: Australia

Postby Racheew » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 7:56 am

Hi,
Thanks everyone! Bit of encouragement has made me feel better about the move.

I didn't realise there were more posts, as I haven't been receiving the emails!

Thanks for the offer, I will PM you when I have the ability, if for anything but a bit of information etc. I appreciate that so much.

Thanks all, especially about possible cars to work on. He currently works on Audi's, VW's and Jags, but has had all his training in a private workshop, so can do pretty much any car.

Thanks again all, and a Happy New Year!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 9:49 am

Just A suggestion: try to get him to get a C&G or some similiar paperwork, to be on the Safe side ..

Racheew
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon, 29 Nov 2010
Location: Australia

Postby Racheew » Fri, 31 Dec 2010 9:55 am

ecureilx wrote:Just A suggestion: try to get him to get a C&G or some similiar paperwork, to be on the Safe side ..



Thank you, I will look into that.

s_h19886
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 17 Jul 2011

F.A.O.

Postby s_h19886 » Mon, 18 Jul 2011 12:34 am

Hi Rachel -

I seem to be unable to private message you.
I am looking at relocating to Singapore, I am here at the moment until 26th July and was wondering if we could talk more?
Please can you PM me if this is ok!?!?
Many thanks

Steph


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests