Singapore Expats

Get pregnant with employment pass?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Post Reply
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 7:35 pm

Get pregnant with employment pass?

Post by blacksheep » Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:24 pm

May I ask if it is allowed to get pregnant and deliver a child under employment pass (not domestic helper work permit)?

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Posts: 3544
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:31 am
Answers: 4
Location: TIMBUKTU

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 02 Dec 2010 7:46 am

Yes you are allowed. You have 42 days to register child citizenship at your foreign embassy in Singapore. Then on you need to apply for LTSVP/DP for your child thru ICA . ... fault.aspx

Read this extract

Foreign nationals can easily apply for foreign citizenship for their newborn at their Embassy in Singapore.

Many foreign women who do not live in Singapore choose to deliver their babies there. The Singapore Immigration office has a well-established policy for these visitors. If you want to visit for longer than a social visa permits (US citizens get 30 days) you will have get an extended visa which may require you have a sponsor. Contact the immigration office in Singapore for more information.

Once your baby is born in Singapore, his/her birth must be registered with the Registry of Births and Deaths at Singapore Immigration (see Birth Registration Procedure in Singapore). Once you register, you can then obtain a Singapore birth certificate. This does NOT mean your child has Singapore citizenship. Only children of Singapore citizens can obtain Singaporean citizenship. This Singapore birth certificate is required to obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad from the US Embassy which is equivalent to a US birth certificate. You can apply for both the Report of Birth Abroad and at the same time a social security number and passport (see Consular Report of Birth in Singapore). Your child will obtain a certificate and a passport at the US Embassy. The social security number will be mailed to your address in the US.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
Posts: 665
Joined: Mon, 30 May 2005 8:20 pm

Post by k1w1 » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 1:00 pm

You can deliver a child in Singapore on an EP, but be aware that you are not entitled to normal maternity benefits unless your child will be a Singaporean (which is not possible unless one of his/her parents are Singaporean).

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest