Singapore Expats

cutting in line/ queue jumping in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 6:45 am

aargon wrote: People are rude everywhere. I just find Singaporeans irritatingly rude. Its almost like their ignorant of their behaviour. The young, the old, the educated, uneducated, the rich, the poor - its pretty much everyone.
They are largely ignorant. This is what many Westerners fail to understand. Not that this understanding helps too much.
Look at our new and probably already gone friend - he is utterly convinced that the service quality is here very good everywhere and all is so perfect thanks to long working hours and extreme working efficiency of the local population. Courtesy is much more subtle.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 6:48 am

ev-disinfection wrote:I am a local, born, bred and studied here in SG... so that when the next hurricane baba blows through, you can say that you HAVE mixed with the locals....lol
You are definitely not an average Joe :)

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 10:45 am

ev-disinfection wrote: how should i explain about the baggage.... lol
I agree with you about the baggage. In my experience here, I haven't met one (not one) expat who is attached to a Singaporean woman and all have the same story - arrived here, caught the fever, went out with a few local girls and eventually got fed up with all their bull***t and gave up on them. All my friends are with women from China, Japan, Indonesia etc... and all are happy without the constant demands for LV bags :roll:

I'm sure there are great Singapore girls, but the ones who seem to go for foreigners tend to be a smaller proportion

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 11:17 am

JayCee wrote:all are happy without the constant demands for LV bags :roll:

I'm sure there are great Singapore girls
The great ones buy our own LV bags :cool: :lol:

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 12:11 pm

x9200 wrote: They are largely ignorant. This is what many Westerners fail to understand. Not that this understanding helps too much.
Look at our new and probably already gone friend - he is utterly convinced that the service quality is here very good everywhere and all is so perfect thanks to long working hours and extreme working efficiency of the local population. Courtesy is much more subtle.
LOL so true, I'm still trying to understand his point of view... I guess I was giving too much benefit of the doubt re: the ignorance. I thought if I pointed out his argument was flawed he might explain it better. No dice...

Here's one thing I don't get about Singaporean (women in particular): what's so great about a designer handbag if everyone has one? Doesn't the status symbol lose its status from oversaturation in the market?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 12:26 pm

poodlek wrote:Here's one thing I don't get about Singaporean (women in particular): what's so great about a designer handbag if everyone has one? Doesn't the status symbol lose its status from oversaturation in the market?
Especially when half the LV bags you see on the street are fakes anyway. Which is why LV is considered low-end for the truly 'designer' segment of the population.
Last edited by Wind In My Hair on Wed, 05 Jan 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 12:26 pm

poodlek wrote:
x9200 wrote:Here's one thing I don't get about Singaporean (women in particular): what's so great about a designer handbag if everyone has one? Doesn't the status symbol lose its status from oversaturation in the market?
Just like iphone/ipad/mac users who don't make full use of the device's features? :P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 12:55 pm

Thank you very much for this LV sub-thread. I was wondering for the last few years what the hell is it that half of the women here (esp. in a vicinity of the airports) are using luggage with some kind of strange pattern. Now I googled this one out and I am very proud to be that ignorant.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 4:11 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
JayCee wrote:all are happy without the constant demands for LV bags :roll:

I'm sure there are great Singapore girls
The great ones buy our own LV bags :cool: :lol:
Quite right, my missus buys are her own gear. Even if I tried I expect I'd get the wrong thing, from the wrong place (i.e. not the bargain it might have been had she bought it).

I also agree re: LV, it is a thing that mystifies me. Why spend $2k on a handbag when, certainly for me, my immediate presumption if I see one is that odds on it is a $20 fake. Presumably the possible pretence of wealth is worth more than the fact that the owner makes themselves look like a fool.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 4:53 pm

JR8 wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote:Technical job, no training / school here that teaches it, huge marketing budget.....
hmmmm.... project management for some new expensive product??

Hey Poodlek,
Wanna have coffee at starbucks? I am a local, born, bred and studied here in SG... so that when the next hurricane baba blows through, you can say that you HAVE mixed with the locals....lol

JR8, many locals feel threatened by expats coming here to take away our jobs and girls, but my thinking is that expats are here to do the job that we do not have the talent for, be it the oil rigs / offshore jobs, corporate CEO or the people who are hired to clean Singapore up, and i would say that 70% of the girls that the expats fall in love and settle down with, have a lot of baggage already... lol

I love SG, cause it works but is not perfect... but then ...where is?
Hahaha :)
Yeah I get that locals feel threatened by FT, but then are they not just denying reality? Sour grapes? It reminds me of the popular masses who begrudge bankers who work in the City of London earning 'millions'. So shallow, on so many levels, they expect free bank accounts, credit cards, totally flexible mortgages but then detest the guys at the top who facilitate all of this for them.

Wah careful what you say about local girls that fall in love with expats, my missus has a wardrobe full of Kate Spade handbags that she'd happily lodge in your mouth for less ! :)
I dont think majority of folk in the UK begrudges anybody making "millions" I think the problem in the UK at the minute is that all banks directly or indirectly took Billions of pounds of Govt money and as far as the popular masses can see they have done next to nothing constructive with it except pass it off as profit and thus pay what many believe are undeserved bonuses.

If they have done something useful with it, it should be quite straight forward to explain that shouldn't it?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 5:04 pm

JR8 wrote:Why spend $2k on a handbag when, certainly for me, my immediate presumption if I see one is that odds on it is a $20 fake.
Amateurs can't tell the difference :mrgreen:

Wannabes scrutinise the bag to see if it's the real deal :-k

Pros scrutinise the woman to see if she's the real deal :cool:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 5:15 pm

Barnsley wrote: If they have done something useful with it, it should be quite straight forward to explain that shouldn't it?
It is, they have used government money to restructure their balance sheets, as is required the government having committed them all to Basel II.

Of course it would be <sarcastic> most unlike UK politicians to inadvertently create a pig-sty of a situation, and then point the finger of blame at the victims of it, the banks.

p.s. WIMH.... bwahahaha!... 8-)

patsy_sg
Regular
Regular

Post by patsy_sg » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 5:26 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
JR8 wrote:Why spend $2k on a handbag when, certainly for me, my immediate presumption if I see one is that odds on it is a $20 fake.
Amateurs can't tell the difference :mrgreen:

Wannabes scrutinise the bag to see if it's the real deal :-k

Pros scrutinise the woman to see if she's the real deal :cool:
EXACTLY!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 6:05 pm

JR8 wrote:
Barnsley wrote: If they have done something useful with it, it should be quite straight forward to explain that shouldn't it?
It is, they have used government money to restructure their balance sheets, as is required the government having committed them all to Basel II.

Of course it would be <sarcastic> most unlike UK politicians to inadvertently create a pig-sty of a situation, and then point the finger of blame at the victims of it, the banks.

p.s. WIMH.... bwahahaha!... 8-)
There you go then, why dont they just get that message across then, or are they saying these things and its just not being reported?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 05 Jan 2011 6:51 pm

Because it is simpler to disdain people who you perceive 'earn more than you ever will', than understand balance sheet management and capital adequacy requirements?

Let's be honest here, the zeitgeist in the UK has been one of hating the successful for ever and a day, certainly since the 60's. Worse if the man on the street cannot himself understand precisely what very highly paid people do to earn it. 'Hedge fund people.... oh yeah, I hate em. Private equity... yeah hate em too, bastards'. Hence the pastiche of the City being filled with clue-less private school clowns all raking in millions for reclining all day on their chairs with their feet wagging on the desk.

It has got worse in recent years though. The whole economic crisis seems to brought on a kind of eco (read marxist) neo-marxism. Suddenly it is de rigeur that no one earns more than the 'court of public opinion' believes is fair.

RIP UK!