Singapore Expats

cutting in line/ queue jumping in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
aargon
Chatter
Chatter

cutting in line/ queue jumping in Singapore

Post by aargon » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:46 pm

Is it pretty common here for this to happen? I`ve had people blantly cut infront of me at the check out queue as well as in the car park. Not once, not twise, but at least three or four times in the last month. Just this evening, there was a long queue building at the vivo city carpark - for those of you that have been there, you`ll know its quite wide so cars can pull up beside you to turn left and right at the next exit. Well today, this guy that was behind me, pulled up to my right - I assumed he wanted to turn right at the next juncture, but rather than turning right, he just slowly pushed his way in front of me ??? i mean WTF????? same exact thing happen to me at the checkout counter at coldstorage- I`m waiting in line with my trolley and this guy with his basket blantly ignores the fact that I am waiting in line and pretends hes looking at the items at the checkout counter before pushing his way infront?? I mean like WTF???? this isnt the first time its happen either - :x

Being polite my response has always been "excuse me, but I`m waiting in line here?", would have rather had said " who the f#$%K do you think you are? you cheeky, rude little f#$%Ker? they dont teach you manners from where you`re from?" actually I dont know if they`re singporean or fresh off the boat mainlanders from China, eitherway, its just down right rude. :x :mad:

you give people here an inch, they take a mile.

ish... :roll:

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 10:50 pm

just to add the guy (must have been in his 60`s?) was driving a mercedes benze - and I`ve been told having a car like that (and at that age) is definitely a status thing - he must have thought he owned the road, that old fart.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:15 pm

yep, it's the norm here in singapore!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:17 pm

ditto.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 1:20 am

Welcome to Singapore. The queue jumpers were either Singaporeans or Foreigners trying to show the gahmen that they have acclimatized. :oops!: :shit:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

aargon
Chatter
Chatter

Post by aargon » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 8:56 am

after a good nights sleep - I`m now over it. :wave:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 9:00 am

aargon wrote:after a good nights sleep - I`m now over it. :wave:
wait till you get to the bus stop.
or grocery cashier.
or mall parking lot.
or hawker center.

you get the idea.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Welcome to Singapore. The queue jumpers were either Singaporeans or Foreigners trying to show the gahmen that they have acclimatized.
lolwut.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by EADG » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 4:08 pm

...and for taxis on the street
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ttujess

Post by ttujess » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 5:05 pm

Lol - I've gotten pretty good at messing with line cutters at the bus stop. I just let them think I'm going to let them cut in front of me, then as soon as the bus pulls up a strategically placed elbow or purse works every time. My little victories give me quite an adrenaline rush :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 6:35 pm

aargon wrote:after a good nights sleep - I`m now over it. :wave:
A shame, I was starting to enjoy that ;)

Here's an example of super-polite locals. I was in NTUC Toa Payoh MRT last year, basement level trying to get to the check outs. I had my basket and was only a metre or less from a free till, inching ahead, but rather stuck next to some guy with a trolley carrying a rucksack.

Then, wham bam! A woman appeared in front of me and put her basket down at the till. As that till and the next were back to back, and no one could have got past me, my thoughts were 'Where on earth did she just appear from!?'

Then it dawned on me. She must have been elsewhere, maybe in another queue, had seen the free till, and that it would take me a few seconds to reach it. She had then left the shop with her basket, gone through the public MRT underpass, and come back in through the exit in front of me!

So classy!

longstebe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by longstebe » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 4:09 pm

Please please keep them coming.
This madness makes me laugh. Some people just amaze me.

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 4:35 pm

Funny thread. Im just thinking about what would happen to some of these people if they acted the way that they do here in other countries. :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 5:13 pm

They do occasionally, especially in Australia where they drive like they do here and promptly get a Darwin Award without going to the NT. Usually get themselves wiped out by a road train. Deservedly too.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 6:00 pm

I could be here all night with some of the things I have experienced in the 2 and half years I've lived here. What with MRTs, the roads, Taxi queues, checkout queues, lifts and escalators - there's rudeness EVERYWHERE.

Just this weekend I was in Giant when a young girl barged me out of the way running to the check out. I shouted 'the word is EXCUSE ME PLEASE!' and she just said sorry as she ran off - some don't even say that.

When my baby was quite small, I had a stressful shopping trip to Marina Square on a rainy day so went to get the taxi home. Standing at the rear of the car I struggled to get my car seat off the stroller (as the driver sat keeping dry), he signalled to the girl in the queue behind to get in the car. As she stood next to me opening the door to get in I'm like 'what the hell are you doing' and she just said the driver asked her to get in - obviously an argument ensued but she still got in the car and drove off. Luckily I didn't have to wait long for another taxi and this driver did actually help me.

Surely common sense would prevail and if you saw somebody struggling in the rain you would offer to help, and even if a driver gestured you to get in you would know that this was wrong - or am I just too nice.

I have had similar situations like this happen many times before and I have had local women come to my defence and yell at drivers for not helping.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 6:06 pm

I have also been a human door stop to ungrateful people who don't say thank you and don't you just love it when you approach doors, people never look behind them after going through it and shut the door in your face while you stand there struggling to open a door in one hand while push your stroller through the door with the other - marvelous.

Once and an auntie literally clambered over my stroller and nearly kill herself in the process to get the one remaining seat left on the train, while her younger accomplice stood there mortified and helped me get on the train.