Work Permits for Expats

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply

Work Permits for Expats

Post by Confused » Mon, 08 Nov 2004 2:39 pm


I hope someone can help fix my confusion!

My boyfriend has been offered a position at a multinational in Singapore he is keen to take. I would like to move with him, and I am not sure how I go about getting a work permit.

Can I be sponsored by his company also to apply for a work permit?
Or do I have to go to Singapore & apply for a position & get it before I can get a work permit? I have seen on recruiting sites that you must have a permit to apply for most jobs.

I am 24 years old with a degree & 6 years work experience in Marketing. I would be very upset to move to a new country and not be able to get a good job.

Any suggestions or anyone in the same situation?

Thanks for any help! :D

Posts: 3
Joined: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 6:23 pm

Post by lookslikeimmovingtosing » Mon, 08 Nov 2004 6:45 pm

I'm in exactly the same position as your boyfriend. From what I can see if you are not married you are on your own. If you are married the you can get a permit under his if he is of high enough permit status. If you are degree qualified the process is easier if you need to do this on your own. Keep looking in this section and I'll try to pass on any information that I learn as it develops.


Post by ohmygod... » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:11 am

well..if he's coming over then i think u would prob have to get married else you would definitely need to get an employer before u can come over with him..

if you need more info...u can email me at

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests