Singapore Expats

2 years housing insurance/rental insurance for expats?

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
yingyingcarol

2 years housing insurance/rental insurance for expats?

Post by yingyingcarol » Sun, 14 Nov 2010 11:55 am

Hi!

Are there such plans said above?

Or anybody has a insurance advisor to recommend? I'm looking for a plan to cover me for the time I'm here. Existing home plan does not extend overseas..

Email me? (my email is in my signature..)
~partying, dancing? any gf want to bring me? yingyingcarol~gmail :) or j8de me at the same email!~

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 15 Nov 2010 1:12 pm

What do you want to be insured against?

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Tue, 25 Oct 2011 12:16 pm

beppi wrote:What do you want to be insured against?
Following up on the renter's insurance - is it necessary in Singapore?
In the US, we used to have renter's insurance against theft or fire or other such stuff on items inside the rental unit (the TV's, cameras, furniture, jewelry etc)

Thank you

wannamove
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wannamove » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 8:52 pm

wannamove wrote:
beppi wrote:What do you want to be insured against?
Following up on the renter's insurance - is it necessary in Singapore?
In the US, we used to have renter's insurance against theft or fire or other such stuff on items inside the rental unit (the TV's, cameras, furniture, jewelry etc)

Thank you

Anyone has any idea? Does the lack of responses mean that no one takes renter's insurance in Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Oct 2011 9:09 pm

I would say it depends on whether you furnished the flat or the owners did. Additionally, I suppose it would depend on how much you accumulate and the valuation/sentimental/replacement value would be if you were to lose it all in a fire or flood. Most renters insurance will also provide you an allowance to rent suitable lodgings until you can get the flat repaired as well, but at the end of the day, it's really up to you. If you have all electric utilities you might think about foregoing the Insurance if you are high enough not to have to worry about flood damage. On the other hand, I would definitely carry some sort if you have gas appliances like oven, burners, hot water heaters, etc., be they bottled gas or piped gas from PS (PUB). Check local insurance companies like NTUC Income, Great Eastern, AIA, AIG, etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kamikaze_j

Post by kamikaze_j » Wed, 21 Dec 2011 9:41 am

Hi!

In Singapore, if you look under the responsibilities of a landlord, he/she is required to pay for items like conservancy charges, insurance premiums etc.

I've never once seen an existing tenant wanting to purchase a home content insurance by himself/herself.

Cheers!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 21 Dec 2011 12:27 pm

That's because they go to AIG and not your insurance company......

Tiptoe very carefully, lest you find yourself in hot water here.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taleske

Post by taleske » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 10:30 am

How did you go on renters insurance?
We were wondering the same thing as we want to get contents insurance especially for expensive items such as jewellery etc in AUSTRALIA almost everyone has contents insurance whether they rent or own.

If you could let me know if you got insurance and what company you used that would be great

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 11:24 am

I gave you a clue in my post above. Google?

ACFA

Post by ACFA » Tue, 13 Mar 2012 4:36 pm

Any form of unapproved advertising is forbidden on this board (via PM as well). Even with honorable intentions please do not make any open connection to your current employer or any business you are formally or informally associated with.

jshi

One answer, one question

Post by jshi » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 10:38 am

1. Do renters insurance in Singapore cover your contents if and while you are moving houses within Singapore? I know they generally do in the US.

2. Check you lease carefully. I've only seen a few tenant leases but none have said anything about the landlord insuring the tenant's personal contents. At least one, has required the tenant to get their own renters insurance.

Renters insurance seems to range from 0.25 - 0.50% of the value of the contents per year. If answer to my above question is "yes", then that is significantly cheaper than the moving insurance that most movers offer at 1.5% of content value.
awww shi....!

jshi