Singapore Expats

Is importing a motorcycle a good idea?

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
franky-MS

Post by franky-MS » Thu, 30 Dec 2010 4:16 pm

@lilkitcat:
Ducati is a very special ride over here.
And little more expensive than in Europe.
The fun to drive is less:
You might use the 1st and 2nd gear and leave the rest for dreaming :???:
Therefore it is quite safe:
people over here drive like a group of sheeps.
Coming from East Europe, i guess not a lot SING drivers would survive the first traffic light in a city like Warsaw or Lwow. :cool:
You can have a look for a cool bike forum here ( in my personal opinion, there is just one...) and search for a Ducati.
Last times in class two was not too much offers for a nice Ducati.
There have been in the last three months two Multis, one of them is today mine :roll: .
So if you decide to stay with duce, just pw1

best regards
franky

PNGMK
Answers: 10

3 year old rule?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 12:12 am

Old post but I'm looking into importing a bike. Used and new bike prices have recently shot up and with the price of 5 year old bikes in Japan very low it's looking attractive.

The 3 year rule appears to be for cars only - it's explicitly mentioned in the links above. The 3 year rules is not mentioned in the motorcycle link.

Can anyone add to the conformance certificate requirement explanation?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: 3 year old rule?

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 2:50 am

PNGMK wrote:Old post but I'm looking into importing a bike. Used and new bike prices have recently shot up and with the price of 5 year old bikes in Japan very low it's looking attractive.

The 3 year rule appears to be for cars only - it's explicitly mentioned in the links above. The 3 year rules is not mentioned in the motorcycle link.

Check page 4, number 9 concerning age. Looks like it does apply to motorcycles as well.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... rcycle.pdf

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 9:34 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Old post but I'm looking into importing a bike. Used and new bike prices have recently shot up and with the price of 5 year old bikes in Japan very low it's looking attractive.

Check page 4, number 9 concerning age. Looks like it does apply to motorcycles as well.

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/o ... rcycle.pdf
Damn. I know a few people bringing in much older bikes but presumably they're classics.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 8:31 am

PNGMK wrote:Can anyone add to the conformance certificate requirement explanation?
Erm, I said it all above. A CoC (the Japanese call it something else) is a certificate produced by the factory when they test your bike at the end of the production line. For a European bike at least, that will include the emission tests in line with the Euro requirements that Singapore also uses.

Thus, if you have a new bike from overseas with a factory certificate of the emissions (and it meets the standards) you will not need further emission tests to import the bike here. Having that special bit of paper saves you any further hassle.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 8:32 am

Chris 525 wrote:You paid s$21k to import your bike here?

Ouch!!!!!!!

I should add that two years later I sold the bike for $25,000 :D
So once imported the bike adopted local value. I got three years of free biking basically.