Possible to block a phone number?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 2:32 am

Possible to block a phone number?

Post by intellectualsmuse » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 2:58 pm

Okay so I've been receiving annoying SMSes from this number that I don't recognise since the past 20 days or so. At first i thought the guy just had the wrong number and I messaged back to let him know. He still persists and sends me 3-4 messages a day which go something like:

U get my message or not what u doing tell me, U never send back to me, U get my message already want to talk to you...

Been ignoring all of them until Mr Nice guy called 2 days ago. I told him I had no idea who he was and asked him to stop messaging me. Also asked him where he got my number and he says "somewhere".

And the banal messages continue... Well, I could choose to continue ignoring them but its just really starting to annoy me...

Is there a way I can block the number? Not only calls but messages as well?
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39548
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 3:03 pm

IM, this has had most of Singapore agro for years already. They will not block numbers here. This is why you get spam all hours of the night & day. If you reply to unsubscribe, it's just like email, they know it's a good number and they sell it to other spammers. Not too much can be done other than the thing we don't want to do - change numbers. It's such a pain in the butt. Same goes for private callers who get your number. However, if there are threats etc. you can go to the police and file a complaint I believe, but whether they will follow up on it is another story. I think a crime has to happen before they will get up off their duffs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 3:27 pm

something similar happened to me. i had to install a call blocker app which i found on the internet on my phone (not an iphone nor an android phone). it's some stupid guy who doesn't understand 'you have the wrong number.'
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 4:52 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur!

Post by dazzlebabe » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 3:54 pm

next time, tell him you are going to make a police report for harassment and keep messages and time log of calls if possible. Call your service provider and let them know. If there is a number traced (not a private number) they can issue a warning letter.

Did that once and the calls stopped!
Just me

DazzleBabe

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Nassim hill

Post by QRM » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 3:59 pm

Why not get a recording of Singapore airlines, or premium line automated answer service. Stick that on your answer machine and divert the calls from him to that answer machine? He will soon give up.

teck21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 1:37 pm

Post by teck21 » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:19 pm

dazzlebabe wrote:Did that once and the calls stopped!
Or for an quick fix, go buy an iPhone, have it jail-broken, pay another USD15 (or so) for an app from the parallel universe app store and you get instant number blocking!

Thousand bucks or so all up to block all sorts of telephone contact from any given number, with different options on what to do.

Not sure if there is one to divert the other party's call to an expletive filled tirade though.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8348
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:37 pm

teck21 wrote:
dazzlebabe wrote:Did that once and the calls stopped!
Or for an quick fix, go buy an iPhone, have it jail-broken, pay another USD15 (or so) for an app from the parallel universe app store and you get instant number blocking!

Thousand bucks or so all up to block all sorts of telephone contact from any given number, with different options on what to do.

Not sure if there is one to divert the other party's call to an expletive filled tirade though.
I hope you're kidding.

But man, Android phones do this. Old Symbian phones also have apps for this. Either way, both cheaper than the iPhone solution.

I do like the reroute to SIA though.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

teck21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 1:37 pm

Post by teck21 » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:40 pm

Not kidding if poster is desperate enough to end the calls immediately.

I figured other smartphones have the same capability, just no experience with them.

Gonna junk my iPhone as soon as my contract allows. Truly is a piece of junk.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by ksl » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 1:16 pm

teck21 wrote:Not kidding if poster is desperate enough to end the calls immediately.

I figured other smartphones have the same capability, just no experience with them.

Gonna junk my iPhone as soon as my contract allows. Truly is a piece of junk.
Yes I'm sure it would be nice if there was a way to redirect his call, to a very expensive call line just for the fun of it!

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 2:32 am

Post by intellectualsmuse » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 2:15 pm

ksl wrote: Yes I'm sure it would be nice if there was a way to redirect his call, to a very expensive call line just for the fun of it!
I like this... sounds like a good business idea especially if the other "expensive call line" belongs to me and plays pre-recorded nursery rhymes-I can then redirect all junk calls to the other line and also make money off it. :cool:

The guy has stopped calling-he only sends me messages now. Easier to ignore but hate waking up to look at a "Are you awake yet-what u doing" kind of message every morning. Not deleting any of it though- for documentation purposes if need arises.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Nassim hill

Post by QRM » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 2:35 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote: "Are you awake yet-what u doing" kind of message every morning. Not deleting any of it though- for documentation purposes if need arises.
At least its better then getting a message saying "I can see you just woke up now"... :o

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 9:16 pm

Post by revhappy » Tue, 09 Nov 2010 2:41 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:
ksl wrote: Yes I'm sure it would be nice if there was a way to redirect his call, to a very expensive call line just for the fun of it!
I like this... sounds like a good business idea especially if the other "expensive call line" belongs to me and plays pre-recorded nursery rhymes-I can then redirect all junk calls to the other line and also make money off it. :cool:

The guy has stopped calling-he only sends me messages now. Easier to ignore but hate waking up to look at a "Are you awake yet-what u doing" kind of message every morning. Not deleting any of it though- for documentation purposes if need arises.
You should call the police straight away, or atleast threathen him about the police.

One of my friends had a bug in his phone or something which cause some 100s of blank messages go to one particular real estate agent's phone number stored in his phone. He was threatened about the police. Poor fellow he got so scared. :)

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 2:32 am

Post by intellectualsmuse » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 6:53 pm

Okay, so the saga continues-I reported the issue to my service provider and they said they would trace the number and send him an advisory letter. The contact centre exec told me that if I had saved the smses that the guy sent me I could directly go to the police. Anyways, I'd rather they send the guy an advisory letter first than go to the police straight away.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 2:32 am

Post by intellectualsmuse » Wed, 24 Nov 2010 3:05 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:Okay, so the saga continues-I reported the issue to my service provider and they said they would trace the number and send him an advisory letter. The contact centre exec told me that if I had saved the smses that the guy sent me I could directly go to the police. Anyways, I'd rather they send the guy an advisory letter first than go to the police straight away.
My service provider now tells me they can't send an advisory letter because the number belongs to another telco and that I need to file a police report and then fax it to them for them to do so.

Meanwhile I smsed the guy back to tell him I would report to the police if he continues sending messages and yet he continues... :-(

I guess will need to go to the police now...no option!
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

User avatar
QRM
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1831
Joined: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 5:23 pm
Location: Nassim hill

Post by QRM » Wed, 24 Nov 2010 3:44 pm

Sorry to say this but you made a big mistake of contacting him back, now he knows you are getting the messages and he is starting to make an impact on your life.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests