Singapore Expats

Good old fresh veggies

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
SeanDoyle

Good old fresh veggies

Post by SeanDoyle » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 7:58 am

Hi Everyone

I know this will have been spoken about many a time, however I have done a search and cant find the post.

But I am a keen cook and am finding it hard to get the dishes the way I want mainly due to the vegetables? I know you can buy organic veggies in cold storage etc. I am too wishful in thinking that you can obtain really flavorsome vegetables? ie large vine ripened tomatoes, eggplant, green cucumbers?

Thanks
Sean

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 8:37 am

Culina, and the hubber(sp) butchers at dempsy hill has a good selection but expect to pay top $ for it, there are one or two whole sale suppliers that sell artichokes, figs, asparagus at a more reasonable price but you have to buy in bulk we are talking 500-1000 dollars at a time for them to consider trading and delivering to your house.

SeanDoyle

Post by SeanDoyle » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 8:55 am

Thanks very much.

Is that the place that I am told will also sell risotto rice in bulk?

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:27 am

I've found that the veggies from the wet-market are more tasteful than those in the supermarkets since they're generally from MY and haven't be transported 1/2 way across the world at near-zero temps - but there is no guarantee.

SeanDoyle

Post by SeanDoyle » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:39 am

thanks i have heard about the wet markets, where and when would i find them?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:55 am

SeanDoyle wrote:thanks i have heard about the wet markets, where and when would i find them?
depends on where you live. most hdb towns have one. you may need to consult streetdirectory (google it) where such markets are marked. failing that, you'll need to do some exploring on foot. if you see an unusually large hawker center, chances are, there's a market adjacent to it. go in morning (i.e. before 10) as that's usually "market hours."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

beenthere
Regular
Regular

Post by beenthere » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 3:26 pm

carteki wrote:I've found that the veggies from the wet-market are more tasteful than those in the supermarkets since they're generally from MY and haven't be transported 1/2 way across the world at near-zero temps - but there is no guarantee.
100%.

Coming from California, I am spoiled for fresh (just picked this morning) veggies. I will now hit the HDB wet markets. I usually hit the Marsilin one, which is close to my daughter's school. Haven't quite trucked up enough courage to hit Tekka.

SeanDoyle

Post by SeanDoyle » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 5:01 pm

I live in Geylang, I have been trying to decipher from the Maps where might be the latest but dont profess to be any Bear Grylls at Map reading. Any suggestions?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 5:06 pm

SeanDoyle wrote:I live in Geylang, I have been trying to decipher from the Maps where might be the latest but dont profess to be any Bear Grylls at Map reading. Any suggestions?
try these:

Blk 51 airport road
between blocks 13 and 21, also airport road
Geylang Serai Market along Changi Road
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."