Singapore Expats

It's all coming now

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
anneteoh

It's all coming now

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 2:13 am

Season of festivals - London celebrated Guy Fawkes not for one nignt on the traditional 5 of November; but for more than 3 nights, fireworks exploded and boomed in defiance of the recession. What recession, one might say? It's just the British way of celebrating a protest aimed at the houses of Parliament. lol
Seriously, the festive season promises good cheer, open houses and glorious food - Hannuka, Deevali, Eid, Christmas, Hogamanay, New Year, Chinese New Year.
All that yummy food - but cholesterol worries follow after each banquet and a strict diet for the rest of the year is inevitable. Food worth eating?
I miss all the different types of SE Asian festive foods.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 7:33 am

no yummy food to celebrate guy fawkes.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 8:56 am

Thanks Anne! That's just what I needed to be reminded of. Between all of the mid-autumn festivities and then 3 weeks on the farm I really need to be reminded that Thanksgiving and Xmas and the whole slew of other local festivities here. :( Unfortunately I've put on several kilo in the past two months and I'm desperately trying to lose them before Thanksgiving starts the whole process over again! [-o<
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Re: It's all coming now

Post by nakatago » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 9:21 am

anneteoh wrote:Food worth eating?
I miss all the different types of SE Asian festive foods.
Oh yeah...I work around this by simply not going home to my country for the holidays (wink-wink)...

@SMS: You need to shovel some snow or something :lol:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 3:58 pm

durain wrote:no yummy food to celebrate guy fawkes.
I think GF is not a celebration but a protest this year anyway.
Traditionally, it celebrates victory over conspiracy for king and country.

Yes, but if you're in London for the GF fireworks, there're many, Michelin starred restaurants, no end of world food and endless cooking demos on tv. British food is no longer just roast, gravy and boiled vegs.

Plavt
Director
Director

Post by Plavt » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 4:02 pm

anneteoh wrote: I think GF is not a celebration but a protest this year anyway.
Traditionally,
:???: :???: :???:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 4:15 pm

Plavt wrote:
Traditionally,
Guy Fawkes Night, aka Bonfire Night = 5th Nov...

8-)

p.s. Anne, what do you sense people are protesting about this year, as opposed to celebrating?

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 4:27 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Thanks Anne! That's just what I needed to be reminded of. Between all of the mid-autumn festivities and then 3 weeks on the farm I really need to be reminded that Thanksgiving and Xmas and the whole slew of other local festivities here. :( Unfortunately I've put on several kilo in the past two months and I'm desperately trying to lose them before Thanksgiving starts the whole process over again! [-o<
Sorry, I forgot Halloween. When's Thanksgiving?
Some American friends once made us pumpkin pies/tarts which were really delectable.
The mid-Autumn and yummy mooncakes - I compeletly forgot and missed them this year. I used to eat just mooncakes for days esp the lotus paste/black bean paste with melon seeds. I put on a few extra pounds which were easily lost as ooncakes have paper thin pastry and the rest are bean protein.
But the round of invitations just round every corner from now - I remember Eid and being in Malay homes where the whole room was spread out with food and there were about 30 different kinds of 'kuehs!'

It's not difficult to lose.
1. From Monday - Friday Have in mind first thing in the morning that food
is not that good
2. Chant a mantra - Shed a pound a day
3. Eat only meat, vegs and fruit on weekdays
4. Never eat pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, koay teow, chocolates, biscuits,
cakes on weekdays
4. You will have all that weight loss to savour the special home cooked
menus and not disappoint your hosts at the weekends.

Wishing everyone a happy season.

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 4:41 pm

JR8 wrote:
Plavt wrote:
Traditionally,

8-)

p.s. Anne, what do you sense people are protesting about this year, as opposed to celebrating?
Ah, JR8, glad you're alive and kicking. I was getting a bit anxious if you're safe and sound.
Well, for a start, the weight of the massive national debt fell into the pockets of most of us here. Then, there'll be drastic cuts with people losing their jobs, housing benefits withdrawn or reduced to standard ( I agee with this) child benefits terminated for middle income fams, students fees raised to round 10,000 GBP a year etc. Plavt understands as he's around.
But if you're on an eternal holiday, living most of your time in the yellow submarine undersea, or is it in Germany now - you needn't worry but enjoy and tell us how this season of festivals go down in Deutchland.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 5:18 pm

anneteoh wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Plavt wrote: :???: :???: :???:

8-)

Ah, JR8, glad you're alive and kicking. I was getting a bit anxious if you're safe and sound.
Well, for a start, the weight of the massive national debt fell into the pockets of most of us here. Then, there'll be drastic cuts with people losing their jobs, housing benefits withdrawn or reduced to standard ( I agee with this) child benefits terminated for middle income fams, students fees raised to round 10,000 GBP a year etc. Plavt understands as he's around.
But if you're on an eternal holiday, living most of your time in the yellow submarine undersea, or is it in Germany now - you needn't worry but enjoy and tell us how this season of festivals go down in Deutchland.

Hi Anne, yep I am here, and getting back up to speed after my lengthy sojourne on Tioman.

Oh I see, how GF night has been kinda hijacked by disquiet at the (current) government. Isn't that an ironic role reversal :)

It seems Christmas markets are the big thing here. I haven't been to one yet, but will certainly report back in due course. I don't even like thinking about Christmas until into December...

anneteoh

Post by anneteoh » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 6:29 pm

JR8 wrote:
anneteoh wrote:
JR8 wrote: Hi Anne, yep I am here, and getting back up to speed after my lengthy sojourne on Tioman.

Oh I see, how GF night has been kinda hijacked by disquiet at the (current) government. Isn't that an ironic role reversal :)

It seems Christmas markets are the big thing here. I haven't been to one yet, but will certainly report back in due course. I don't even like thinking about Christmas until into December...
Yes, JR8. to be precise, I sensed it but it was intended as a protest as normally it's a one night celebration; besides, people aren't jolly happy to celebrate a govt victory this year are they?
Indeed, the truth's always a paradox.
Yeah, sorry about my focus on food instead of spiritual messages.
I see these religions having a common belief in having the Light instead of darkness.
Light = seeing, knowledge, joyousness, a way found, peace etc
Darkness = blindless or blight, fear, sleep, unknowing, war etc.
When I was working in SG , I heard a good maxim a couple of times -
People do not plan to fail; they fail to plan. Wish I'd listened to that and taken stock!
But, if you read SMS's post, we need a dietary plan to enjoy the festivals guilt free; or it'll end up with " What am I doing to myself?"