Singapore Expats Forum

EP Rejected after filing for Appeal also

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
judsonvinod

EP Rejected after filing for Appeal also

Postby judsonvinod » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 10:35 pm

Hi Friends,

My company has contract with another company to send me to singapore for one year, and they had applied for my Work Permit which was rejected and we were advised to file an appeal even that was rejected. I have done MBA in Finance and have around 14 years of experience. Now what are the options available for me to goto to Singapore...also i have to apply for EP again when can i do that. Your expert advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Judson

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Nov 2010 11:06 pm

It could be one of two problems. A) it could be your degree isn't recognized by Singapore (quite a few Masters & Bachelors aren't); or B) The company sponsoring you either could not justify or did not have the quota for issuance of the requisite work pass.

Your only option is to try with another employer. If it still doesn't work, then the odds are the problem is with your credentials. If that's the case, you may as well forget about Singapore as they aren't interested.

They generally will not explain what the reasons are as by doing it this way, it prevents a situation where then end up with "tailor made" applications.

All degrees are not created equal once you are outside of your own country.

judsonvinod

Postby judsonvinod » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:38 am

Thanks for your prompt response, there are two things i want to highlight....i have done my Bcom (degree) from Andhra University and my MBA through correspondence from Symbiosis Institute from Pune which is again a reputed one. I have seen the list of University which are put up in the MOM website and Andhra University is one of them. Will it help if i apply my WP based on my degree certificate?

My fixed salary would hv been around 6k, which i guess falls under the P2 category....does this category also has quota?

Will it make any sense if i apply after couple of months or i would be wasting my time.

FYI till no one were rejected from my employer who were sent to Singapore.

THanks

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 7:00 am

If your potential employer had applied for a P2 pass, then no, no quota's would be involved. WP usually designates Work Permit - which is the lowest work pass you can get here and is subject to a quota system. This is also followed by "S" pass holders which are also subject to stringent quotas. The remaining passes, Q, P1&2 & PEP are not, nor are the employers required to pay levies on these types of employees.

You must remember that EP are given out on individual merit and not in group job lots or groups of people from a particular industry or university. A reputed degree in one's own country doesn't always translate to reputed in other countries. As an example, there is only ONE Medical School in all of Asia that is recognized by the Singapore Medical Association and that is in Hong Kong. Often there are universities that have only a single or a couple of their degrees recognized here. Their name may appear on the "list" but not all courses are considered as being on the list. So, for us to try to second guess the MOM is somewhat foolish. Appealing, without the submission of new and "relevant" data is a waste of time from a personal perspective, but applying via a new employer may narrow it down to the difference between the employer and the potential employee.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 12:24 pm

Adding to what sms has already said, your MBA is by correspondence so it wouldn't have the same worth as a normal MBA. So you would be valued on the basis of your BCom degree.

It could be that there are enough locals here with similar skills like you, especially since you have 15 yrs exp with a salary of just 6k which means you are valued like a 5 yrs exp guy.

Another angle could be that there could be errors in your application and appeal which is causing the rejection especially since you are saying that your employer has never had visa rejections. But the key thing is were the profiles of the concerned candidates same as yours?