Singapore Expats

Using microSIM mobile internet with regular laptop?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
aster
Manager
Manager

Using microSIM mobile internet with regular laptop?

Post by aster » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 1:33 am

There are some good prepaid microSIM deals for the iPad from Starhub and M1, even though the regular mobile broadband offers are much more expensive.

Is there any way to use the microSIM with a regular laptop for cheaper internet access?

x9200

Re: Using microSIM mobile internet with regular laptop?

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:30 am

aster wrote:There are some good prepaid microSIM deals for the iPad from Starhub and M1, even though the regular mobile broadband offers are much more expensive.

Is there any way to use the microSIM with a regular laptop for cheaper internet access?
We use singtel uSIM with a regular down to earth mobile phone via an adapter personally manufactured by me with a sophisticated tool set consisting of scissors, piece of thin plastic sheet and double sided adhesive tape (depending on your SIM card holder) . If you are not that much into manufacturing business you can buy an adapters for SDG5 and it should work with a mbb modem.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 2:02 pm

I noticed that SH/M1 have prepaid microsim deals, but does Singtel have them too? I gave their site a look buy couldn't locate anything...

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 2:11 pm

So generally speaking if I get the SH microSIM and put it into a SH USB stick with the help of an adapter, it should then work with my laptop?

Or is the microSIM somehow "blocked" from working with a USB stick? :)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 3:27 pm

I can not guarantee it will work on the company politics side of the coin but I see no reasons why they should implement any preventive mechanism here.

They've got a prepaid too.
http://home.singtel.com/bbmobile/ipad/#/pricelans

On the other hand how cheap is cheap? I have 2 bbmobile 2-y contract plans at this moment and for the more recent one I pay sub 14$ a month with data bundle of 30GB + basic usb modem included. I have never exceeded 5GB mark and I use it daily. Even if this was mine main and only connection plan I doubt I would use up the limit but I am not that oriented to multimedia.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 5:04 pm

you need to double check this with the telco T&C but from what i know...

a SIM (normal or micro SIM) for use with a smartphone (iPhone, Android, Symbian, blackberry) are usually not allow to tether (this is where you connect the device to your computer to surf the net). also, the SIM for smartphone is voice and data, therefore the telco is hoping to make some money out of your vocie call. so if you use the SIM on a iPad which is data only, they are losing on the voice call.

data usage on tethering is also higher than on a smartphone, and that's why surfing the net on an iPad is not the same as on the iPhone (in terms of data).

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 5:07 pm

That's what I'm worried about - the company politics side of things - simply because the microSIM gives you way better value.

What is the 1-month plan with Singtel? Is that something that "automatically" renews itself or is it really a plan that ends after 1 month with no further paperwork?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 5:27 pm

@Durain, ...but we are talking about ipad plan, so no voice or mixed plans as far as I understand.
@Aster, I am not sure about the 1 month plan. With singtel typically plans gets extended automatically - of course you can terminate them freely any moment after the initial contractual period.
Better value? - How? How the company loses anything just because you use a different device providing there are some data bundles and similar technical capabilities?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 5:52 pm

x9200 wrote:Better value? - How? How the company loses anything just because you use a different device providing there are some data bundles and similar technical capabilities?
the telcos would want consumers to think that way, to cash in on ignorance.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 6:13 pm

Seriously, please explain it to me.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 7:21 pm

durain wrote:you need to double check this with the telco T&C but from what i know...

a SIM (normal or micro SIM) for use with a smartphone (iPhone, Android, Symbian, blackberry) are usually not allow to tether (this is where you connect the device to your computer to surf the net). also, the SIM for smartphone is voice and data, therefore the telco is hoping to make some money out of your vocie call. so if you use the SIM on a iPad which is data only, they are losing on the voice call.

data usage on tethering is also higher than on a smartphone, and that's why surfing the net on an iPad is not the same as on the iPhone (in terms of data).
Maybe in a third world telco country like the US, tethering is prohibited but I assure you that if you have a data plan in Singapore, you can tether your iPhone and use 3G data all day long.

Of course the SIM is voice and data but the place they make their money is in the PLAN... a combination of voice minutes and data gigabytes, and trust me, it takes a lot of surfing to use up all my Singtel data.

Having said that, as part of my Starhub TV package I got a 3G modem (USB) as part of the monthly deal... unlimited usage. I like it better than tethering my iPhone, and the Starhub speeds seem to be better than Singtel.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 9:08 pm

Here's a quick look at how much better the microSIM can be compared to the old pre-pay packages with standard SIM:

----------
1. microSIM: 2GB data (2.5GB total until end of the year) valid for 60 days at $32
----------
2. SIM: 5 days "unlimited" (+2 days free promo) so valid for 7 days at $25
----------

Easy to see which is better value for the prepaid used that doesn't use mobile internet for crazy downloads.

Hence I'd like to get a microSIM... but use it with a regular laptop and not just an iPad.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 9:33 pm

I don't see the differentiation between microSIM and SIM cards that you do. Seems to me, you choose a microSIM for a phone, a SIM card and USB stick, otherwise. Then, the plan prices are the same for either SIM.

http://www.starhub.com/broadband/onthem ... epaid.html

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 9:54 pm

I see no reason why it should be any differences. These are more to the marketing side of the plans not to the values offered. IMHO these plans are made purely to attract, not to prevent from using with something else. As a matter of fact somebody with the idea of using it with a different device may be here just the very marketing target.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 06 Nov 2010 1:27 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I don't see the differentiation between microSIM and SIM cards that you do. Seems to me, you choose a microSIM for a phone, a SIM card and USB stick, otherwise. Then, the plan prices are the same for either SIM.

http://www.starhub.com/broadband/onthem ... epaid.html
If you look at the 60-day plan there's some little print underneath:

^^ 60-Day data plan is applicable to MaxMobile Prepaid microSIM card only

Although it should make no difference to the operator whether they give you a SIM or microSIM card, they've chosen to only give the 60-day plan to the smaller cards that fit into the iPad.