Singapore Expats Forum

EP P1 holder applying for PEP - chances of success?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Broadleaf

EP P1 holder applying for PEP - chances of success?

Postby Broadleaf » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 5:43 pm

Hi,

I have been in Singapore for 6 months, working on an EP P1.

My wife and child are also here on Dependents Passes.

I earn S$26.5k per month and would like to switch to a PEP, plus Dependents Passes, in order to give me some job flexibility.

Can anyone advise me on what the chances of success might be?

Thank you.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 5:53 pm

Chances are probably excellent. By why switch? Unless you are planning on taking a lot less next job, your next EP will be a shoe in as well. I'd bet money that at your rate of pay your EP renewals will occur ad infinitum.

Broadleaf

Postby Broadleaf » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 6:02 pm

Great, thanks for the confidence boost!

I am not concerned about the EP renewals, I am looking to be able to switch employer should the need arise.

On a related note, am I correct in assuming that with a PEP, there is absolutely no way that I can run my own business here? I have read about the EntrePass, but some of the requirements just don't fit the nature of my business.

Thanks again.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 9:26 pm

Broadleaf wrote:Great, thanks for the confidence boost!

I am not concerned about the EP renewals, I am looking to be able to switch employer should the need arise.

On a related note, am I correct in assuming that with a PEP, there is absolutely no way that I can run my own business here? I have read about the EntrePass, but some of the requirements just don't fit the nature of my business.

Thanks again.

You cannot run a business on a PEP. Be aware though, that individuals with strong business skills and a good track record, have gotten around the Entrepass scheme, by creating a private limited and then getting an EP from the company they created. Search is good.

Broadleaf

Postby Broadleaf » Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:21 am

Thanks again for the heads up and the encouragement. I may have more questions in the near future - your advice is most helpful!