Singapore Expats Forum

Christmas Tree

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 4:56 pm

:lol: yeah I gather that as much. Though just wondering, out of context, if Mary is also upset about other things that are artificial as well? ...hmmm ...hmmmm :P

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 7:55 pm

We had a fake tree here in Singapore, but never in the States. But the prices for the real thing have come down and the quality is better. And yes, I do hate fake flowers and plants. I mean, we live in the rain forest fo goodness sakes... I came home from home leave and our maid, who loves to garden of all things decorated the house with plastic orchids. No they 'decorate' her room.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 9:44 pm

Yes indeed... :) nothing beats the real thing eh?

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Fri, 02 Dec 2005 11:23 pm

I'm with you MHB, I love real things too and not imitation, but with Christmas trees, well, sometimes depending on where you live, it just isn't practical.

Back home in Aus, we never ever had a real tree. The only real trees you can get there are just baby pine trees that have been grown for that purpose. Problem is they don't look like Christmas trees. nowadays they are getting better but still have branches that seem to go the wrong way if you know what I mean (the reason my dad would never buy one, he said they didn't look like christmas trees should).

Wow and if the weather is hot (a tad unpredictable in Melbourne), no matter what you do they lose half their needles before Christmas day arrives, and no way do they last for the full twelve days after. how do they survive here in Singapore??? Perhaps the humidity keeps them going (its almost non existent in Melb)?

I had my first real tree in Hong Kong year before last, a beautiful 7' Noble fir...it was gorgeous and now I don't know how I will ever go back to having a fake one.
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown