Singapore Expats Forum

Christmas Tree

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 1:57 pm

Eric from the Netherlands wrote:Here's where the family people among us get excited, isn't it? No x-mas excitement for me though, couldnot care less. As I am always expected to get backl to 'good old' Holland for this time of the year, I get these rainy days, sitting at a place that is no longer my home, 2 days in a row (which fool ever invented 'boxing' day ion Holland...), all shops, pubs and socializing places closed, so we can all sit around our christmas tree and 'celebrate' the birth of Jesus while holding eachothers' hands.... ugh.....

Wish it was 1st of Jan already... :-|

Eric

That is a sad little story. Listen, don't wish away any part of your life -- it can be over in an instant. Surely you can give your parents a few days of your time? Why not celebrate the fact that you are all together and healthy and free, all at the same time.

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 2:16 pm

:o first time in my living years... we've got a Christmas Tree up!!! Even though it's artificial... it's kinda nice... those blinking lights... hmmm....

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 3:24 pm

From what I've been told it is a European occasion but it was when the Church Alms boxes were opened and distributed to the poor is the way I understand it.

makes more sense to me sms thanks

actually I found this which enforces your theory & quoshes mine

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/boxing.asp
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 3:48 pm

madwolfie wrote::o first time in my living years... we've got a Christmas Tree up!!! Even though it's artificial... it's kinda nice... those blinking lights... hmmm....

madwolfie, if it helps I never saw a real xmas tree :) only artificial ones my whole life :)

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 5:51 pm

Tis the season to be jolly, falalalala lalalala ... more important is to have the true spirit of Christmas, ain't it?

And just what is the true spirit of Christmas? giving & sharing...? :)

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 8:00 pm

superedge wrote:
madwolfie wrote::o first time in my living years... we've got a Christmas Tree up!!! Even though it's artificial... it's kinda nice... those blinking lights... hmmm....

madwolfie, if it helps I never saw a real xmas tree :) only artificial ones my whole life :)

This makes me immeasurably sad :cry:

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 8:21 pm

Vaucluse wrote:(And Boxing Day is a fantastic day - has to be, it's my birthday!)

And my parent's wedding anniversary (55 this year, put that in your pipes and collectively smoke it! ) and one of my best friend's in the whole wide world, since we were 4 years old!

Boldog Szuletesnapot Muddica!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 30 Nov 2005 11:12 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:(And Boxing Day is a fantastic day - has to be, it's my birthday!)

And my parent's wedding anniversary (55 this year, put that in your pipes and collectively smoke it! ) and one of my best friend's in the whole wide world, since we were 4 years old!

Boldog Szuletesnapot Muddica!

And you call that an achievement??? [-X Pshaw!!!

(Geez, and to think that most of us have not even reached that age, let alone shared it with a partner . . . Kudos!)

Boldog Szuletesnapot Muddica
Hungarian?

'nuff said Image

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 5:51 am

Her parents both came to the US and studied at Yale after the revolution in '56. They are very dear people to me. If you have an appreciation for old books, you would have enjoyed touring her dad's workplace: he was the chief medical librarian at Yale for years. What treasures in there....

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 7:56 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Her parents both came to the US and studied at Yale after the revolution in '56. They are very dear people to me. If you have an appreciation for old books, you would have enjoyed touring her dad's workplace: he was the chief medical librarian at Yale for years. What treasures in there....

Sounds like my dreamjob :)

'nuff said Image

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 9:55 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
superedge wrote:

This makes me immeasurably sad :cry:

hi MHB,
as one of my favorite bands said: "why so sad?".
that's ok lah, no need to be immeasurably (thank you for the new word;)) sad, afterall is just a tree and xmas is more than that.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:21 am

You just don't know what you're missing :wink:

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 1:08 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:You just don't know what you're missing :wink:

hahaha...ok lah :)

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 1:16 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:This makes me immeasurably sad :cry:

Mary... just curious. Is it only artificial Christmas Trees or anything that is artifical makes you sad? :-|

superedge
Chatter
Chatter

Postby superedge » Thu, 01 Dec 2005 4:19 pm

madwolfie wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:This makes me immeasurably sad :cry:

Mary... just curious. Is it only artificial Christmas Trees or anything that is artifical makes you sad? :-|

madwolfie, I think she was referring to the tree, since I replied "no need to be sad, it is just a tree".
trees must be immeasurably (I liked that word) importants for xmas then :)