Singapore Expats Forum

Christmas Tree

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

In the spirit

Christmas Tree

Postby In the spirit » Sun, 07 Nov 2004 1:38 pm

It is our son's first Christmas this year and both sets of parents will be visiting over the Chrismas period and we have no christmas tree. We have been looking from China town to Carrefore to Ikea but have not seen anybody selling them. Does anybody know where we can buy a Christmas tree??
Cheers

strange

Postby strange » Sun, 07 Nov 2004 5:24 pm

It is unthinkable that you cannot find a christmas tree in singapore.
You can try GIANT in IMM or Spotlight in Orchard Road? I cannot believe Carrefour does not have....

I believe Tangs, Robinsons, Metro all sell Christmas trees, both green and white ones together with the sale of the decorative ornaments.

If you want one like ours where no decoration required and permanent lights are fixed on, you can try the fountain shop in anchorage.
It's a very small one but it is very useful as we can have it the whole year round in the night when we want to see the beautiful lights.

Hope you have a nice christmas in singapore

In the Spirit

Christmas tree

Postby In the Spirit » Mon, 08 Nov 2004 2:06 pm

Thanks very much Strange!! We actually went out yesterday evening and found some trees at Carrefour in Suntec City. I guess we were just out to early! Thanks again for your help!! :D

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 2:25 am

Well...enjoy your Christmas more now....it's really quite differently celebrated here.............. :D

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Buying christmas trees in singapore

Postby joop » Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:51 am

For the artificial christmas trees, try Concourse mall.

For the real ones, try far East Flora or those nurseries along Thomson Road, i'm sure they'll have loads of erm'.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 7:29 pm

The day after Christmas my daughter and I got rained out of MacRitchie, so we headed over to Candy's at Upper Thompson Road for a live Christmas tree. It is glorious, a 7ft Noble fir.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 8:57 pm

Why would you be putting up your Christmas tree now already?

Hmm, ok - new thread possibly. When do you put up your Christmas tree and why?

Traditionally we decorate our house as of the 1st Sunday of December - the first advent - and in time for St Nikolaus (Santa Clause) and then we decorate our tree on the 24th during the day, and the presents are opened ont he 24th in the evening.

'nuff said Image

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 9:04 pm

That's nice. We open presents on Christmas Eve too as Mr K's mum is German. But I keep a couple of things back for Santa pressies too... :)

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 9:07 pm

k1w1 wrote:That's nice. We open presents on Christmas Eve too as Mr K's mum is German. But I keep a couple of things back for Santa pressies too... :)

I knew I felt a connection! (well, there's the chc one as well)

'nuff said Image

JayV

Postby JayV » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 9:58 pm

k1w1 wrote:That's nice. We open presents on Christmas Eve too as Mr K's mum is German. But I keep a couple of things back for Santa pressies too... :)

That's the right thing to do.

As for Christmas trees, there is absolutely no hurry until December. In fact, it is a tradition in some countries to put it up only on Christmas Eve.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:51 pm

JayV wrote:

That's the right thing to do.

As for Christmas trees, there is absolutely no hurry until December. In fact, it is a tradition in some countries to put it up only on Christmas Eve.

Indeed:

Traditionally we decorate our house as of the 1st Sunday of December - the first advent - and in time for St Nikolaus (Santa Clause) and then we decorate our tree on the 24th during the day, and the presents are opened ont he 24th in the evening

(Wow, first time I've quoted myself like this - narcisism rears it's ugly head)

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:09 pm

In the meantime, Santa can be found here:

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:10 pm

Blasphemous! :o

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:12 pm

He's human, no?

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Carpe Diem
Manager
Manager

Postby Carpe Diem » Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:28 pm

sapphire wrote:He's human, no?

Since you ask...

I got this from a friend, whohad translated this from Finnish text. Remember, this is a scientific text. :-)

"We now present the results of our studies concerning the existence of Santa Claus.

1) As far as we know, there is no such species as a flying reindeer. In this point of our research we still have 300 000 animal species to study (most of these are insects). So there is yet a possibility that the flying reindeer of Santa Claus could exist.

2) There lives approximately 2 billion children in the world (who are under 18) but since Santa Claus doesn't work among the Muslims, the Hindus, the Jews or the Buddhists, he only has to visit approximately 15 % of all the children on earth (378 million of them). Since there are on the average 3,5 children in every household, Santa Claus has to visit 108 million homes (presuming that there is at least one good behaving child in each family).

3) Santa Claus has to do his work in 31 hours, taking into account different time zones plus the rotary movement of earth, and presuming that he travels logically from east to west. As a result of quick calculations we are to notice that Santa needs to execute 967,7 visits in one second. This means that in every house he has approximately 1/1000 seconds to park, jump off the sleigh, hand out the presents, run back to the sleigh and travel to the next house. Knowing, that these 108 million stops take place around the world and that the distance between two houses is approximately 1,3 kilometers, the total length of the journey is approximately 140 million kilometers. This means that Santa's sleigh has to travel approximately 1 040 kilometers per second, that is 12 500 times the sonic speed. For comparison, a normal reindeer reaches the speed of 25 km/h at best.

4) Another interesting item for research is the weight of the sleigh. Presuming that each child receives merely a medium-sized Lego-pack (500 g), the sleigh weights 189 000 000 kg. On top of this we have to consider that Santa Claus is often described as highly overweighted. On land, a normal reindeer can pull approximately 140 kilos maximum. Even with the assumption that a flying reindeer (see #1) can pull ten times more than a normal reindeer, we need more than eight or nine reindeers to pull the sleigh. We need 135 000 reindeers. This adds up the total mass (not adding the weight of the sleigh itself) up to 210 000 000 kilos.

5) The 210 000 000 kg traveling at 1 040 km/s produces substantial air resistance which causes the reindeer to warm up in a similar manner as a space ship returning to the atmosphere of the earth. The first pair of the reindeer consumes 14,3 quantum million joules/second/a reindeer. In a short period of time the first two reindeers will burst into flames, resulting in a chain reaction leading to the explosion of all the reindeers. The entire herd of reindeers will evaporate in 1/4260 seconds. At the same time Santa will meet 17 500 times the gravity forces. Santa Claus - with all his 120 kilos - will be pressed at the back of the sleigh by the power of 1 959 016 kilos.

In our studies, we came into the conclusion that if Santa Claus did in fact distribute the presents last Christmas - he is now dead. Another possibility is that Santa Claus is a fake, which theory is very unlikely since there are so many witnesses in the world who claim to have seen Santa regularly at least once a year. We shall continue the research.
With regrets, merry Christmas and a better new year despite this all.

(This text has been adopted from the Department of Research of the University of Technology.)"
ismo from Finland
(home country of the Santa Claus)
La vie est trop courte, profitons de chaque instant