Singapore Expats

iPhone 4 - should I buy in the US or in Singapore?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
goders

iPhone 4 - should I buy in the US or in Singapore?

Post by goders » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 3:32 am

Hi everyone,

I am going to spend a few months in Singapore (not long enough to be able to commit to a 2 year plan). Can I buy an iPhone 4 in the US, unlock it and sign up for a monthly plan (with a micro sim)?

Thanks a lot!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 7:13 am

You will not be able to get AT&T to unlock your phone until your contract commitment is completed.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 7:31 am

buy your iPhone 4 outright in singapore (unlocked, contract free and SIM-lock free) and use a PAYG SIM as you wont be able to get a 2 months contract in singapore.

16GB - S$888 = US$686 (from xe.com)
32GB - S$1048 = US$810 (from xe.com)

goders

Post by goders » Tue, 02 Nov 2010 6:03 am

Thank you for your answers. I can buy an iPhone here for $600 without a contract but my question is whether I can have a month to month plan with a mini sim card for the iPhone with M1 orother provider in Singapore. What is the PAYG sim card?

Cheers,

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:08 am

Heard from a couple of US friends that the iphone 4 packages here are far cheaper than the US (they went out and got them the next day!). Even if you're not here for the full 2 years - if you get a local bank account you can sign a 2 year contract and just pay off the monthly installments - may turn out cheaper than purchasing one outright. Also none of the phones here are network locked. Check out the local telco sites - starhub; M1 and singtel for their promotions.

Chris 525

Post by Chris 525 » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 1:22 pm

If you're an Expat, then when you sign up for a mobile phone contract here, you need to show your green card. No green card, then no contract.

The green card I refer to is the employment pass.

If you are on a social visit pass, then you have to use the pay as you go services, and buy a phone outright. I believe it is the same deal for the work permit holders.

Of course if you could find a willing Singaporean who could sign up on your behalf. Then that Is another possibility.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 4:19 pm

goders wrote:Thank you for your answers. I can buy an iPhone here for $600 without a contract but my question is whether I can have a month to month plan with a mini sim card for the iPhone with M1 orother provider in Singapore. What is the PAYG sim card?

Cheers,
Sim for iphone, Singtel pay as you go 38$ a month, easy to cancel contract on the monthly plan so i have been told, guy from UK is using his Iphone here.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 08 Nov 2010 5:04 pm

A regular SIM will also work in the new iPhone. You just need to apply scissors to it or buy one of these machines (looks like a hole puncher) that cuts a microSIM out of the regular one.