Singapore Expats

HOliday visa or PEP for job hunting in Sg?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Badhairday

HOliday visa or PEP for job hunting in Sg?

Post by Badhairday » Sat, 30 Oct 2010 6:14 pm

We would like to relocate from Germany to Singapore. Husband has a solid CV and I anticipate we should not have problems getting a PEP (personalised employment pass). As I understand it, you only get the PEP ONCE in your life and if you fail to secure employment you have pretty much blown your chance.

So, I was wondering, does it really increase your chances of getting a job if you have a PEP or should we just come over for a month on a visitor visa and look for a job and hope to be sponsored by an employer? Is it also possible that in the absence of a PEP we would be considered expats and therefore offered a better salary package?

Husband currently earns euros 75k working in IT (permanant job) and I'm also unclear on what the Singapore wages would be - so for now, we are just testing the water.

Thanks in advance

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 10:53 am

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Read the info, that should make the process for PEP clearer for you.

Expat packages are very much dependent upon the company you join and that would be dependent upon:

a. Your experience & qualifications
b. The employers attitude toward taking a foreign hire - i.e. is the foreigner that much better or has unique skills they cannot find in a local.
c. If the company can justify to the MOM they need a foreign hire

For the salary question - it's almost like saying how long is a piece of string. There are numerous salary surveys available to look at which are produced by recruitment agencies. It isn't always like for like from the West to SE Asia.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/18040421/Sing ... -2009-2010

In my personal view, it is much easier to find a position if you are 'physically' in the Country to attend interviews as employers will simply not take the risk on someone over the phone these days, and will generally not reimburse travel expenses and from Europe thats a big expense!! And also, they need to ensure you will be eligible for an EP (Employment Pass tied to a specific Employer) which can be a two way process - not just based on the credentials of the applicant but also that of the employer too.

Maybe look at a social visit initially after doing your diligence on opportunities available and if things work out you don't need to worry about staying longer!! If they don't but you feel there are some good prospects for you in SG take the plunge and apply for something more longer term such as an EPEC or PEP to allow you to remain in the Country longer.

Good luck and hope this helps.
Last edited by BillyB on Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asdracles » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 11:51 am

BillyB wrote: And on your second point - you cannot enter Singapore without a valid EPEC or PEP to actively look for work.
Sorry, any proof of this? I know lot of people that have came around here on a social visit pass to try their luck. If they manage to get a job offer, then they apply for the pass. Don't think they are doing anything wrong.

From the EPEC definition: "The Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC) allows foreigners to stay in Singapore for up to one year to facilitate their job search in Singapore."

So with no "facilitation" you can only stay one month. But I can't see any ban in looking for a job when you are in Social Visit Pass

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:21 pm

Asdracles is correct. You can enter on a normal SVP to job hunt. This will give you from 30 to up to 90 days (depending on your country of origin) to look for work if that is your intention. One is usually able to extend that SVP for up to an additional 30-90 days one time without raising any eyebrows with ICA. After that, you better make sure you have an LTVP though to be safe.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:32 pm

My mistake. Ditto with the correction.

I got a bit sidetracked on the post. I meant to express that it is much easier logistically if you have a longer term option if you are heading from somewhere far afield.

:)

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asdracles » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 12:49 pm

That's a valid point. More convenient.

You can stay here for longer withour job-hunting stress, if you can afford that. But if your passport allows you to get 3 months social visit pass, and specially if you can make some previous research from home, you should be ok.

I mean, if you can't find any reasonable offer in 3 months with active searching, it would mean that your chances are not very high even staying longer.

Anyway, is up to the OP to take the risk or not

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 1:07 pm

Asdracles wrote:That's a valid point. More convenient.

You can stay here for longer withour job-hunting stress, if you can afford that. But if your passport allows you to get 3 months social visit pass, and specially if you can make some previous research from home, you should be ok.

I mean, if you can't find any reasonable offer in 3 months with active searching, it would mean that your chances are not very high even staying longer.

Anyway, is up to the OP to take the risk or not
Completely agree. I was trying to be diplomatic by not mentioning timelines for securing employment!!