Singapore Expats

PR Marital Status

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Toma

PR Marital Status

Post by Toma » Sat, 30 Oct 2010 11:08 am

Me and my wife are Malaysian and we are both PR. We are both single when we applied PR. We got married in Malaysia on February 2010 and we would like to update our marital status but my marriage certificate is in Malay language.

How should we go about to update our marital status?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 30 Oct 2010 12:53 pm

Malay is official language in Singapore, thus the officers will accept your cert as it is. Why don't you ask them instead of us?

Toma

Post by Toma » Mon, 01 Nov 2010 9:54 am

I don't know which department. Anyone come across this issue?

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 01 Nov 2010 10:19 am

Quote from http://app.rom.gov.sg/internet/sitewide ... ration.asp

Q What are the common things I need to know, as a Singaporean/PR who have married overseas?
A 1) The law does not require couples who contracted marriages overseas to re-register (includes "converting" or "endorsing" a foreign marriage certificate) with the Singapore ROM. The marriage certificate issued by the competent authority of the foreign country may be accepted as prima facie evidence of a marriage between the parties named in the certificate.
2) You may update agencies which you have dealings with, about your new marital status. For example, you may wish to update your marital status with CPF Board (Central Provident Fund) to change nomination of CPF beneficiary.
3) If you wish to insert your husband's name into your identification documents, you may contact the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority.
4) If your spouse is a foreigner and you like to obtain permanent residence or citizenship for him/her, you may seek the advice of the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority.