Singapore Expats

[Help]Starting a family with my work permit wife BUT!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Nov 2010 8:53 am

newRays wrote: If you are both married and things are in order between she and her employer, you don't necessarily need an LTSVP for her. Of course it would always be good to have both but then the question you need to ask ICA + MOM is, is she eligible to apply for LTSVP while already holding a WP.
A person can only hold one residency pass at a time. If she is on an LTVP and applies for a WP, if successful the LTVP will be canceled when the WP is issued. However, married or not, once the WP is canceled, unless PR has been obtained (in which case she would no longer be on a WP anyway), she will again have to leave the country before returning on a SVP and applying again for a LTVP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hope123

Post by Hope123 » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 5:10 pm

Can i ask a question?
My PRC girlfriend whom i am marrying is not happy with working in the manufacturing sector. Very busy and work shifts and sometimes made mistakes and got warning by engineer. She feels like quitting and if i ROM with her, can she still stay behind first after quit on temporary pass from ICA
or must go back first then come back Singapore on LTVP? What if LTVP not issue? Then how? What kind of pass can enter first?
Thanks

Hope123

Post by Hope123 » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 5:17 pm

If she quit and return first, can she still marry me with my letter of approval from ROM? If so, how to marry if she is back to china already? Anyone can suggest me what to do? Thanks....quite worried...

newRays

Post by newRays » Sun, 21 Nov 2010 11:15 pm

Hope123 wrote:Can i ask a question?
My PRC girlfriend whom i am marrying is not happy with working in the manufacturing sector. Very busy and work shifts and sometimes made mistakes and got warning by engineer. She feels like quitting and if i ROM with her, can she still stay behind first after quit on temporary pass from ICA
or must go back first then come back Singapore on LTVP? What if LTVP not issue? Then how? What kind of pass can enter first?
Thanks
Ok this is how the temporary pass from MOM (not ICA) works: employer will need to know exactly when the WP employee will be leaving + the flight details in order to terminate their permit. Upon cancellation the WP will hav to be surrendered and said employee will receive the white letter (temporary pass). Typically the temporary pass will only be valid for less than 7 days.

in order for her to come here again you'll need to apply for her VISA first (note: NOT LTSVP)... ask her to bring her ORIGINAL highest education cert along. Once back in SG go to ICA and apply for her LSTVP which usually takes 3 months to approve. Short term visa last for 1 month, and you can extend it for another 2 times. Before tt maybe you can go to ICA lv4 and get the LSTVP application checklist from the reception and read through it first. Good luck!

Hope123 wrote:If she quit and return first, can she still marry me with my letter of approval from ROM? If so, how to marry if she is back to china already? Anyone can suggest me what to do? Thanks....quite worried...
This I am not sure. I advise you to proceed carefully, make sure you ask the official authorities regarding your question. But if you already hav the approval why would you wanna wait till she quits and return before you rom?

-newRays

homelygal

hi

Post by homelygal » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 2:24 pm

bro ray can help me

i am a singaporean gal loving a work permit guy from india

how to marry him? they say have to ask permission to marry him but my salary is net is 1400 ..wil mom approve

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Feb 2011 2:44 pm

Doubtful.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Eau2011
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Eau2011 » Mon, 14 Feb 2011 4:12 pm

beppi wrote:This is a typical example of how unscrupulous employers take advantage of (but not responsibility for) employees from third world countries who are motivated to work here by the money they can earn.

I think your wife is better off with another employer.
I am not a legal expert (you should consult one before any further move!), but I think if they terminate her (e.g. because she is pregnant) she shouldn't be liable for any damages. She can then get a DP based on your marriage and has the freedom to look for other work.
Is China a third world country? It's said it's the richest country in the world now, surely their citizens are mostly still poor.

homelygal

y

Post by homelygal » Wed, 18 May 2011 9:45 am

we did not do any wrong .......y the mom cannot aprrove our marriage sundaystaple

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 May 2011 10:15 am

Frankly, it's because that they only want the "brightest" to come to Singapore to sink roots. Foreigners on WP's are on the lowest rung of the ladder. S Pass holders just a wee bit above that, He would need to be on at least a full EP (e.g., degree holder) before MOM would probably consider.

WP holders aren't what the gahmen considers Foreign Talent, but foreign labour. Bid difference. Foreign labourers are disposable as they only do the jobs that locals do not want. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

Oh, one other thing, don't think of getting yourself knocked up. It won't mean anything to either ICA or MOM. You will just end up having to immigrate if you want to stay with the feller or you will be an unwed or single mother here in Singapore.

homelygal

hi

Post by homelygal » Wed, 18 May 2011 2:19 pm

but my friend's husband who was a temple priest with no education after finishing his work permit ....waited for 3 months then apply for marriage approval ..he hot it

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 May 2011 3:26 pm

So maybe your bf should be come a priest. :-|

homelygal

sad

Post by homelygal » Thu, 19 May 2011 1:49 pm

i am sad u make fun of me

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 19 May 2011 2:19 pm

Don't be angry with SMS - he's a very helpful guy, despite his strange sense of humour!

Since nobody here knows the exact criteria for approving marriages, you better ask MOM directly. Or just apply for permission and wait for the outcome.
If you are rejected, you can ask them for the reasons and maybe work on them before you re-apply (e.g. getting a better pay - easier said than done ...). It probably also helps to emphasize that you plan to settle and start a family in Singapore.
If all else fails, you still have the option to marry and settle in another country - though he'll then never be able to live in Singapore again.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 May 2011 5:22 pm

Nobody was making fun of her. If her bf doesn't have the qualifications to get a pass the normal route (odds are that he doesn't), there may well be some unwritten codicil which allows men of the cloth to somehow bypass the normal route here. Hence, my suggestion. Otherwise, he's got about as much chance as actually receiving $289 millions from a Nigerian 419 scammer! Also, without here actually being an heiress, I doubt that she is going to earn enough to make MOM change their minds or ICA as well even if they did allow her to marry him. ICA probably wouldn't give him an LTVP either.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: sad

Post by JayCee » Thu, 19 May 2011 5:29 pm

homelygal wrote:i am sad u make fun of me
How come you took 3 months to reply? You could have applied any known the outcome by now