Singapore Expats Forum

Questions about LPR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
milkman123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed, 27 Oct 2010

Questions about LPR

Postby milkman123 » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:11 am

I have been a silent follower of this forum for quite sometime now and I find the information posted here very useful.

I am applying for LPR in the next few days and I have a few questions before that. I know that if my application gets approved I will be given an in-principle approval with a condition attached, which in my case most likely will be to acquire a job in Singapore. My question is that are there any requirements as to what job I need to acquire. Like should it be relevant to my field of study with any minimum salary etc. or it can be any job anywhere with any salary.

Also, I understand its hard to comment on this but I would really like to know your opinion on what are the chances of my application getting successful. I am from Pakistan and have done Bachelor of Actuarial Studies from Australian National University and I don't have any work experience as I am a fresh graduate.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 1:35 pm

On what grounds do you think your LPR application will be successful?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Questions about LPR

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 2:30 pm

milkman123 wrote:I have been a silent follower of this forum for quite sometime now and I find the information posted here very useful.

I am applying for LPR in the next few days and I have a few questions before that. I know that if my application gets approved I will be given an in-principle approval with a condition attached, which in my case most likely will be to acquire a job in Singapore. My question is that are there any requirements as to what job I need to acquire. Like should it be relevant to my field of study with any minimum salary etc. or it can be any job anywhere with any salary.

Also, I understand its hard to comment on this but I would really like to know your opinion on what are the chances of my application getting successful. I am from Pakistan and have done Bachelor of Actuarial Studies from Australian National University and I don't have any work experience as I am a fresh graduate.


First of all, if you apply for LPR, currently you will have to wait for at least 12 to 14 months before it will be approved, IF approved. Assuming you do get an LPR approval, the requirement is the same for all applicants, not just you, that you acquire a job in Singapore. In fact, that is the ONLY way you can get LPR once you are given an IPA (In Principle Approval).

As far a the job is concerned, all you need to do is get a job. It doesn't need to be in your field or of any particular salary range. I've hired IPA LPR's for 1100/mo. (two, in fact) and after a year's service they moved on to greener pastures (as was agreed on upon hiring them - their request). Both were Indonesian Chinese accountants in my case but it really doesn't matter - one worked as an accounts exec and the other was just a clerk but it got them their PR.

sms

milkman123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed, 27 Oct 2010

Re: Questions about LPR

Postby milkman123 » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 5:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
milkman123 wrote:I have been a silent follower of this forum for quite sometime now and I find the information posted here very useful.

I am applying for LPR in the next few days and I have a few questions before that. I know that if my application gets approved I will be given an in-principle approval with a condition attached, which in my case most likely will be to acquire a job in Singapore. My question is that are there any requirements as to what job I need to acquire. Like should it be relevant to my field of study with any minimum salary etc. or it can be any job anywhere with any salary.

Also, I understand its hard to comment on this but I would really like to know your opinion on what are the chances of my application getting successful. I am from Pakistan and have done Bachelor of Actuarial Studies from Australian National University and I don't have any work experience as I am a fresh graduate.


First of all, if you apply for LPR, currently you will have to wait for at least 12 to 14 months before it will be approved, IF approved. Assuming you do get an LPR approval, the requirement is the same for all applicants, not just you, that you acquire a job in Singapore. In fact, that is the ONLY way you can get LPR once you are given an IPA (In Principle Approval).

As far a the job is concerned, all you need to do is get a job. It doesn't need to be in your field or of any particular salary range. I've hired IPA LPR's for 1100/mo. (two, in fact) and after a year's service they moved on to greener pastures (as was agreed on upon hiring them - their request). Both were Indonesian Chinese accountants in my case but it really doesn't matter - one worked as an accounts exec and the other was just a clerk but it got them their PR.

sms


Thanks very much for your reply SMS, it really helped in clearing a lot of doubts that were in my mind.
I might be wrong but I read somewhere that once the application of LPR is approved there are one of the two conditions that the applicant might be given to fulfill. The condition can either be to find a job in Singapore or it can be to move the family to Singapore within a year. Again I might be wrong.
From your explanation it is clear that the authorities don't care as to what job a person does. I was just concerned because actuarial science is a very specialized field and sometimes it is very hard to find a traditional actuarial role therefore I was intending to even look for non-actuarial roles in finance but I was worried that it might be looked upon as not relevant. Thanks for clearing this out.
12-14 months is a very long time but I guess I am comfortable to wait for this time.

milkman123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed, 27 Oct 2010

Postby milkman123 » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 5:35 pm

Saint wrote:On what grounds do you think your LPR application will be successful?


I don't know whether it will successful or not, all I know is that I fulfill the basic criteria to lodge the application.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 5:59 pm

milkman123 wrote:
Saint wrote:On what grounds do you think your LPR application will be successful?


I don't know whether it will successful or not, all I know is that I fulfill the basic criteria to lodge the application.


Well I assuming the criteria being you've graduated from a top 100 University? To be completely honest I reckon your chance of successfully being granted LPR are very slim. The Gahmen have been closing all the easy PR routes over the last year or so. Graduates from local Universities used to be invited to apply for PR but no more so it would be very surprising if an overseas graduate was granted LPR. Just my opinion.

milkman123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed, 27 Oct 2010

Postby milkman123 » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 6:44 pm

Saint wrote:
milkman123 wrote:
Saint wrote:On what grounds do you think your LPR application will be successful?


I don't know whether it will successful or not, all I know is that I fulfill the basic criteria to lodge the application.


Well I assuming the criteria being you've graduated from a top 100 University? To be completely honest I reckon your chance of successfully being granted LPR are very slim. The Gahmen have been closing all the easy PR routes over the last year or so. Graduates from local Universities used to be invited to apply for PR but no more so it would be very surprising if an overseas graduate was granted LPR. Just my opinion.


Yes that was the criteria I was referring to as my uni is in the top 20. Thanks for your opinion though, I really appreciate it. I think I will wait for 6 months after filing the LPR application and if it is still in the process by that time then I will come to Singapore on LTSVP (I already hold EPEC) and look for jobs.

milkman123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed, 27 Oct 2010

Postby milkman123 » Thu, 28 Oct 2010 9:37 am

On a different note, if I go to Singapore on EPEC and if I manage to find a job and EP there while my LPR application is still in process what will happen then. Will my LPR application be rejected as one of the basic requirements to apply for LPR is that the applicant shouldn't have worked in Singapore before.

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Thu, 28 Oct 2010 2:19 pm

milkman123 wrote:On a different note, if I go to Singapore on EPEC and if I manage to find a job and EP there while my LPR application is still in process what will happen then. Will my LPR application be rejected as one of the basic requirements to apply for LPR is that the applicant shouldn't have worked in Singapore before.


For your info, having a EPEC doesn't automatically mean you will be granted a LTSVP. But yes, if you get a job and an EP you will have to inform the ICA of the change of circumstances and would imagine your LPR application will be cancelled. Looks like you're going for a full house of visas!

milkman123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed, 27 Oct 2010

Postby milkman123 » Thu, 28 Oct 2010 10:26 pm

Saint wrote:
milkman123 wrote:On a different note, if I go to Singapore on EPEC and if I manage to find a job and EP there while my LPR application is still in process what will happen then. Will my LPR application be rejected as one of the basic requirements to apply for LPR is that the applicant shouldn't have worked in Singapore before.


For your info, having a EPEC doesn't automatically mean you will be granted a LTSVP. But yes, if you get a job and an EP you will have to inform the ICA of the change of circumstances and would imagine your LPR application will be cancelled. Looks like you're going for a full house of visas!


I understand EPEC does not automatically grants LTSVP but there doesn't seem to be any apparent reason for not granting me LTSVP but you never know there can be an unexpected result waiting for me round the corner.
You are right I am applying for a lot of visas. I am really interested in getting the LPR but if I can't get it then I will look into LTSVP but at the moment I am more than happy to wait for 6 months as I don't think job market is that good right now. Just my gut feeling it will be better in 6-8 months.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Oct 2010 6:51 am

From what I have seen on this site over the years is that those who keep applying for multiple visas usually get themselves in a jam sooner or later and create more work for themselves due to various crossed wires in the gahmen. Sounds like you might be another one as well. Are you from the sub-continent?

milkman123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed, 27 Oct 2010

Postby milkman123 » Fri, 29 Oct 2010 9:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:From what I have seen on this site over the years is that those who keep applying for multiple visas usually get themselves in a jam sooner or later and create more work for themselves due to various crossed wires in the gahmen. Sounds like you might be another one as well. Are you from the sub-continent?


Yes I am from Pakistan

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:41 pm

What can I say!

milkman123
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed, 27 Oct 2010

Postby milkman123 » Fri, 29 Oct 2010 1:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:What can I say!

Care to elaborate whats that supposed to imply.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Fri, 29 Oct 2010 1:43 pm

milkman123 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:What can I say!

Care to elaborate whats that supposed to imply.


I would suggest do some reading in the forum and see how even people from EU countries had their LPR rejected. Then do a proper analysis as to whether you stand any chance.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest