Marital status: what happens when it changes...

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
IceWharf

Marital status: what happens when it changes...

Post by IceWharf » Tue, 26 Oct 2010 6:05 pm

No, not getting married, it's the opposit. I have been seperated from my wife for over a year now and I'm wondering if 'seperated' is a status in Singapore and whether I should make this change official.

How will it affect my wife and kids MOM residence cards (I am on a PEP)?
Family medical cover at work?
Tax implications will be none I assume because I still provide all the support?

Also, when my girlfriend flies into the country can she say we are boyfriend/girlfriend to immigration or will that just be a huge mess (saddly she was turned-away last night and I could do nothing about it)???

Has anyone been down this road? Any advice would be most welcome.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Oct 2010 10:25 pm

Separated is not a status in Singapore. Being on a PEP should not be affected as that was only granted on your financial status and not on your marital status at all. Is your wife local or foreign?

You girlfriend is not going to be helped at all as there is absolutely no legal relationship between the two of you. There is nothing you can do there.

As long as you are married, you shouldn't have any problems with your children, etc. but as soon as the divorce happens, they may have a problem for sure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

IceWharf

Post by IceWharf » Wed, 27 Oct 2010 9:55 am

Thanks for the info, wife is European and currently living in Europe with the kids (not ideal for me).

Thanks for the advice.